Snow Bikes

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

I come from a motox background, and gotta say,it's cool for sure. ... but can u ride them on trails? That's where all my riding is these days lol 

Mostly back country from what I understand :bc: 

9 hours ago, ckf said:

Mostly back country from what I understand :bc: 

1 minute ago, soupkid said:

Not legal on trails in Ontario.

From what I have heard they are very hard to drive on a groomed trail

I think I remember reading about that now. Mainly used for backcountry stuff,also not legal on most trails ,and also hard to ride on trails 

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, not legal on trails.  In Ontario they are legal on recreational motorized use crown land, as long as you have insurance.  Rumour has it that cats launch of the svx is now delayed till next year.  There will be a handful of them at dealers apparently.  The delay is due to not being able to have it approved to the snowmobile standards.  

As far as them not being trail worthy, it really depends on which kit you're using, and the condition of the trail. On a freshly groomed trail, they handle quite well.  Arguably the best trail setup is the '16 timbersled convex track, and these http://snowbikekits.com/product/gold-standard-wear-skeg-fits-timbersled-10-backcountry-ski/

They will probably never keep up with sleds on the trail, but the fun is off trail.  Personally I would love to see them trail legal, as I live almost trail side, and it would be nice to go for a rip out of the garage.  But I exclusively trailer to off trail spots, which is a bit of a pain, but not a deal breaker.  

The other good news is that kits are getting cheaper.  And used complete setups are selling for fair prices.  

23 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Ya, not legal on trails.  In Ontario they are legal on recreational motorized use crown land, as long as you have insurance.  Rumour has it that cats launch of the svx is now delayed till next year.  There will be a handful of them at dealers apparently.  The delay is due to not being able to have it approved to the snowmobile standards.  

As far as them not being trail worthy, it really depends on which kit you're using, and the condition of the trail. On a freshly groomed trail, they handle quite well.  Arguably the best trail setup is the '16 timbersled convex track, and these http://snowbikekits.com/product/gold-standard-wear-skeg-fits-timbersled-10-backcountry-ski/

They will probably never keep up with sleds on the trail, but the fun is off trail.  Personally I would love to see them trail legal, as I live almost trail side, and it would be nice to go for a rip out of the garage.  But I exclusively trailer to off trail spots, which is a bit of a pain, but not a deal breaker.  

The other good news is that kits are getting cheaper.  And used complete setups are selling for fair prices.  

They seem to be popular in the Chic Choc mountains  of Quebec.

• Like 1

They are becoming very popular here in Oregon. No restrictions as far as riding trails since our regulations specify that any vehicle with a track is legal. 

I'm looking forward to getting on one this season.  I should have free access them as a tour company I do maintenance for is going to have some in their fleet

Just now, Mikeadoo said:

They are becoming very popular here in Oregon. No restrictions as far as riding trails since our regulations specify that any vehicle with a track is legal. 

I'm looking forward to getting on one this season.  I should have free access them as a tour company I do maintenance for is going to have some in their fleet

I've got a buddy that's in McCall Idaho, they are getting more popular there, too.

32 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I saw a number of them in the UP this past winter, for you can get down tighter goat paths with them than a sled.

Thanks for stopping by our snowmobile forums :bc: