She speaks the truth, when will we again learn to discipline?

XCR1250

EUSTIS, Fla. - The teacher of the year at a Lake Countyschool shared her thoughts about a mass shooting in South Florida in a Facebook post that has been shared more than 250,000 times as of Friday morning.

Kelly Guthrie Raley, who teaches at Eustis Middle and was named the school's teacher of the year earlier this month, made the post after 17 people were shot and killed Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.

• Aaron Feis, assistant football coach

Raley began her post by saying, "Okay, I’ll be the bad guy and say what no one else is brave enough to say, but wants to say. I’ll take all the criticism and attacks from everyone because you know what? I’m a TEACHER. I live this life daily. And I wouldn’t do anything else! But I also know daily I could end up in an active shooter situation."

Raley then gave the reasons why she thinks school shootings continue to occur.

"Until we, as a country, are willing to get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues, lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?), lack of moral values, and yes, I’ll say it -- violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives, as well as reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves, we will have a gun problem in school. Our kids don’t understand the permanency of death anymore!!!"

Raley went on to say that she grew up with guns.

"But you know what? My parents NEVER supported any bad behavior from me. I was terrified of doing something bad at school, as I would have not had a life until I corrected the problem and straightened my ass out. My parents invaded my life. They knew where I was ALL the time. They made me have a curfew. They made me wake them up when I got home. They made me respect their rules. They had full control of their house, and at any time could and would go through every inch of my bedroom, backpack, pockets, anything! Parents: it’s time to STEP UP! Be the parent that actually gives a crap! Be the annoying mom that pries and knows what your kid is doing. STOP being their friend. They have enough 'friends' at school. Be their parent. Being the 'cool mom' means not a damn thing when either your kid is dead or your kid kills other people because they were allowed to have their space and privacy in YOUR HOME ... I was taught respect for human life, compassion, rules, common decency, and most of all, I was taught that until I moved out, my life and bedroom wasn’t mine...it was theirs. And they were going to know what was happening because they loved me and wanted the best for me."

Raley said her post wasn't about gun control.

"This was me, loving the crap out of people and wanting the best for them. This was about my school babies and knowing that God created each one for greatness, and just wanting them to reach their futures."

Raley ended her post by asking, "When are we going to take our own responsibility seriously?"

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Because they have to deal with it everyday. 

And who better to speak out about these shooting where a student goes in to kill other students

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

And who better to speak out about these shooting where a student goes in to kill other students

Exactly , but kev dosnt want to hear it. He would rather take away peoples rights .

My 3 kids thought I was mean to them because I, like the Teacher above, controlled every aspect of their young lives till they were old enough to be on their own, all 3 turned out fine, the oldest one died at age 37 from a blood clot, she was a legal assistant and did good for herself while she was here, the other 2 have kids  and several are in College. I think I raised them the right way and it worked.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

My 3 kids thought I was mean to them because I, like the Teacher above, controlled every aspect of their young lives till they were old enough to be on their own, all 3 turned out fine, the oldest one died at age 37 from a blood clot, she was a legal assistant and did good for herself while she was here, the other 2 have kids  and several are in College. I think I raised them the right way and it worked.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter.

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

\\"Until we, as a country, are willing to get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues, lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?), lack of moral values, and yes, I’ll say it -- violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives, as well as reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves, we will have a gun problem in school. Our kids don’t understand the permanency of death anymore!!!"

"This was me, loving the crap out of people and wanting the best for them. This was about my school babies and knowing that God created each one for greatness, and just wanting them to reach their futures."

:lol::lol::lol: This bitch sounds like a born-again version of Tipper Gore. The 50's ain't coming back yall, get the fuck over it.

15 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

:lol::lol::lol: This bitch sounds like a born-again version of Tipper Gore. The 50's ain't coming back yall, get the fuck over it.

People like you are a big part of the problem.... hopefully you dont own any guns.

2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

I see more and more teachers talking about "Parenting" and "Mental Health" issues  :read: 

Indeed, parenting is pretty poor at present.  I don't understand how people can be so disengaged in their kids lives.  I travel 100% for work so I should be at the top of the disengaged parent list.  It's sad.

Neal

Kids are tending more and more to do whatever they want with impunity. You have parents afraid to discipline their kids because the kids know that if they get a whack on the behind they can report their parents for abuse.

