Winter 2017

I was stopped in collingwood by OPP.. a cruiser who was sitting on the side of the road at a road crossing, the guy was standing in the middle of the trail.. made me pull over, shut off my machine, provide paperwork and then walked back to his cruiser to verify things.. We should do this approach on the road with vehicles.. see how well it goes over. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, steve6 said:

I was stopped in collingwood by OPP.. a cruiser who was sitting on the side of the road at a road crossing, the guy was standing in the middle of the trail.. made me pull over, shut off my machine, provide paperwork and then walked back to his cruiser to verify things.. We should do this approach on the road with vehicles.. see how well it goes over. 

I went through three OPP checks in the course of about 15 minutes coming into Bracebridge/Gravenhurst yesterday....

First check was two cruisers on the road where the trail enters/exits - full check.

Second check was maybe 5 minutes up the trail by two OPP on sleds - told them I was just checked by OPP in cruisers up the trail - no check

Third was a single OPP doing radar closer to Gravenhurst, she was on the road checking for speed as sleds came around the corner - went over to her, said hi and mentioned you guys are out in full force today.

All officers I dealt with were pleasant though.

What sign do people use to warn others of police ahead on a sled - I always use tap on the head with your hand, not sure people know this or I am the only one that uses it :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve6 said:

The old man came up for a ride again.. it was all good until the second pic. A nice melt down.

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

I bet that threw a wrench into your day, Steve. Glad to see you 2 were able to get out despite that setback. 

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I went through three OPP checks in the course of about 15 minutes coming into Bracebridge/Gravenhurst yesterday....

First check was two cruisers on the road where the trail enters/exits - full check.

Second check was maybe 5 minutes up the trail by two OPP on sleds - told them I was just checked by OPP in cruisers up the trail - no check

Third was a single OPP doing radar closer to Gravenhurst, she was on the road checking for speed as sleds came around the corner - went over to her, said hi and mentioned you guys are out in full force today.

All officers I dealt with were pleasant though.

What sign do people use to warn others of police ahead on a sled - I always use tap on the head with your hand, not sure people know this or I am the only one that uses it :lol:

I believe I have only been stopped three times in all my years of sledding? One time, heading into Hali coming from Madawaska, we got stopped in a huge line where about 3 cops were checking for paperwork. In all my life, I have never met such an arrogant prick of cop! This guy was on a huge power trip yelling and barking instructions and it was blatantly clear he was in no hurry to get the line of sleds moving. The other 2 cops helping him were much nicer/better but it seemed he had the final say when one could leave?

One time in the Ganny, coming around a corner, we came upon another one doing checks. He stopped us and said we were out of control?!?! My bud and me both said, excuse me, we were doing about 30, if that, so how is that out of control? He made us remove our helmets, checked all our paper work then suggested we slow down. He was newb for sure but I guess they need to get some experience somewhere.

The 3rd time, coming back from the Ganny and almost back at the Port Perry C/H, I got stopped by 2 officers heading east. First one was a female cop who just wanted to check that I had a trail pass, which I did, of course, but she would not allow me to move until the second police officer also seen that I had a permit?

On 04/02/2017 at 4:04 PM, JohnnyB said:

How was it Glenn?

I'm likely travelling from New Lowell over that way Sunday morn. Teds Range for a lunch stop.

It was OK. Soft snow so most of the grooming didn't hold very well. Was hard to put power down, stop or take tight turns no matter what speed. Still glad to be out. B111 trail was complete shit east of markdale. Swamps bush and roads is all that is left of it.

Edited by Glenn in Caledon

Yesterday I drove from sno voyageurs club house to meaford.. 140 ish km's one way, a good days ride for someone there and back, just thought I'd mention it. Took B trail the entire way. 

Tried to take B104 east today, this is 'limited', Being by myself I turned around.

IMAG0532.jpg

Steve Timleck is obviously uninformed. Snowcrest has the same challenges as the other nearby clubs and it's NOT a lack of volunteers or effort from the volunteers. Running water, swamps, rocky terrain and a lack of cold. Too bad so many people have no idea that it's not just a matter of having snow to open a trail.

Edited by 02sled

16 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Steve Timleck is obviously uninformed. Snowcrest has the same challenges as the other nearby clubs and it's NOT a lack of volunteers or effort from the volunteers. Running water, swamps, rocky terrain and a lack of cold. Too bad so many people have no idea that it's not just a matter of having snow to open a trail.

These people need to walk down these trails in the summer. It's a real eye opener to see the crap we get to ride over top of....... or thru...

Land based trail are easy to open. The Ghurst area has many challenges. Same as the Baxter and other areas.

• Like 1