Reuters 21 hours ago 

Reactions

Sign in to like

Reblog on Tumblr

Tweet

Email

AutoComplete: Infiniti teases new QX80 SUV for Dubai Motor Show

Scroll back up to restore default view.

California regulators on Wednesday unveiled revised rules that would allow self-driving cars to travel the state’s highways without human drivers for the first time as early as next year, a move that won the support of automakers.

The new rules represent a compromise with automotive and technology companies, which had objected to many of the requirements previously proposed by the state.

The California rules could still conflict with proposed federal legislation that would largely bar states from regulating autonomous vehicles.

But they are a boost for automakers who want to be able to deploy vehicles without human controls in California.

More than 40 companies are testing self-driving vehicles in California with human controls, and most automakers have autonomous research centers in the state, which is the largest U.S. auto market.

The new rules are expected to take effect by June 2018, the state said.

Waymo, the self-driving car unit of Google parent company Alphabet, Ford Motor, Tesla, Apple">http://fortune.com/2017/06/13/apple-tim-cook-car/">Apple;, and General Motorshad sought changes in California.

Previous rules had demanded that firms submit safety assessment reports to state regulators and seek new approval for updated vehicles.

Existing rules also require a backup human driver to be in all driverless vehicles.

Wade Newton, a spokesman for trade group the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, said Wednesday it appeared that California had recognized that “certain onerous” requirements could delay deployment of self-driving technology.

“We appreciate the (state’s) attempts to streamline requirements consistent with the recently updated federal guidance,” Newton said.

But the Association of Global Automakers, a trade group representing mostly Asian and European automakers, said California did not go far enough.

“A special permit is still required to deploy, creating regulatory uncertainty and raising concerns about the ability of autonomous vehicles to cross state lines,” it said.

Companies would still need a California permit to test or deploy vehicles on state roads.

California would also require automakers and tech firms to record information about autonomous sensors in the 30 seconds before a collision. Vehicles must follow all state laws “except when necessary for the safety of the vehicle’s occupants” or other road users.

Consumer Watchdog criticized the revisions, saying California should stick to its earlier, stricter state requirements.

The group noted local communities could not block testing under the proposal.

Last week, a Senate panel approved a bill aimed at speeding the use of self-driving cars without human controls in the United States, a measure that also bars states from imposing regulatory road blocks.

Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter.

Automakers would be able to win exemptions from safety rules that require human controls if they met certain requirements. States could set rules on registration, licensing, liability, insurance and safety inspections, but not performance standards.

General Motors chief executive Mary Barra told Reuters on Tuesday that the federal legislation “allows us to get this technology on the road,” but declined to say when the automaker might seek approval for exemptions.

Just now, awful knawful said:

If you're to much of an old bastard to drive 20 minutes to do groceries than its a great idea!

the thing is, it's the younger generation that are the ones that want and need the self driving cars. they have no desire to keep the attention fixed on the road long enough to reach a destination.

reading that article though makes me wonder if the target of the self driving car isn't a car at all and these manufacturers are looking more to get rid of truck drivers and the limitations imposed on them by the DOT.

6 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

the thing is, it's the younger generation that are the ones that want and need the self driving cars. they have no desire to keep the attention fixed on the road long enough to reach a destination.

reading that article though makes me wonder if the target of the self driving car isn't a car at all and these manufacturers are looking more to get rid of truck drivers and the limitations imposed on them by the DOT.

james hoffa , will have to re - think his union standing.

13 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

Bar hopping  without the worries of a  Barney Fife  revenue DUI or accident , sounds like a fun day.

Yup. Get in the back seat and put that fucker on auto pilot! :stoned:

We're a long ways off from self driving cars. When they can make a iphone or computer that doesn't EVER crash let me know. And it has to be 100% non hackable  which just isn't possible.  

Then lets talk about insurance liability...

I enjoy driving too much to own one. 

That being said, I think one day in the not too far off future, insurance companies and governments will make traditional cars so expensive to insure and own, a vast majority will be forced into public transportation and/or self driving cars.  

I think self driving cars are ridiculous.  Self parking cars are retarded as it is. Learn to drive or take a fuckin cab. Wtf is this idiotic world coming to.  They're just creating a world of even worse drivers than there already are 

1 hour ago, JEFF said:

We're a long ways off from self driving cars. When they can make a iphone or computer that doesn't EVER crash let me know. And it has to be 100% non hackable  which just isn't possible.  

