***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

19 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I don’t like eating sea water ......sea water...... sea water.

Chicken stock or water, crushed garlic cloves, cup of brown sugar, cup of kosher salt, a whole onion sliced, a Granny Smith Apple or apple juice, black pepper corns, some fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc). Heat in a stock pot and stir a bit to dissolve the sugar, salt etc. Let it cool down to room temp. Add another half gallon or so of cold water to the brine and stir.

put the turkey in a large container, I use a large sealable container, makes transporting easier not worrying about spills. Dump the brine over the turkey making sure it’s fully submerged in the brine and put a generous amount of ice cubs in there too. Close it up and let it sit in the garage (if it’s cold enough by you) or fridge for 12-24 hrs depending on how much salt you use. I let my bird sit for 15-18 hrs. Came out great in the smoker. Awesome flavor and moist. 

Edited by thewayout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

784CF26D-9952-4820-9D4B-54B3B895E776.thumb.jpeg.aff754f55545b40d6148d9f4b1852c38.jpeg

went out to check and the smoker f’d up again. Smoker was cold, brisket dropped to 155. Shut it all down, cleaned out the fire pit, restarted. Damn it.

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

784CF26D-9952-4820-9D4B-54B3B895E776.thumb.jpeg.aff754f55545b40d6148d9f4b1852c38.jpeg

went out to check and the smoker f’d up again. Smoker was cold, brisket dropped to 155. Shut it all down, cleaned out the fire pit, restarted. Damn it.

Finish off in the oven.  You've got a good bit of smoke flavor in it by now.  

Clean and run though the smoker, check the thermocouple?

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

And you better start that shit today, depending on the size of bird you get.

Neal

Yup....its all about how much salt you use. I like to do 4-5 day brines on birds. I use some cure as well though 

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

I’m going to pick up a turkey today. I may have to lean on a few of you jack asses in the next coming days.

I did a breast on the kettle last Thanksgiving. Everyone preferred it over the bird that we did in the oven. 

• Like 2

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

What's your brine recipe?  I was thinking of one with jalapenos that I found.  Sounded interesting.

Neal

I only use tenderquick , salt and sugar. I find that most other shit is for show. If I want some specific flavors id inject and rub after brine.

My son had a kidney disease for about 8 years on and off. He is ok now. He could only have 750mg of salt a day when he relapsed. We had to make everything salt free and had to travel with food for him. Had to make salt free bread every morning before I went to work. Ever since then, I don’t care for the taste of heavy salted food. We use it and cook with it,but we don’t use a lot of it. 

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

I did a breast on the kettle last Thanksgiving. Everyone preferred it over the bird that we did in the oven. 

I’ve done them on the kettle a few times up at camp. I’m looking to do a full bird in the smoker this year. I’ve always just used apple juice and a bird rub when I did it on the kettle. 

• Like 1

Just now, Woodtick said:

I’ve done them on the kettle a few times up at camp. I’m looking to do a full bird in the smoker this year. I’ve always just used apple juice and a bird rub when I did it on the kettle. 

Don't go to big or it won't fit under the lid. I'm thinking about trying a 10-12 bird this year.

• Thanks 1