Facebook is unstoppable

Social network shatters Wall Street estimates

UPDATED 5:38 PM EDT Jul 27, 2016
Facebook page
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) —Facebook can do no wrong.

The social network shattered Wall Street's lofty estimates for sales, profits, user growth and pretty much everything else you can think of with its second quarter earnings report on Wednesday.

The company now has 1.71 billion monthly active users, adding 60 million users from the previous quarter and growing its user base by 15% from the same quarter a year earlier.

On mobile, where Facebook was once thought to be be struggling, the company now has 1.57 billion monthly active users, up 20% year-over-year. And if that's not enough, there are 1.13 billion people using the social network every single day, on average.

Facebook's strong user growth is remarkable for an Internet company more than a decade old. It also means more eyeballs and more demand from advertisers. The company posted sales of $6.4 billion for the June quarter, up from $4 billion a year earlier.

Not only does Facebook have more users to make money off of -- it's also making more money off each one of them on average. Facebook made $3.82 per user on average worldwide in the most recent quarter, up from $2.76 a year earlier. Much of that growth came from users in the U.S.

All of that comes in stark contrast to Twitter, which reported this week that its user growth is stalled around 300 million. Twitter is struggling to lure advertisers, who would rather spend on larger social networks -- like Facebook.

Facebook's stock, already trading at all-time highs on Wednesday, shot up by as much as 7% in after hours trading.

Facebook has been firing on all cylinders in recent months, touting investments in virtual reality, messaging and even drones.

Facebook Messenger recently topped one billion monthly users, making it Facebook's fourth product to reach that milestone, after WhatsApp, Groups and Facebook proper. Facebook has laid the groundwork to make money from the messaging app by encouraging users to communicate more with businesses.

Instagram hit the 500 million user mark last month and is expected to hit $1.5 billion in mobile ad sales this year, according to an estimate from research firm eMarketer.

Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush, summed up the general investor sentiment about Facebook in a note leading up to the earnings: "Facebook is a great company, period."

I feel like the last man on earth with no FB account.

I think it one of the most self destructive things to come along in awhile.

I'm sure employers, police, and attorneys love it though.

Just now, Cold War said:

I've never had nor will I ever have a fagbook account ....mostly because i'm not a faggot or a chick

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

None of them will ever see mine without a warrant. 

18 minutes ago, TheEdge said:

Nothing wrong with having Facebook.  I use it to keep up on family and friends.  Also get most of my news(especially local)from it.  Cool photos and videos are a bonus

Same here I have friends all over the world I keep in touch with. FB is good if you use it for keeping in touch with people and bad if you use it for politics.

3 minutes ago, SSFB said:

None of them will ever see mine without a warrant. 

I honestly can't believe the shit people put up for public display.

My wife was showing me her x -brother in laws page.

New girlfriend is twisting up a huge joint with the niece and nephew sitting at the table.

Locally, a guy went on the book to brag about out running police in chase.

Promptly arrested!

:flush:

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Same here I have friends all over the world I keep in touch with. FB is good if you use it for keeping in touch with people and bad if you use it for politics.

What can you do on FB that you can't do by text on your phone?

The only difference is no audience to ooooh & aaaaah.

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

I honestly can't believe the shit people put up for public display.

My wife was showing me her x -brother in laws page.

New girlfriend is twisting up a huge joint with the niece and nephew sitting at the table.

Locally, a guy went on the book to brag about out running police in chase.

Promptly arrested!

:flush:

While going through possible hires I always check Facebook. Some of the shit is unbelievable 

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

What can you do on FB that you can't do by text on your phone?

The only difference is no audience to ooooh & aaaaah.

Advertise a business

Just now, DAVE said:

Advertise a business

How many are doing that?

I know a lot of people put their shit up for sale, but honestly haven't heard of people using it to advertise.

30 minutes ago, Cold War said:

How many are doing that?

I know a lot of people put their shit up for sale, but honestly haven't heard of people using it to advertise.

LOL, pretty much any business who wants to stay relevant in the 21st Century, especially with people under 30. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SSFB said:

LOL, pretty much any business who wants to stay relevant in the 21st Century, especially with people under 30. 

ahh ...nobody gives a fuck about facebook when they are getting a pizza or buying a car ....I'd say you are way off with that assessment

6 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Not on, so I'll take your word.:bc:

Can't say I have ever heard anyone talking about visiting business sites, but whatever.

No big deal.... we'll get by without a Facebook.

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

ahh ...nobody gives a fuck about facebook when they are getting a pizza or buying a car ....I'd say you are way off with that assessment

How exactly would someone who's never used Facebook know? Besides, there's plenty of market data on it. 

The younger generation isn't searching Google for this or that. They're searching Facebook and Instagram. I have several family members who do almost all of their sales over Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Just now, SSFB said:

How exactly would someone who's never used Facebook know? Besides, there's plenty of market data on it. 

The younger generation isn't searching Google for this or that. They're searching Facebook and Instagram. I have several family members who do almost all of their sales over Facebook. 

Well I guess I could be on an island but I dont know a single person of any age that does anything on the book but post stupid shit

Just now, f7ben said:

Well I guess I could be on an island but I dont know a single person of any age that does anything on the book but post stupid shit

You're pretty ignorant of what Facebook is, based on your posts. 

You'll find that people of all ages are subscribed to pages on Facebook of companies that they buy things from. Those things popup when they're surfing Facebook, it's a no-brainer for any business and anyone who isn't doing it is losing sales.