***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

On 5/31/2017 at 8:31 PM, ckf said:

If I had known I would have gladly driven 2 hours for the free lunch, LOL. What were you doing that far north? 

Was at the port of Albany today

13 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Doing some thighs tomorrow on the kettle....have them marinating in some of that State Fair Chicken Sauce. :bc:

You better be careful. Smoking meat can become addictive :lol: I usually do thighs offset at 300F for 1.5-2 hours. If you do chicken at the lower temps the skin gets rubbery    :bc:

11 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

Was at the port of Albany today

That isn't even in the same ballpark as me. But, I've been know to travel pretty far for a free lunch :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, ckf said:

You better be careful. Smoking meat can become addictive :lol: I usually do thighs offset at 300F for 1.5-2 hours. If you do chicken at the lower temps the skin gets rubbery    :bc:

That isn't even in the same ballpark as me. But, I've been know to travel pretty far for a free lunch :lol:

Well I was planning on just grilling on direct heat but maybe I will give smoking them a shot. Do you sear them first?

18 minutes ago, ckf said:

For chicken I do the first hour low to infuse the smoke then put it on high to cook through. Last chicken halves I did came out perfect in about 215

11 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Well I was planning on just grilling on direct heat but maybe I will give smoking them a shot. Do you sear them first?

No smoke first to penetrate then you can bring up the temp 

Just now, Angry ginger said:

No smoke first to penetrate then you can bring up the temp 

Yes I'm stupid but I'm guessing I just open up the bottom vent on the kettle to bring the temps up.

1 minute ago, Biggie Smails said:

Yes I'm stupid but I'm guessing I just open up the bottom vent on the kettle to bring the temps up.

That sound kind of complicated I just click the button from smoke to high on the pellet smoker. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Yes, open the bottom vent all the way to create more heat. I always keep the top vent wide open.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

That sound kind of complicated I just click the button from smoke to high on the pellet smoker. 

That's how them there rich folks live :dunno:

:lol:

• Like 1

I leave the bottom vent wide open and open and close the top vent. I find this method to work the best. My Weber being 15 years old and the bottom vent being broken,may also be why I cook this way.about 2 1/2 hours at 250 for the first half and 325 for the second half. Poring a half a cup of apple juice in the bird gives it a good flavor and steams through the bird.

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

I would just grill them with that marinade,. I don't see smoke flavor and state fiar spiedie marinade mixing well at all, to many different flavors that are way at opposite end of the spectrum 

11 hours ago, ckf said:

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

I would just grill them with that marinade,. I don't see smoke flavor and state fiar spiedie marinade mixing well at all, to many different flavors that are way at opposite end of the spectrum 

I used this one on the thighs and I'm impaitient anyhow so I will probably just grill them anyhow.:bbq2:

IMG_2992.JPG.fbdf88b9b9b1266f0008cf161352d375.JPG

21 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I used this one on the thighs and I'm impaitient anyhow so I will probably just grill them anyhow.:bbq2:

IMG_2992.JPG.fbdf88b9b9b1266f0008cf161352d375.JPG

Nice, I have never tried that one, I'll have to pick some up next time I'm at the store,  I always get the state fair spiedie 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Nice, I have never tried that one, I'll have to pick some up next time I'm at the store,  I always get the state fair sauce....

You live in NY and. You have never used state Fair sauce......... fucking rookie  :wtf:

Edited by 01mxz800
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

You live in NY and. You have never used state Fair sauce......... fucking rookie  :wtf:

I buy the spiedie all the time..I've just never picked up the other flavor..

On 6/7/2017 at 7:07 PM, ckf said:

Yes, open the bottom vent all the way to create more heat. I always keep the top vent wide open.

:lol:

I adjust both vents get more control IMO