The often talked about - Bike insurance

Tommy

20 yrs old

Have been riding for 3 years with m2.. That being said I have 2 15kmh over limit speeding tickets one 27 months old and one 26 months old. These were on hwy 11 in my truck.

I want a sport bike now plain and simple. 600 class super sport. 

Just need advice and what not for now. I'm quoting out basic basic coverage with huge deductibles and these pricks are hitting me with $10k plus a year on a $5000 bike.

Who are you with etc. Its getting to the point where I know some other guys and myself will be insuring for 2 months to get a licence sticker and then pulling insurance off. Not smart, but realistically what other option does a regular have? Its ridiculous 

Young guy, two speeding tickets already in a pickup truck, now wants to ride a rocket, :lol: good luck  

Don't ride the roads without insurance

Option 1 slow down and wait for tickets to pass the 3 year mark - try again

Option 2 is sell the Bike and move on

I would start to think about your truck insurance next renewal - young speeding drivers get hit hard with insurance companies

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Young guy, two speeding tickets already in a pickup truck, now wants to ride a rocket, :lol: good luck  

Don't ride the roads without insurance

Option 1 slow down and wait for tickets to pass the 3 year mark - try again

Option 2 is sell the Bike and move on

I would start to think about your truck insurance next renewal - young speeding drivers get hit hard with insurance companies

Wrong again Fail is right for once in his life.

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

20 yrs old

Have been riding for 3 years with m2.. That being said I have 2 15kmh over limit speeding tickets one 27 months old and one 26 months old. These were on hwy 11 in my truck.

I want a sport bike now plain and simple. 600 class super sport. 

Just need advice and what not for now. I'm quoting out basic basic coverage with huge deductibles and these pricks are hitting me with $10k plus a year on a $5000 bike.

Who are you with etc. Its getting to the point where I know some other guys and myself will be insuring for 2 months to get a licence sticker and then pulling insurance off. Not smart, but realistically what other option does a regular have? Its ridiculous 

Advice?

Buy a new mountain bike and ride your heart out.

20 year old riding a 600 Sport class target for police bike and no insurance will get you no driving for years as that no insurance ticket will be a huge hit to your rates.  Ontop of tickets they nail you with day they pull you over.  If you have cheaped out to ride with no insurance dont expect them to be soft on you.

• Platinum Contributing Member

With out the tickets you might of had a couple options but with those on your record your fucked, plain and simple.

Only way you can afford it now is to get someone else to put the bike in their name and insure it.

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

With out the tickets you might of had a couple options but with those on your record your fucked, plain and simple.

Only way you can afford it now is to get someone else to put the bike in their name and insure it.

Yep! Now that my son has his G-1, I told him basically the same thing as times have changed big time since I was 16. 

Its amazing how many hard luck stories you hear of kids with tickets or impaired now trying to get insurance and their rates are brutally high.

My neighbours kid got an impaired.  He hung out with a group of 6 or 7 boys.  6 of them got impaireds over a year or two.  At what point do they learn?  I think they thought it was cool at first.

I know another kid very well that bounced his insurance payments for a few months.  Cancelled and now almost $500 a month as he is high risk. 

My truck insurance isn't the worst. I've also had my own insurance policy since I was 17. On 3 different vehicles. Never a claim either.  Haven't had any traffic act run ins with Johnny law since 17. I do also wonder if it's in anyway possible for provincial offences to affect you as an insurable driver. Racked up a few of those just trying to mind my own business :whistle: 

I pay about $2700 to insure my pickup. 

Get this tho boys, customer of mine with State Farm or Allstate - can't remember which. 2009 kawi zx6r 23 years old... $1600 full coverage. He has a clean driving record. 

My licence shows 2 tickets. No points. IMO the whole system is a big fucking cash grab. Bikes especially. 

Its definitely frustrating 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Tommy said:

My truck insurance isn't the worst. I've also had my own insurance policy since I was 17. On 3 different vehicles. Never a claim either.  Haven't had any traffic act run ins with Johnny law since 17. I do also wonder if it's in anyway possible for provincial offences to affect you as an insurable driver. Racked up a few of those just trying to mind my own business :whistle: 

Get this tho boys, customer of mine with State Farm or Allstate - can't remember which. 2009 kawi zx6r 23 years old... $1600 full coverage. He has a clean driving record. 

My licence shows 2 tickets. No points. IMO the whole system is a big fucking cash grab. Bikes especially. 

State Farm has decent rates for bikes but I believe they require you to have a clean abstract for a minimum of 5 years before they will take you.

Just like the others have said...  wait for your record to clear up.  If you want a bike...get anything but a sportbike, add minimum/basic insurance and build a history with it.  I sold my ZX10 to a guy few years ago... he was 35 but couple tickets.  Just found he sold it because they wanted $7k/yr.  I thought I was high at $1100.  Please don't ride without insurance.  Nothing good will come of that.  Start with the $5000 fine, plus tickets for whatever got you pulled over.  It will be decades before you any sort of reasonable insurance rate again.  Plus...should you crash and hit someone they will sue and without your insurance absorbing most of that you will be paying for life...  Wages will garnisheed for ages, you'll never get ahead.  And yes, I know riders often from police and avoid getting caught...but if you are following the Toronto news recently you will see quite a few that this didn't work for.  Just my $0.02.  You've been given advice from some very experienced people on here that have been dealing with insurance and vehicles of all sorts for years.  They have the wisdom of years and trial and error.  You'd do well to heed their words.

