Who still watches the old Christmas specials?

I can't stand Christmas really. It's not about what it's supposed to be about and is the most miserable time of year for some people. And Christmas specials are gay. Bah humbug. 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

I can't stand Christmas really. It's not about what it's supposed to be about and is the most miserable time of year for some people. And Christmas specials are gay. Bah humbug. 

I agree with most of that but shows like Rudolph take me back to my childhood when I wasn't cynical...Today every ad you see or hear uses Christmas to peddle everything from Sporting Events to fucking Kias.

• Like 2

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I agree with most of that but shows like Rudolph take me back to my childhood when I wasn't cynical...Today every ad you see or hear uses Christmas to peddle everything from Sporting Events to fucking Kias.

Kind of ironic how a day to honor the most selfless person who ever lived is all about $$$. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Kind of ironic how a day to honor the most selfless person who ever lived is all about $$$. 

Pretty fucked up and it only gets worse every year...Hell it was fun when my daughter was little for all the good reasons...Santa, elves, Christmas Morning and all the excitement and even Catholic Mass  but she graduates this year so next year I'm going to dedicate my time and dough to helping underprivileged kids and doing food drives and whatnot. It's sad that I haven't been doing it all along but better late than never.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Pretty fucked up and it only gets worse every year...Hell it was fun when my daughter was little for all the good reasons...Santa, elves, Christmas Morning and all the excitement and even Catholic Mass  but she graduates this year so next year I'm going to dedicate my time and dough to helping underprivileged kids and doing food drives and whatnot. It's sad that I haven't been doing it all along but better late than never.

Funny how our priorities change as we get older... :bc:

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I agree.  :bc: 

Simpler, better times.  We waited all year for those cartoons and if you missed , you waited another year.  My kids grew up with 24 hr. cartoons/ Christmas specials, and everything on video.  Not sure it carries the same mystique as it did for us.

I have noticed that people that didn't have a happy childhood seem to get more ornery this time of year. 

New Grandbaby coming anytime, so we are looking forward to having a little  one around for Christmas.....That is what it is all about.

2 hours ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

thats assuming you believe the fable 

I watched half of Rudolph the other day,  man was it hokey with terrible production.  I like xmas music- pretty much everything else about the season does nothing for me.    

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

thats assuming you believe the fable 

I watched half of Rudolph the other day,  man was it hokey with terrible production.  I like xmas music- pretty much everything else about the season does nothing for me.    

Of course it’s hokey with terrible production...it was made in the 60’s FFS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Of course it’s hokey with terrible production...it was made in the 60’s FFS.

i get that,  makes you realize how good tv production has gotten

Rudolph does show everyone that Xmas being a commercial holiday isn't a new thing even though people act like it was.  It was created by Montgomery Wards all the way back in the 30's to drive business to the store