***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

Got a birthday party here on Monday. She says I’m responsible for smoking something so she comes home with a 20lbs brisket.

Butcher said to cover it in Kosher salt tonight and refrigerate. Tomorrow rub it down then cook Monday.

Any issues with this? Best rub? 

How long at 225 degrees?

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Got a birthday party here on Monday. She says I’m responsible for smoking something so she comes home with a 20lbs brisket.

Butcher said to cover it in Kosher salt tonight and refrigerate. Tomorrow rub it down then cook Monday.

Any issues with this? Best rub? 

How long at 225 degrees?

Sounds just fine.  I would guess 16-18 hours for the minimum.  Unless you don't care too much for the bark and cosmetic presentation you could crutch it with foil or paper at 160 or so and blast through the stall.  Make sure you hit 205* in the thickest part.

Neal

13 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Sounds just fine.  I would guess 16-18 hours for the minimum.  Unless you don't care too much for the bark and cosmetic presentation you could crutch it with foil or paper at 160 or so and blast through the stall.  Make sure you hit 205* in the thickest part.

Neal

Ok thanks. I figured I'd have to start it through the night tonight.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Ok thanks. I figured I'd have to start it through the night tonight.

The longer the better. It's easier to hold and rest the meat than try to finish by cranking up the heat.  Hour per pound is a good rule of thumb. :bc:

If you go through the night you will probably end up with better bark and get through the stall naturally, which IMO is best for both counts.

Neal

Edited by NaturallyAspirated

48 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

The longer the better. It's easier to hold and rest the meat than try to finish by cranking up the heat.  Hour per pound is a good rule of thumb. :bc:

If you go through the night you will probably end up with better bark and get through the stall naturally, which IMO is best for both counts.

Neal

I preheating now. Throw it on in an hour. I'll probably get up and check it around 4.

👍

Had to half it to handle it.

Seems this have a lot of hard fat compared to other smaller brisket I’ve smoked.

they said it was good to go. Guess we’ll find out.

C3D277A4-6EAC-4A77-B7B6-516D1CEB4772.thumb.jpeg.13ce74d2b605c4c89db1b3f35b1d38b1.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Had to half it to handle it.

Seems this have a lot of hard fat compared to other smaller brisket I’ve smoked.

they said it was good to go. Guess we’ll find out.

C3D277A4-6EAC-4A77-B7B6-516D1CEB4772.thumb.jpeg.13ce74d2b605c4c89db1b3f35b1d38b1.jpeg

Usually a good idea to trim the fat cap down to 1/4" or so thick.  Any more than that just hampers things.

Neal

Got up this morning and the damn smoker was at 300 degrees. I rotated the pieces left for right as the one on the left was at 185 and the other at 174. Heat comes in on the left side. The left one was a bit charred on the bottom.

i need to move the smoker out of the sun. Never thought about it last night.

8FB5F491-CA21-4577-B2F3-372DD94B4F2D.thumb.jpeg.eff0c06f3283b12f6c9962cb4e5502ff.jpeg

Latest addition to the instruments of deliciousness, formally a 60 gallon compressor, gas fired 2 rack with chip and water pans, works awesome, friend built it and gave it to me when he moved out if state for his new job. Korean style ribs and boneless pork ribs on today's menu

15275115996301321141241.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pork is on the Kettle. Shooting for it to be done around 5. Hopefully I'll get 5 or 6 hours from the charcoal snake before I have to add more charcoal.

I just tossed a rack of beef ribs and pork ribs in the smoker, doing the 3-2-1 method. Pics to follow when I have to check on them