Every time I read or see on the news a gang member being shot and killed.... wait for it. The mother, family and friends come out crying on how he was such a nice boy and a good son.

When I was a kid I actually thought about the consequences of what I was about to do and how much trouble I might be in. I did some stupid things but nothing outrageous.

She hit the nail on the head with what she wrote.

Edited by 02sled
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Kids are tending more and more to do whatever they want with impunity. You have parents afraid to discipline their kids because the kids know that if they get a whack on the behind they can report their parents for abuse.

Every time I read or see on the news a gang member being shot and killed.... wait for it. The mother, family and friends come out crying on how he was such a nice boy and a good son.

When I was a kid I actually thought about the consequences of what I was about to do and how much trouble I might be in. I did some stupid things but nothing outrageous.

She hit the nail on the head with what she wrote.

Very bizarre . If your kid killed someone, I'm pretty sure it disqualifies him from being a "good boy". 

White people....."It was the drugs".

Black people....." he had mental illness and learning disabilities"

Sounds kind of familiar.

Does it sound more like this:

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless
beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and
impatient of restraint.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C. 

Or maybe this:

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of
today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for
parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as
if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is
foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest
and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

Maybe more like this.

"What is happening to our young
people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

or this.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

They've been arguing for centuries about whether Socrates or Plato wrote those.

But I have to admit that kids today are spoiled and they need a good talking to just like these brats did.

11 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Sounds kind of familiar.

Does it sound more like this:

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless
beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and
impatient of restraint.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C. 

Or maybe this:

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of
today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for
parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as
if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is
foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest
and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

Maybe more like this.

"What is happening to our young
people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

or this.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

They've been arguing for centuries about whether Socrates or Plato wrote those.

But I have to admit that kids today are spoiled and they need a good talking to just like these brats did.

You are a moron.  End of story.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You are a moron.  End of story.  

Please please tell me how it was different in your day. teachers were respected, you could walk down the street of any major city without fear.  Rockstars would never fuck a 14 year old. 

Never laid a hand on my daughter. Never hit any dog I’ve owned so why hit my kid? If anyone did hit my kid, including a teacher, I’d have pressed charges. The idea that a parent has to hit a child for them not to become a school shooter is probably one of the most ridiculous arguments I think I’ve heard. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Never laid a hand on my daughter. Never hit any dog I’ve owned so why hit my kid? If anyone did hit my kid, including a teacher, I’d have pressed charges. The idea that a parent has to hit a child for them not to become a school shooter is probably one of the most ridiculous arguments I think I’ve heard. 

They say you should never hit a kid in anger. But wouldn’t it fuck them up more if you hit them when you were happy.  Stole that from some Netflix comedian. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Youre missing the point....not surprised....theres no discipline these days...kids run circles around their parents...

When a child is told to do something..they should jump and do it....kids these days talk back and dont listen...there is zero respect for adults....if you cant see this...theres no help for you.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Skidooski said:

I see more and more teachers talking about "Parenting" and "Mental Health" issues  :read: 

2 of my neighbors are teachers, they say the incoming kids get worse each year with the behavior problems. 

3 hours ago, DAVE said:

People like you are a big part of the problem.... hopefully you dont own any guns.

People like me are the future Davey boy, we're gonna destroy your bullshit society and there's nothing you can do about it!!! Hahahahahaha!

3 hours ago, snoughnut said:

She is spot on yet you refer to her as a bitch? SMH.

This self righteous bullshit, roughly as useful as thoughts and prayers :lol: 

1 hour ago, DAVE said:

Youre missing the point....not surprised....theres no discipline these days...kids run circles around their parents...

When a child is told to do something..they should jump and do it....kids these days talk back and dont listen...there is zero respect for adults....if you cant see this...theres no help for you.

“No” discipline? None at all? I guess we should just cash it all in eh? Sorry, I don’t subscribe to that logic. Many many more good parents and families than not. But please, carry on the Hand wringing. I’m enjoying the view. 

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

They say you should never hit a kid in anger. But wouldn’t it fuck them up more if you hit them when you were happy.  Stole that from some Netflix comedian. 

Hitting children is a weird concept. Hit em so they don’t hurt others. Ok!!!