Is it normal?

I just went through and cleaned all the carbs on the Thundercat they're all back on. I started up and it runs good, excellent in fact. The only thing that concerns me is that when I rev the engine I am getting a pretty good amount of fuel Vapor coming out of the carbs. Please note when I was doing this the airbox was not installed. I know I probably should have looked at the Jets for numbers but I did not. I don't know what mains are in it. I don't know if it's ever been rejetted, it may still have the Jets in it that were put in at the factory. Any ideas? Is it normal to see fuel misting out of the carbs when you rev it? it does not do it at an idle.

Edited by GreenStreak

Pretty normal on a big cat to have fuel fogging out the inlet. Every one I've ever had did it new.  It keeps the airbox clean...:bc:

If you do nothing else to that sled take the shelf out of the airbox. It's a pretty bad restriction. 

Edited by JEFF

Listen, i aint the guy i was, but i see you guys are the same. I have helped plenty of people with car advice, without giving anyone a drop of shit or made em feel dumb. I always did it with respect and if you don't or can't respect that and give me an ounce of courtesy I'll find another place that will. FS is the only site i want to visit but there are other  places.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

Listen, i aint the guy i was, but i see you guys are the same. I have helped plenty of people with car advice, without giving anyone a drop of shit or made em feel dumb. I always did it with respect and if you don't or can't respect that and give me an ounce of courtesy I'll find another place that will. FS is the only site i want to visit but there are other  places.

Come on, John, you know this place!  :bc:

1 hour ago, GreenStreak said:

well said.  

Edited by Angry ginger

19 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

With case reeds? Besides wouldn't throttle response suck if the Reeds were leaking?

Only if they leak lots. I have to replace my reeds every few years especially on the triple 1200cc+ big bore sleds. Edges chip/crack then they spit some fuel, listen a little spit back is rather common.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenStreak said:

With case reeds? Besides wouldn't throttle response suck if the Reeds were leaking?

If they're leaking you'd have shit throttle response.  They all mist a bit of fuel, when the air box is on it it gets sucked back into the engine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GreenStreak said:

True, you told me why my upper plenum was burning a hole in it, plugged cat sending hot vapors through the egr. :bc:

I never seen vapor mist coming from carbs but those carbs are notorious for the choke plunger seizes or gets sticky, make sure those are clean  work fully

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, JEFF said:

Pretty normal on a big cat to have fuel fogging out the inlet. Every one I've ever had did it new.  It keeps the airbox clean...:bc:

If you do nothing else to that sled take the shelf out of the airbox. It's a pretty bad restriction. 

Yep.  

On 10/10/2017 at 7:35 PM, JEFF said:

It has a D&D power breather on it

59 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

It has a D&D power breather on it

Okay, so pop it off and make sure the shelf that was in the air box has been removed as well. I'm sure it was...