America's affinity for short-term thinking....

It's LONG been said that we as American's think too much about the here and now, and NOT enough about tomorrow.  Hyper focus on today without regard to tomorrow can often times lead to trouble down the road.  Anyone disagree?  

Unchecked borders and unchecked shenanigans from our trading partners come with potential ugly consequences for the avg legal American.  We're increasingly living through said consequences each day.

Say what you will about Trump (I think he could execute FAR differently).  But AT LEAST we finally have someone in office willing to sacrifice something in the short-run for a better long run (think border security and fair trade). 

Longer-term, China unchecked and open borders is a net liability to the avg legal American. Fixing said issues won't come cost free in the short-term...think return on investment.  :bc:   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Where was all this patience while decrying Obama's recovery as the slowest ever? 

I don't recall Obama tackling BIG issues that negatively impact the avg legal American. Oh wait, he did try with healthcare.  That hasn't ended well.  Hoping Trump's efforts deliver more net upside to the avg American, LONGER-TERM.  :bc: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Im4snow said:

It's LONG been said that we as American's think too much about the here and now, and NOT enough about tomorrow.  Hyper focus on today without regard to tomorrow can often times lead to trouble down the road.  Anyone disagree?  

Unchecked borders and unchecked shenanigans from our trading partners come with potential ugly consequences for the avg legal American.  We're increasingly living through said consequences each day.

Say what you will about Trump (I think he could execute FAR differently).  But AT LEAST we finally have someone in office willing to sacrifice something in the short-run for a better long run (think border security and fair trade). 

Longer-term, China unchecked and open borders is a net liability to the avg legal American. Fixing said issues won't come cost free in the short-term...think return on investment.  :bc:   

He seems to be doing the exact opposite of your assessment.  He is all to happy to make short term waves at the expense of long term chaos.  He lacks forsight and is a reactionary being.  He is a poor President and a poor leader.

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

He seems to be doing the exact opposite of your assessment.  He is all to happy to make short term waves at the expense of long term chaos.  He lacks forsight and is a reactionary being.  He is a poor President and a poor leader.

Neal

He's got his issues as a leader/pres, no denying that.  But I'm not surprised you'd see things as polar opposite as I see them.  :bc:  

Regardless, it's a leader's job to tackle the big issues that ARE hurting our country, LONG-TERM.  Too bad Trump's tactics and strategy could be much better, imo.  But this isn't over yet either....so lets see how things unfold.

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

I get people being upset with his methods of communication but I disagree that he doesn't have long term goals in mind. 

Sometimes actions or tough rhetoric has to be done to even get Countries to the bargaining table.  

I don't think anyone would say that while a positive trade balance with China won't be possible for a long time or maybe even ever the huge deficit we have now should be a goal for improvement.   

Honestly you sound a bit bitter because you think its hurting you.  

Edited by Highmark

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Good topic.   Trump has made some mistakes but has done a good job so far.  

In essence, our elected official's have continued to take the soft balls......deferring the harder choices until shit hits the fan.  Say what one will about Trump, but he's not afraid to tackle tough issues that absolutely need our attention.  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I get people being upset with his methods of communication but I disagree that he doesn't have long term goals in mind. 

He has long term goals in mind for only himself.  He doesn't give two shits about middle class America, it's pretty plain to see.

Neal

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

He has long term goals in mind for only himself.  He doesn't give two shits about middle class America, it's pretty plain to see.

Neal

:lol:   

14 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

He's got his issues as a leader/pres, no denying that.  But I'm not surprised you'd see things as polar opposite as I see them.  :bc:  

Regardless, it's a leader's job to tackle the big issues that ARE hurting our country, LONG-TERM.  Too bad Trump's tactics and strategy could be much better, imo.  But this isn't over yet either....so lets see how things unfold.

We shall see. 

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

his vision for middle class america is a return to the 50's which just isn't gong to happen. hell look at all the factory jobs he "saved" that are still going away. 

I honestly don't think he set goals with his needs at the forefront unless hes truly blind to how his actions are going to destroy his brand i think he's just old and out of touch like most in their 60's and 70's.  

2 hours ago, Im4snow said:

Yeah what do you say about a $20 trillion dollar debt, $1 trillion dollar annual deficit and a $700 billion (and growing) military budget? Is that preparing us for the future? 

