Time to update

Slow Joe

Gearing, track pitch, track approach angle, clutching, they have messed with a lot of stuff on the procross chassis. I have buddies that have tried to clutch and  gear more top end out of these late modle cat 800s (  Suzuki or Cat engine) and there is no silver bullet to gain that extra 10mph on the top. Doo 800s walk away after 90mph, not to even bother mentioning the 850 doos.

I am past the  need to be first across the lake and all that, but it is nice when the different brands are close enough to make it fun. Had the first Cat 800ho 2010 in the Crossfire/CFR chassis that would do 115mph easily, but I would gladly drive the new chassis any day and all day.

Edited by lastzrt

20 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

Gearing, track pitch, track approach angle, clutching, they have messed with a lot of stuff on the procross chassis. I have buddies that have tried to clutch and  gear more top end out of these late modle cat 800s (  Suzuki or Cat engine) and there is no silver bullet to gain that extra 10mph on the top. Doo 800s walk away after 90mph, not to even bother mentioning the 850 doos.

I am past the  need to be first across the lake and all that, but it is nice when the different brands are close enough to make it fun. Had the first Cat 800ho 2010 in the Crossfire/CFR chassis that would do 115mph easily, but I would gladly drive the new chassis any day and all day.

Similar to Cat did not have the 800HO yet years ago, but all the others did....than they caught up in that department, but now they are no longer in the game with the 2-smoke.

Perhaps because they have the 4-stroke that provides that level of power if you so desire....

I too am the same, my sled is not a high MPH sled, but it is a blast in the 0 to 80 range, which is my interests anyways.....no more long lake runs of WOT for me.

That pic in your avatar, is that on trail L143 from a couple years ago by chance?

46 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

115 mph? 

Have driven the new yam turbo, talk about a new level of smooth power. Still would not want to wrestle one around on deep snow for any length of time.

Pic is from the lower Bruce Pen. not far from the cottage in Wiarton. There may be a beverage or two in my hands. 20 years ago maybe?

Edited by lastzrt

11 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

115 mph?

Yes. No kijiji ad here. Clutch, y-pipe, lowered and studs in the CFR 14" wide track. Repeated more than a few times on Mary Lake with demands to look under the hood.xD

Fast was the only thing it did well.

5 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

Have driven the new yam turbo, talk about a new level of smooth power. Still would not want to wrestle one around on deep snow for any length of time.

Pic is from the lower Bruce Pen. not far from the cottage in Wiarton. There may be a beverage or two in my hands.

We ran across a groomer similar to that on the side of L143 a few years back....turns out it was a groomer the clubs was using, broke down or got stuck and was left for later on to remove....it looks almost the same.

Ummh, no.  Maybe in the Cat brochures. 

50 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The CFR 800 or 1000 were the fastest sleds on the snow back then.

North of 100 was not surprising at all, and on a totally stock one.

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

Maybe on the speedo. My Yamaha Apex was 10 mph high when I was going thru the radar. Gun said 107, my speedo said 117.

I,m sure Cat uses the same calibration stick. LOL

Cat speedo's have always been very accurate actually....compared to the Doo & Poo dream-o-meters....Yamaha was never in these discussion, for obvious reasons.....

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Ummh, no.  Maybe in the Cat brochures. 

Nope, real world results.....but you need to come out of that Doo bubble for it to register....

I must ride a cat or something or......:guzzle:

Yeah, you must ride a Cat.  A stock 2007 Mach Z would destroy those little kitties.... as long as it held together.  :)

Yes, Cat speedos are very accurate, especially when indicating high numbers.  Lol  That's some funny chit!

Gun or a good GPS, nothing else matters.... and as Poncho always says, you have to run them on the same day in the same conditions to get a meaningful result. 

44 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Cat speedo's have always been very accurate actually....compared to the Doo & Poo dream-o-meters....Yamaha was never in these discussion, for obvious reasons.....

Nope, real world results.....but you need to come out of that Doo bubble for it to register....

Edited by Puzzleboy

55 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Really? I agree about the cat speedometer but my polaris digital ones gave been within a mph or so of gps. 

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yeah, you must ride a Cat.  A stock 2007 Mach Z would destroy those little kitties.... as long as it held together.  :)

Yes, Cat speedos are very accurate, especially when indicating high numbers.  Lol  That's some funny chit!

Gun or a good GPS, nothing else matters.... and as Poncho always says, you have to run them on the same day in the same conditions to get a meaningful result. 

Okay...:snack:

5 hours ago, Stoney said:

The CFR 800 or 1000 were the fastest sleds on the snow back then.

North of 100 was not surprising at all, and on a totally stock one.

They were built for that reason.   CFR’s were the transition from the F7 days.  I was planning on getting one back in the day.

How were those F7s.... any issues with them?

42 minutes ago, Poncho said:

They were built for that reason.   CFR’s were the transition from the F7 days.  I was planning on getting one back in the day.

Edited by Puzzleboy

44 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Yep. Most did not know the differences between the regular and the R, shorter and narrower track, not sure what all else. I think it came in 09, two years of people complaining about how slow the barney was compared to the F7, so this was the fix.

The bigger issue with the barney was aesthetics.....

Yep. Most did not know the differences between the regular and the R, shorter and narrower track, not sure what all else. I think it came in 09, two years of people complaining about how slow the barney was compared to the F7, so this was the fix.

4 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

How were those F7s.... any issues with them?

Seems like daja vu, this discussion....but zero here....and yes, it would pull north of 100 easy, on the gun, that the speedo happened to match within a mile or two.....:snack:

You're lucky.  We did hear of an FS member's brand new F7 popping a piston on Lake Simcoe....

Just now, Stoney said:

Seems like daja vu, this discussion....but zero here....and yes, it would pull north of 100 easy, on the gun, that the speedo happened to match within a mile or two.....:snack:

Just now, Puzzleboy said:

You're lucky.  We did hear of an FS member's brand new F7 popping a piston on Lake Simcoe....

I used to frequent Simcoe a lot when I had my F7, radar runs regularly by Gilford or a short track at Soldiers Bay.....did not hear about it.

• Like 1