May the storm be with you

Been a couple of momentary off and back on with the power here in Toronto. There's a good sized tree that had a big chunk of it come off down the street from us.

• Platinum Contributing Member
54 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

no I had the roof shingles done - they bend and snap, never buy this type again 

120 km/hr winds  can cause damage lol 

I have Fiberglas shingles. Currently about 18 years old. Still look great.

I was in a new neighbourhood when the wind hit (houses are all less than 6 years old). The street was literally littered with shingles. Large patches missing off many roofs including the property I was working at. I was walking between the houses when a 3 shingle slab came thumping to the ground 5 feet away from me.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have Fiberglas shingles. Currently about 18 years old. Still look great.

I was in a new neighbourhood when the wind hit (houses are all less than 6 years old). The street was literally littered with shingles. Large patches missing off many roofs including the property I was working at. I was walking between the houses when a 3 shingle slab came thumping to the ground 5 feet away from me.

they look great here too,, fucking things don't seem to be sticking the the overlapped shingle and bend up (in this wind)

an hour tomorrow I should have it all fixed up - not going up until the wind dies down 

Power went out @ 8:30 & fired up the genny. We've had it & the Gen R Link for about 3 years but have never had to use it, so it's practice to set it up & getting it running.

11 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Major outage around here. No hydro from the Ultramar in Fenelon all the way up here. Trees are down everywhere

Hydro 1 says just over 6000 customers affected in our area & estimated restoration tomorrow @ 4 PM

32 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Tree crew worker was killed today while clearing hydro lines outside Milton.  A second worker is in critical condition.

News said tree fell on them.

Some guy electrocuted in Hamilton after trying to move a live wire from a street.

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

Power back on around 10

We might be without hydro in the area till sometime Sunday. I was heading up the dirt road to get into our place and saw cars coming the other way which is rare. A lady stops and says the road is closed. Good thing didn't have to go all the way to turn around

Our power was out for approx. four hours. I thought oh well and went to bed. Then suddenly realized the sump pump has been running because of the rain from last night. Had to get up and start the generator to clear out the sump hole. Twenty minutes later the power comes back on.

43 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Our power was out for approx. four hours. I thought oh well and went to bed. Then suddenly realized the sump pump has been running because of the rain from last night. Had to get up and start the generator to clear out the sump hole. Twenty minutes later the power comes back on.

With the rain/meltdown our sump has been working overtime. The ground is completely saturated and we need some hot dry days. Without the standby genny the basement would be flooded

• Like 1

A fence blew down from the wind?  Maybe you'd better hire a pro next time.....

17 hours ago, Poncho said:

A portion of my fence blew down and the pool heater and filter pump fence snapped off at the base.......I will re-evaluate tomorrow.  Nothing money can’t fix.

17 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

they look great here too,, fucking things don't seem to be sticking the the overlapped shingle and bend up (in this wind)

an hour tomorrow I should have it all fixed up - not going up until the wind dies down 

roof done - hot as fuck up there

torn 3 shingles from a shed I have to repair/enlarge, couple tubes of tar and all set.

found at least 30 shingles with leading edge flapping - other than that roof looks mint again 

next high job is getting the birds out of the soffit - hate those big black birds