***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

One of my favorite threads on the old site was this thread. :bbq: 

Anyone here in to low and slow BBQ?

I just have a Weber Kettle that I setup for offset cooking to smoke. I've got an 8lb pork shoulder to smoke for tomorrow night. Couldn't pass it up at $.49 / lb.

.49 a pound? Bone in? Good price either way unless it was a 10 year old boar. :lol2:

I was thinking of doing a shoulder this weekend as well on my Masterbuilt. 

Edited by sledder10
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, sledder10 said:

.49 a pound? Bone in? Good price either way unless it was a 10 year old boar. :lol2:

I was thinking of doing a shoulder this weekend as well on my Masterbuilt. 

Bone in Smithfield all natural. It's a pretty good size chunk of pork for $3.87 :good: 

Do you guys have any idea how long I'll need to smoke an 8lb pork shoulder at 250° on my Kettle? The only other time I did one it was a 4lb boneless one.

23 minutes ago, ckf said:

Do you guys have any idea how long I'll need to smoke an 8lb pork shoulder at 250° on my Kettle? The only other time I did one it was a 4lb boneless one.

Rough guess 10-12 hours.

Just now, dz246 said:

Rough guess 10-12 hours.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I can always wrap it in towels and put it in  a cooler if it gets ready to early :bbq:

19 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Any you guys cook a mean Brisket??

I haven't tried brisket yet, but will try it this summer :bc:

23 minutes ago, n2oiroc said:

that would be like $25 here. 

The local butcher has a sale for $1.99/lb this week for local pork shoulder. I was shocked to see it at $.49/ lb  at the supermarket :bc:

18 minutes ago, n2oiroc said:

not me, last small one i tried came out dry and a bit tough. :lol: i can make some killer baby backs, but beef kicks my ass. 

I've got St Louis Style and Baby backs down at this point :bc:

Just now, n2oiroc said:

not me, last small one i tried came out dry and a bit tough. :lol: i can make some killer baby backs, but beef kicks my ass. 

Okay let the meat Man help. First of all 90% of Grocery stores sell trimmed Briskets they are not meant for grilling or smoking they are for baking.. You have to buy full dropped beef briskets or not trimmed USDA Choice they should weigh between 15-19 pounds the bigger the better then do your thing with seasoning and low and slow on the heat they should take 12 hours to cook 225 temp is the mark for cooking and keep moister in the grill or smoker. I sell all the great Smoke house restaurants in the Midwest pretty much all for sure in Wisconsin Minnesota and none of them buy a trimmed brisket. 

• Like 1

Adding to this a brisket needs time lots of time for cooking a trimmed brisket will be dry and tough if you try to smoke it or grill it. Never use direct heat on a brisket. :bbq:

Edited by Badger**

20 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Okay let the meat Man help. First of all 90% of Grocery stores sell trimmed Briskets they are not meant for grilling or smoking they are for baking.. You have to buy full dropped beef briskets or not trimmed USDA Choice they should weigh between 15-19 pounds the bigger the better then do your thing with seasoning and low and slow on the heat they should take 12 hours to cook 225 temp is the mark for cooking and keep moister in the grill or smoker. I sell all the great Smoke house restaurants in the Midwest pretty much all for sure in Wisconsin Minnesota and none of them buy a trimmed brisket. 

so you sell good briskets? i cant buy decent meat here for a reasonable price. 

1 minute ago, n2oiroc said:

so you sell good briskets? i cant buy decent meat here for a reasonable price. 

Today's price is $2.69 per pound USDA Choice Angus Briskets fresh! Our Co, sells to Stores Restaurants and butcher shops in the Midwest. 

3 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Today's price is $2.69 per pound USDA Choice Angus Briskets fresh! Our Co, sells to Stores Restaurants and butcher shops in the Midwest. 

hook me up! i live in the waukesha area and work in fort atkinson. 

3 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

The local meat market around here is charging $4.99/lb for brisket :wall:   http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5220a753e4b0d4ccf3fd2f10/t/57447b19e32140d1843ed6af/1464105758177/product+list+05.23.16.pdf

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

OMG Boneless breast in $1.25 per lb today Sirloin tips $3.99 Pork chops 2.99 the list goes on and on. :thumbsdown:

Just now, Axys1 said:

OMG Boneless breast in $1.25 per lb today Sirloin tips $3.99 Pork chops 2.99 the list goes on and on. :thumbsdown:

They are very expensive, but they do have good meat. Their maple bourbon steak tips are awesome. They don't use regular tips though, they are triangular shaped medians.