The technology already exists. It's here.

1 hour ago, JEFF said:

I don't know dude . my wife got this outback this yr . it is loaded up with shit . I thought I would not use any of it . but man the cruse is fucking great set your top speed and it keeps a set distance even in rush hour. if you come to a complete stop for less than 8 seconds  it automatically starts driving keeping pace with traffic . if longer and you are spacing out it will beep at you and you just hit the button to go.  if you have speed set at say 65 and you roll in to a 45 zone the screen flashes red the posted speed it stays at your set speed but lets you know . with all the blind spot alerts lane change alerts I am not sure how you could even get a dui in it .

the tech is already here just has to be proven for a few yrs and you will be buying on the lot     

2 hours ago, Anler said:

The technology already exists. It's here.

Still a person with full control at any second. But yes neat technology for sure. 

2 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I don't know dude . my wife got this outback this yr . it is loaded up with shit . I thought I would not use any of it . but man the cruse is fucking great set your top speed and it keeps a set distance even in rush hour. if you come to a complete stop for less than 8 seconds  it automatically starts driving keeping pace with traffic . if longer and you are spacing out it will beep at you and you just hit the button to go.  if you have speed set at say 65 and you roll in to a 45 zone the screen flashes red the posted speed it stays at your set speed but lets you know . with all the blind spot alerts lane change alerts I am not sure how you could even get a dui in it .

the tech is already here just has to be proven for a few yrs and you will be buying on the lot     

The tech is pretty amazing for sure.  I repair wrecks for  a large Subaru dealership and We've never been so busy in our 46 years in business. 12 Wrecked subies on site right now. They have some "issues" going on.  The more tech they put in cars the more wrecks there are. It's amazing really. Between cell phones and automotive electronics it guaranteed job security for me, so I love it. It's like winter all year now as far as wrecks go.

6 hours ago, revkev6 said:

But that is what will kill the auto industry.  You look around at how many different variations there are of the same car. Toyota and Lexus models are identical just a few more toys and a bigger price tag.  Even within makes, they make three cars on the same platform with different skins. Which is all fine because we want to drive a car that makes us proud to own. But how many of us give a shit about the cab that picks us up? If it's clean and not a piece of shit, we get in.  Usually because we are drunk but there's more to it than that.

Self driving cars will be like that. You may have cars for specific  functions but 2 cars families may drop to 1, 3 to 2 and if you live in the city you'll dump the car because you can avoid parking hassles.

Kids will just think of it as an extension of their parents chauffeuring them around while they play on their phones.

Old fuckers won't have to worry about losing their license when they turn 80. Just let yours Tesla take you places. 

4 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I enjoy driving too much to own one. 

That being said, I think one day in the not too far off future, insurance companies and governments will make traditional cars so expensive to insure and own, a vast majority will be forced into public transportation and/or self driving cars.  

Sure they will. Because when the majority of the cars on the road are self driving and they have cameras to record everything, the people who drive their own will be the ones making the mistakes. They'll just jack the premiums until most people won't be able to afford to drive their own. I bet amateur car racing on private track will become a pretty good business then.

30 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Still a person with full control at any second. But yes neat technology for sure. 

The tech is pretty amazing for sure.  I repair wrecks for  a large Subaru dealership and We've never been so busy in our 46 years in business. 12 Wrecked subies on site right now. They have some "issues" going on.  The more tech they put in cars the more wrecks there are. It's amazing really. Between cell phones and automotive electronics it guaranteed job security for me, so I love it. It's like winter all year now as far as wrecks go.

Like half the Subi drivers I see are just zoned out in their own little world.  

1 hour ago, SSFB said:

It's gonna be awesome to sleep and wake up hundreds of miles away. 

They'll be everywhere in 20 years. 

Why do you need to sleep? I enjoy seeing the scenery when I travel...last thing i want to do is sleep.

6 hours ago, SSFB said:

It's gonna be awesome to sleep and wake up hundreds of miles away. 

They'll be everywhere in 20 years. 

I don't think they will be. The tech will be there but how do you implement them into society? And can you imagine getting the blue screen of death on the interstate? 

I think the big players will parade the tech around and they will be half ass implemented but will be quickly shut down do to a bunch of unforeseen bad things happening. They will need dedicated roadways. People and machines won't mix on the road.