***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

Just now, Highmark said:

Smoking a couple bread and butter roasts today.   Beautifully marbled.   Should make for some delicious sandwiches on toasted pretzel buns.  

Where do you live in Iowa?  The SX track looked plenty white.  You got good cover there?

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Zambroski said:

Where do you live in Iowa?  The SX track looked plenty white.  You got good cover there?

It was at a ski resort just outside of Dubuque, Iowa.  Most of the snow was man made.   We got about 5" last weekend.   

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

It was at a ski resort just outside of Dubuque, Iowa.  Most of the snow was man made.   We got about 5" last weekend.   

Ahhh....Yeah, nice track.  It was beating the shit out of those racers.  Just wondering about your snow if you are out smoking meat.

:bc:

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ahhh....Yeah, nice track.  It was beating the shit out of those racers.  Just wondering about your snow if you are out smoking meat.

:bc:

Gonna fire up the smoker shortly.   The GMG is pretty much set and forget.   I can write my own grilling profiles which I can watch its progress live on my phone thru Wi-Fi.  The insulated blanket option helps a ton in colder weather. 

20180311_092936.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Highmark said:

Gonna fire up the smoker shortly.   The GMG is pretty much set and forget.   I can write my own grilling profiles which I can watch its progress live on my phone thru Wi-Fi.  The insulated blanket option helps a ton in colder weather. 

20180311_092936.jpg

What is the "GMG".  I'm thinking I'm gonna have to put my smoker to rest this spring.  The firebox is toast and the brand is discontinued.  It's got 6-7 good years of smoking on it.  Time to retire it..sadly.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

What is the "GMG".  I'm thinking I'm gonna have to put my smoker to rest this spring.  The firebox is toast and the brand is discontinued.  It's got 6-7 good years of smoking on it.  Time to retire it..sadly.

green mountain grills

I think i am going with a new Camp chef to repalce my little traeger

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

green mountain grills

Pellet grills?  I'm weary.  I'm an old school smoker but I hear really good things about the pellet grills.

27 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

25 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

green mountain grills

Yep.   Green Mountain.  

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Pellet grills?  I'm weary.  I'm an old school smoker but I hear really good things about the pellet grills.

Simple, easy and do a wonderful job.   

Screenshot_20180311-100335.png

Edited by Highmark

23 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I'd probably consider one if I didn't spend all my extra cash on replacing lost drones :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

I'd probably consider one if I didn't spend all my extra cash on replacing lost drones :lol:

:lol:

I've got to do something.  My smoking techniques are one step away from foil lined cardboard box!  I may bury this grill in my backyard and put up a tombstone....it's been that good to me.  :lmao:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

they are excellent,  as he pointed out winter time you need insulated blanket to have them work,  i don't see one ever being my only grill though given the limitations although I know guys who have gone real high end insulated cabinet pellet smokers as their only as they can get 500+ degrees out of them fairly quick.    

I really don't mind the charcoal / wood grills. Once you get used to your smoker you can set it and forget it. The snake method works great in my Kettle. I can get 7-8 hours out of it before I have to add more charcoal on the longer cooks.

I cleaned my mom's bbq grills and completely cleaned my BBQ over the weekend.

Hate doing it.

Do any of these cleaning systems on the market work well? Or is there a product that you can soak the grills in to get them clean?

https://www.amazon.ca/Grillbot-Automatic-Grill-Cleaning-Robot/dp/B00HFDFSAC

I ended up taking a grinder with a wire wheel to most of the parts. That's a shitty, dirty job but it worked.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Hate doing it.

Do any of these cleaning systems on the market work well? Or is there a product that you can soak the grills in to get them clean?

I ended up taking a grinder with a wire wheel to most of the parts. That's a shitty, dirty job but it worked.

sim.jpg

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Hate doing it.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Hopefully you don't end up ingesting wire from your wire wheel :guzzle: 

Going in the smoker, not the BBQ but appreciate you thinking of my health.....:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the POS Bradley let me down for the last time. Walked in to Home Depot and bought this Pit Boss pellet smoker off the floor. They through in a bag of pellet. Smoked a 10 pack of honey garlic sausage and some ribs.

works better than I thought it would. Not as much smoke as the Bradley though.

910B4CBA-B73D-4A6B-9288-9D2F64758A3F.thumb.jpeg.a60bfd49d7cdda8f9071aaccded39f67.jpeg

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well the POS Bradley let me down for the last time. Walked in to Home Depot and bought this Pit Boss pellet smoker off the floor. They through in a bag of pellet. Smoked a 10 pack of honey garlic sausage and some ribs.

works better than I thought it would. Not as much smoke as the Bradley though.

910B4CBA-B73D-4A6B-9288-9D2F64758A3F.thumb.jpeg.a60bfd49d7cdda8f9071aaccded39f67.jpeg

try some different pellets.  i get good smoke off my traeger burning perfect pellets fruitwood mix