Winter 2017

4 hours ago, 02sled said:

So are you suggesting that your ego is so fragile that you have a need to squeal your tires pulling away from a stoplight. How about sharing who you feel you're impressing when you do that?

Of course I do, I'm a guy and that's what we do. You should see the look of excitement in my boys faces when I do donuts in a intersection.

Last winter I tried to drift the truck the length of the street turning onto ours and ended up taking out the stop sign. All good fun.

Nah, belts blow.  I've lost a few...... but I did take Poncho's advice - fresh belt at the start of every season now, and the old ones goes as a spare.  Not worth losing a crank seal, etc.  They should really have a guard there to protect that seal. 

My last blowout on the XRS actually cracked the bellypan a bit. 

Cat down.   Paging Puzzle. 

9 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

02 has issues when it comes to strutting your stuff . While we  will slap her ass and let her know who's boss   ,  he prob goes into the fetal position and cries after blowing his load . .......

Its a daily task, they like it or there is a problem.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Nah, belts blow.  I've lost a few...... but I did take Poncho's advice - fresh belt at the start of every season now, and the old ones goes as a spare.  Not worth losing a crank seal, etc.  They should really have a guard there to protect that seal. 

Also remove the belt a let it hang in the off season....... Sorry I better explain I'm talking about your drive belt.....

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 2/19/2017 at 3:07 PM, Poncho said:

How much do the factory belts cost?

$240ish for a factory belt. $125 for an XTX from Royal. Probably just grab another factory belt.

On 2/19/2017 at 4:04 PM, 02sled said:

My 07 Jag Z1 got about 9,500 km on one belt and it was still good when I sold it.

Sure. Enjoy your oatmeal. I prefer something with a bit of spice.

There is more to the story. ( and as much as I hate to feed the troll) About 7 weeks ago I had some work done on the sled. A tune, clutching and muffler. This was the first chance I've had to get it out on the snow. The thing was pulling like crazy in the mid range. Much different animal than the stock version. Then I got out on Couchiching and laid into it. It roared to 90 mph then fell flat. RPM's hit close to 9000 then dropped to 7500. I cruised it down the lake at 150, more throttle, less, made no difference. When I stopped I could see OCTN on the gauge. Octane sensor, hmmm. I had just filled with premium so assumed gas was good. Shut the key off and back on. Codes were gone and sled came right back to life. Another pull on the lake and the same results, OCTN.

I sent a text to the guy who did the work and he called me right away. Bad gas he thinks but he'll look into it.

Saturday I filled the tank twice before getting back on the throttle. Same deal. OCTN. Ok, somethings not right. Turn off the key, start it back up and everything is good again.

Right around this point I blow the belt. Now I had been hammering the throttle for short bursts most of the day just because it was a ton of fun. It would just explode. I came around a corner to a wide open straight with no traffic and I jammed it. After a couple hundred feet, boom and something whacked my left boot. No biggie, I had a spare.

Get back to the hotel, send another text, get another call. He has talked to the guy who loaded the tune and he thinks he may have clicked the wrong tab in his laptop and loaded a wilder tune. It needed 94+ octane.

So I'm pulling the ECU and sending it out this week for the proper tune.

I don't think there is a clutch problem. I was just overpowering the set up, weather was warm, snow was heavy, blah, blah.

It will be good again. Hopefully I can get one last ride to test it before spring comes in fully.

If I had snow and some octane boost..............I'd be goin' all O2 on the bastard.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Oh ya, and the oil tank sprung a small leak early Saturday.....lol

This ones on me because I just cleaned the chain case and changed the engine oil 6 weeks ago. Found 3 loose bolts on the cover. Either I didn't get them tight in the first place or temp cycles loosened them off. I should have double checked.

Oil Leak Bracebridge.jpg

Edited by Blackstar

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Oh ya, and the oil tank sprung a small leak early Saturday.....lol

This ones on me because I just cleaned the chain case and changed the engine oil 6 weeks ago. Found 3 loose bolts on the cover. Either I didn't get them tight in the first place or temp cycles loosened them off. I should have double checked.

Oil Leak Bracebridge.jpg

Were you out riding by yourself Friday afternoon? We met a guy with a machine like yours near Gravenhurst. 

Just now, 2strokemerc said:

Were you out riding by yourself Friday afternoon? We met a guy with a machine like yours near Gravenhurst. 

Not alone. Di and I were out on D late Friday afternoon.

20 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Thanks for listening.....once

• Like 1

So got out today , finally . And my boy picked it up real quick . This would be his first time riding solo . Ripping around on the lake , even started to ride standing up , was leaning , doing everything right , was absolutely amazing . 

Edited by StevieWonder
  • Like 6

That will NEVER happen.  I'm actually thinking of buying some more for when this one wears out.  It sucks Reima got absorbed by Scott.  Hands down the best coat I've ever used. 

Belts...... or death!

2 hours ago, bladefever said:

Now if we could only convince Puzzler....

To stop reading SnowGoer..... Oh what was I thinking........ Just get him to stop wearing his belted jacket.

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

$240ish for a factory belt. $125 for an XTX from Royal. Probably just grab another factory belt.

Ever try a Gates carbon? Can get them from Ideal Supply, cost less than OEM too.  I've had great luck with them and Polaris Belts are right in that cost range as your AC.

38 minutes ago, Garth said:

Ever try a Gates carbon? Can get them from Ideal Supply, cost less than OEM too.  I've had great luck with them and Polaris Belts are right in that cost range as your AC.

no, I have mostly used factory belts. I have tried an XTX and it was fine.

I'll have a look at the Gates, thanks.