Sean 

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:33 PM, Tommy said:

No, those do not appear on your drivers abstract.  They would only affect your licence should you choose not to pay , in which case they may suspend it. 

Appreciate the input Sean.

BTW there has always been the rumor going around that police cannot chase bikes if they run. Ive never thought it to be true but I know quite a few people who believe it to be. Can you confirm?

• Like 1

Any chase that will endanger public and/or the "bad guy" and/or the officer is called off 99% of the time.  It is rare that bikes are pursued..  But these days that's not always necessary.  just look at the idiots in Toronto on the hwy causing issues..  Many were found and charged.  

Bike insurance killed the big dealerships in Toronto (CW and McBride).  And that was for regular guys.... I pay the same for my summer car that I used to pay for my bike (around $800).  Were those quotes for PLPD only, Tommy?  As you know, they're going by statistics.  You're in a bad bracket as far as risk goes. 

Any sport bike will be spendy for kids.  And that's why you might as well skip the 600s Tommy (if you can ride).  If you can't, get time on a track. 

This is why we all used to ride RZs, etc., back in the day.  Small displacement, and quick. 

Oh, and BTW..... fight every ticket.  They don't care if it's 5 or 45 over; they just count tickets.  You can appeal older convictions,  but 24 months may be too old. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

I was in the same boat as you when I was younger.  Really wanted a sport bike but insurance was crazy. I bought a Suzuki GS500 1st and rode it for a few years.  Didn't really make my insurance go down though. I had to wait till 25 when it drops then I bought a CBR 600. My advice is go get your full M asap and look at something without a "R" in the name. There are some nice bikes out now like that. Kawi -Z, Suzuki SV, Yamaha YZ etc.  They will still go pretty good.  We've all been there that ride when we were young, it sucks. 

With no insurance, like ODot said, they will sue the shit outta you if you were in a accident. And you probably dont wanna get into the habit of running from the cops. Helicopters are pretty quick 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 12:19 AM, Puzzleboy said:

Bike insurance killed the big dealerships in Toronto (CW and McBride).  And that was for regular guys.... I pay the same for my summer car that I used to pay for my bike (around $800).  Were those quotes for PLPD only, Tommy?  As you know, they're going by statistics.  You're in a bad bracket as far as risk goes. 

Any sport bike will be spendy for kids.  And that's why you might as well skip the 600s Tommy (if you can ride).  If you can't, get time on a track. 

This is why we all used to ride RZs, etc., back in the day.  Small displacement, and quick. 

Oh, and BTW..... fight every ticket.  They don't care if it's 5 or 45 over; they just count tickets.  You can appeal older convictions,  but 24 months may be too old. 

one ticket was 60 over..... I did fight it down to 15 over.

The other i didnt bother with. he had reduced from like 121kmh in a 90 to 105. and marked the code box 'R' for reduced.

That 60 over he redused to 30 over on the roadside. But the ticket made no mention of being reduced. So I sent my paralegal $400 and boom no points lol

Edited by Tommy

52 minutes ago, Tommy said:

one ticket was 60 over..... I did fight it down to 15 over.

The other i didnt bother with. he had reduced from like 121kmh in a 90 to 105. and marked the code box 'R' for reduced.

That 60 over he redused to 30 over on the roadside. But the ticket made no mention of being reduced. So my paralegal sent me $400 and boom no points lol

insurance companies don't care about points - a ticket is a ticket to them.

A reduced ticket will save you money in court costs and fines and possible license being taken away, but saves you nothing with insurance

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Sounds like you need to slow down, Tommy!

If you are hell bent on getting a sport bike for the thrills, have you considered a road course bike for the track only?

60 over was fucking bullshit. he said I was doing 120 in a 60 zone, had no evidence. when I challenged him on the side of the road that there was no way i was going that fast he instantly backed off and cut the ticket in half..... not to mention the truck I had at the time shook so bad over 105 it was hard to keep on the road.

41 minutes ago, Tommy said:

60 over was fucking bullshit. he said I was doing 120 in a 60 zone, had no evidence. when I challenged him on the side of the road that there was no way i was going that fast he instantly backed off and cut the ticket in half..... not to mention the truck I had at the time shook so bad over 105 it was hard to keep on the road.

I recall getting a speeding ticket when I was around 17 on Huron Church, at the time I just took the cops word for it, paid the fine and moved on.....but afterwards after I thought about what the speed was, where it was, how far I had driven from a stop, etc....there was no way my 1982 Honda Civic wagon could have got up to that speed ! 

Lucky for me, it had very little affect on my rates back than. 

Correct.  I found out the hard way when my insurance company dropped me for 3 tickets.  One was reduced to 5 over (he could have given me stunt driving).

Like I said, you have to fight every ticket. 

5 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

insurance companies don't care about points - a ticket is a ticket to them.

A reduced ticket will save you money in court costs and fines and possible license being taken away, but saves you nothing with insurance