5 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Yeah what do you say about a $20 trillion dollar debt, $1 trillion dollar annual deficit and a $700 billion (and growing) military budget? Is that preparing us for the future? 

Our budget deficits (and resulting outstanding debt) are a national security issue, and a standard of living issue that should be addressed.  How?

Any year our annual deficit exceeds 3% of GDP, those in national public office are ineligible to run for re-election.  Said incentive encourages spending constraint (unless it really makes sense) and also encourages rational policy and regulation to best ensure GDP can grow.  

Next.  

Edited by Im4snow

4 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

no shit trumpers blind to the fuck bankrupting us with his fiscal irresponsibility is maddening.  But it's OK cause he now loves Jesus and hates brown people  SMH

3 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

Our budget deficits (and resulting outstanding debt) are a national security issue, and a standard of living issue that should be addressed.  How?

Any year our annual deficit exceeds 3% of GDP, those in national public office are ineligible to run for re-election.  Said incentive encourages spending constraint (unless it really makes sense) and also encourages rational policy and regulation to best ensure GDP can grow.  

Next.  

Well these Republicans were stomping their feet over our runaway debt just a few years ago and now they have gone and doubled our deficit.

I would like to see an end to these military endeavors that we have no fucking business in. Why are we still in Afghanistan? Why are we in Syria giving aid to groups that are our "enemy"? Why are we in the middle East period? Our military budget is unsustainable and is going to consume us, not just with the cost of warfare but also with long term vet benefits and increases in security at home. 

Until these faggots start talking about that, they aren't serious about our fiscal situation or our future. 

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

no shit trumpers blind to the fuck bankrupting us with his fiscal irresponsibility is maddening.  But it's OK cause he now loves Jesus and hates brown people  SMH

Trump has doubled down on alot of shit they condemned Obama for but now they love it. Neoconism is a mental disorder. 

1 minute ago, Nazipigdog said:

Well these Republicans were stomping their feet over our runaway debt just a few years ago and now they have gone and doubled our deficit.

I would like to see an end to these military endeavors that we have no fucking business in. Why are we still in Afghanistan? Why are we in Syria giving aid to groups that are our "enemy"? Why are we in the middle East period? Our military budget is unsustainable and is going to consume us, not just with the cost of warfare but also with long term vet benefits and increases in security at home. 

Until these faggots start talking about that, they aren't serious about our fiscal situation or our future. 

I don't totally disagree with what you've said.  But I still agree with Colin Powell when he said the best way to ensure peace is to prepare for war.  And it's better to be a little over rather than under prepared, imo.  But the bigger issue that impacts the DOD, as well as ALL Gov, is a lack of accountability.  That's not news and unfortunately never seems to get addressed.

But the plan I described above would help address that, cause it'll get the people responsible for doling out $$ to magically give a shit about what they're getting for said spending.

Its opposite day in kneeels world 24/7/365.25 :flush: 

I don't totally disagree with what you've said.  But I still agree with Colin Powell when he said the best way to ensure peace is to prepare for war.  And it's better to be a little over rather than under prepared, imo.  But the bigger issue that impacts the DOD, as well as ALL Gov, is a lack of accountability.  That's not news and unfortunately never seems to get addressed.

But the plan I described above would help address that, cause it'll get the people responsible for doling out $$ to magically give a shit about what they're getting for said spending.

Nobody is attacking us or has attacked us. We are attacking. Thats not defense thats offense. Not what the military is supposed to be used for. 

3 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Nobody is attacking us or has attacked us. We are attacking. Thats not defense thats offense. Not what the military is supposed to be used for. 

Thx for the blinding insights.  An extremely capable defense keeps us all sleeping a little better each night.  That's priceless.  :bc:  

2 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

Thx for the blinding insights.  An extremely capable defense keeps us all sleeping a little better each night.  That's priceless.  :bc:  

How does the rest of the world sleep at night? :lol: Unless you are in a country WE are bombing I think everybody else sleeps pretty good and doesnt spend $700+ billion. Crazy how we are all about peace and democracy yet we are the most imperialistic (militarily) and then topple govts and let chaos ensue. Maybe we could stop that shit and everybody will just have to get some ambien?