Missing boy near Orangeville...

Puzzleboy

Sad, unlikely they'll find him alive. 

The mother drove through a Road Closed sign to reach the washout...... this is what can happen when you ignore closed routes. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/02/21/car-plunges-into-grand-river-near-orangeville-police-emergency-services-search-river.html

Edited by Puzzleboy

• Platinum Contributing Member

Watched it on the news tonight. They said she lived very close to where the incident occurred. Sounds like she drove around the road closed signs to avoid going the long way around.

Very sad, I can't imagine.

She and the kid got out of the car and then she lost her grasp on the kid that was swept away... how do you live with that knowing you could have avoided it all. Tragic

Edited by 02sled

Every year the  river br aks the banks in grand valley and I would never have guessed it was a local that was sept away, I live down stream by belwood lake and hope This never happens to me, wish the best of luck but it’s been awhile for such a wee man 

Apparently there was so much fog she didn’t know were she was.  If I was in that position my kid would come to shore with me or I would  have died trying. How is she going to live with this?

2 hours ago, Oggy said:

Apparently there was so much fog she didn’t know were she was.  If I was in that position my kid would come to shore with me or I would  have died trying. How is she going to live with this?

That is also what I heard. She didn't see the "Road Closed" signs due to the fog which is completely believable. The fog was so thick up here that night my wife literally had to stop several times on her way home and get her bearings or risk driving off the road. 

Most people don't realize but it only takes about 24" of water to start floating the average passenger vehicle. Once the tires lose contact with the road any sort of current will easily sweep it away.

A very sad story regardless and an absolute living nightmare for the mother I am sure.

• Like 1

Well, if she missed the road closed sign, why was she turning around?  The first night of reporting said she "drove around" the barrier, and the barrier was clearly blocking the road.  If she could not "see" it because of the fog, she would have struck it.  If the fog was so dense you could not see a couple feet in front of your bumper, why proceed?  Something doesn't add up. 

A tragedy nonetheless, but completely preventable.  And of course, if they don't find her even partially responsible, she'll be suing everybody. 

I think she made several stupid mistakes (JMO).  She put herself, her child, and hundreds of searchers in jeopardy.  What if it was YOUR kid she was driving home, and was now lost..... would you not want her actions and story thoroughly checked out?  Cell/text records checked?  Van's data recorder checked?   Of course you would. 

Anybody who claims "you're blaming the victim"....., save it.  Not the case at all;  just hope it's fully checked out. 

If it checks out, fine. 

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Sad 1

I'm still waiting for Trudope.... he comments on everything such as a fictional assault on a young Muslim. Where are his comments on the flooding and the hardships being felt by so many people in Ontario right now and in particular the loss of the small boy's life.

I guess it's not important enough for him? By and large it hasn't been an impact to Muslim's aboriginals, transgenders or any of the other groups he takes a keen interest in.

Sorry... to be fair he must be preoccupied with damage control from his India fiasco flop.

Edited by 02sled
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

I'm still waiting for Trudope.... he comments on everything such as a fictional assault on a young Muslim. Where are his comments on the flooding and the hardships being felt by so many people in Ontario right now and in particular the loss of the small boy's life.

I guess it's not important enough for him? By and large it hasn't been an impact to Muslim's aboriginals, transgenders or any of the other groups he takes a keen interest in.

Sorry... to be fair he must be preoccupied with damage control from his India fiasco flop.

They should have revoked his visa and sent him packing.  Obviously what Trudeau says and what he does are in conflict.   What an embarrassment.

• Thanks 1

India even said Trudeau dressed "too Indian for India"....... lol

What an unfolding national embarrassment he continues to be each and every day.....

Even the Liberal rags are saying "10% business, 90% family vacation." 

Now that's saying something. 

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

I don't want to judge the poor woman, she has to be in absolute agony and has to live with this for the rest of her life.  But what in the fuck was she doing driving around with a three year old at 1am?

Taking the boy to the hospital.

That's not judging, it's a fair question.  So is asking for her BAC levels, THC levels, etc.  Checking her cell records.  And fully investigating her version of events without political interference. 

The tragedy is the same regardless, barring some miracle.  But the law is not only there to be punitive; it is also to deter others from making similar "mistakes". 

Again, not implying fault here; just hope everything is checked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This happened just down river from Grand Valley, about 15 minutes west of Orangeville. I got out once last weekend, it’s amazing how wide the river got in some places. We were walking in land in some places 200-300 feet or more. From a river that in the middle of summer that hardly has enough water to float a canoe. 14 km of river to search from the point of entry to Bellwood lake, plus the lake where I understand the police have divers.