Winter 2017

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

How can the odometer that reads track rotation be accurate and the speedometer based on track rotatioPlease explain. 

calibrated differently. , they are not dependant upon each other just because they get the same input.

So Puzzler just a verification of your facts please.

You claim you were able to ride 220 miles on your Doo 800 on one tank of fuel?  That would be 9.5 gallons!

You also provided a case history where the rider was able to get 228miles before filling up on his new Doo 850. 

When i read the case history the rider was using the 9.5 gallon sled tank plus a 4 gallon jerry can.   So he had roughly 40% more fuel then you but only got 8 miles more?

why would get rid of a sled like that 800 that barely used any fuel and got 35% better mileage then any others?

Or are you just full of Vortex?

• Like 1

Nope.  What I said was, based on what I filled, mileage taken, and the tank volume, the sled would/should be able to do 220.  Never claimed 35% better. 

Second.... I've never seen a 4 gallon jerry can.  Pretty sure he means 4 litres, the type that Doo sells and mounts on the back. 

Third.... it's not clear whether he used that gallon or not from what he wrote. It sounds more like he didn't, but who knows.  If it was in fact a 4 litre jug, and he did use it, then you could definitely take 10% off of his numbers.  Still at 200 miles.  

Fourth..... sleds are like women.  I don't keep them more than a year normally.  And even that, is a stretch. 

Fifth.... a nice fellow (you might know him) lent me his GSX 1200 to ride, and I really liked it.  On my second now.  Both my Etecs were better on gas, but the 1200 stock is still quite good.  And it runs regular, no oil, less stink, etc.   On the last ride, we had to wait for a Polaris rider (who shall remain nameless) to source oil on the middle of a trail ride.....I am a 2-stroke nut.  dirt bikes, Sea-Doos, street bikes (still have my RZ500s and an NS400R), sleds..... never thought I would ride a 4 stroke snowmobile.  It has a degree of civility that is unusual, IMO, for a sled.  Sure, I wish it had more top end, but I don't care enough to do the mods to try and run with 800s on a lake. They easily have 10+ on me. On a trail, it's a hoot.  Linear, torquey, fun.  Very different experience.  And the Doos aren't heavy (just over 500, this one). My old ZX was 472. They have a rep for reliability, although a buddy did get one that was essentially DOA his first ride out, but that seems to be an anomaly.  Typically, coil connectors are their weak points (I carry a spare).   I'll probably buy another.  JUST MY OPINION!!!!  Worth what you paid for it.....

9 hours ago, Boered said:

calibrated differently. , they are not dependant upon each other just because they get the same input.

Really?

I have never heard that before.  

I guess I am used to cable units.  

12 hours ago, Garth said:

The young lady driving that XRS seemed quite skilled  at driving with a dog in front of her. No joke.

Puzzle is a Dog?

She does the photography for the csra. I think she said they did 300 miles.  I think that dog put in more miles this year, than the average Ontario sledder. 

IMG_2132.JPG

• Like 3

They may well exist, but I've never seen one.  Ever see one mounted on a sled (not an Alpine)?  The Doo add on can is 4 litres. 

7 hours ago, Sksman said:

15 litres = 4 us gallons

They exist.  We have 1 in garage at cottage.

And the guy added it.  Why else would he mention it?

1 hour ago, dirtybeacher said:

She does the photography for the csra. I think she said they did 300 miles.  I think that dog put in more miles this year, than the average Ontario sledder. 

IMG_2132.JPG

That crew stayed a few doors up from us at the Thriftlodge this past Weekend. They have a wood platform they drop over the tank for the dog to standon. On Saturday they were at the base camp with the dog.

That XRS is very customized as well, alot of effort would have gone into it.

17 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

The Doo ones are quite small. 

You never needed it, on that gas guzzling 1000 SDI Ski-Dog? 

Not where I ride......I always dip the tank prior to departure so I know exactly how much I have on board.........

More breaking news .....

We were talking to a guy at the Sneak Peak in MI that totaled 2 850 etecs from bulkhead damage from hits to both sides of the a arms on 2 separate occasions - Met him when looking at the stripped down 850 chassis at the show.. Couldn't believe how chinsey and thin the bulkhead is in places and how Doo mounts their A Arms to the die cast. No thanks Doo !