Winter 2018

dirtybeacher

12 hours ago, Kev144 said:

I don't want to trailer every weekend to ride. I'd quit the sport if I was trailering all the time.  

I don't see much difference between the guy who drives two hours to the cottage to ride and the guy who trailers two hours to ride. Very few have the luxury of riding from home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I don't see much difference between the guy who drives two hours to the cottage to ride and the guy who trailers two hours to ride. Very few have the luxury of riding from home.

Perhaps for some that might be true.  I doubt I would be sledding and the rest without the cottage.

Most of my buddies (from Uni) are pretty well off and do not own their own sleds but I try to take them out to re-connect.  Maybe they are just cheap fucks.:lol:

32 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Just don't like trailering everywhere.  I enjoy riding from the cottage and we usually always have decent trails.  I have a large group of friends up there which is half the fun for me.   

21 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Perhaps for some that might be true.  I doubt I would be sledding and the rest without the cottage.

Most of my buddies (from Uni) are pretty well off and do not own their own sleds but I try to take them out to re-connect.  Maybe they are just cheap fucks.:lol:

The best way to enjoy snowmobiling or boating is to have friends who own them and like you. We have friends who are in a better position than us financially and enjoy boating but don't own one. They come to visit us in the summer and we get out on the water then. I have joked with him that he should buy a boat. He actually said why, you have one. He's right though. He's one of those friends that are welcome to come visit virtually any time. The scary part is he plans on retiring this year which means any time could be much more often.... but that's okay too.

8 minutes ago, 02sled said:

The best way to enjoy snowmobiling or boating is to have friends who own them and like you. We have friends who are in a better position than us financially and enjoy boating but don't own one. They come to visit us in the summer and we get out on the water then. I have joked with him that he should buy a boat. He actually said why, you have one. He's right though. He's one of those friends that are welcome to come visit virtually any time. The scary part is he plans on retiring this year which means any time could be much more often.... but that's okay too.

Sure but I can't pass my will onto others.  As we get older and time passes I want to do what I like and have zero issue inviting friends and others to partake.  Much better to get together up north and have fun and kick back a few afterwards than getting together just for dinner.   

13 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Just don't like trailering everywhere.  I enjoy riding from the cottage and we usually always have decent trails.  I have a large group of friends up there which is half the fun for me.   

Did it the first few years while the cottage was not open and was getting old fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sure but I can't pass my will onto others.  As we get older and time passes I want to do what I like and have zero issue inviting friends and others to partake.  Much better to get together up north and have fun and kick back a few afterwards than getting together just for dinner.   

I agree... we see our friends most often at the lake for the weekends in the summer. The best guests are the ones that bring the steaks. As more retire there will be more mid week visits as well.

Note to Fail: don't go up to 02's place without steaks. 

And don't try to pass off blades as ribeyes....

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

I agree... we see our friends most often at the lake for the weekends in the summer. The best guests are the ones that bring the steaks. As more retire there will be more mid week visits as well.

6 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Note to Fail: don't go up to 02's place without steaks. 

And don't try to pass off blades as ribeyes....

:lol:almost anyone bearing steak (real steak) is welcome.

We have friends whose cottage is on Six Mile Lake on an island. They like the island aspect to avoid uninvited guests. Some of their friends who own trailerable boats get picked up at the marina. Their island is in sight of the marina but they are on the far side. They pick them up at the marina and go in, out and around a number of the islands and channels on the way there so their guests couldn't find their way back on their own.

The worst is the uninvited who show up saying we were in the area and just thought we would drop in to say hi. They have bags with them to spend the night, eat your food, drink your drink and make a mess they don't clean up.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Did it the first few years while the cottage was not open and was getting old fast.

I don't mind trailering an hour or so to ride for a day or trailering 4-5 hours to ride for a weekend but doing it for the entire season is tiring and costly.

We did a 3 hour drive for 5 weekends in a row a few years ago and I ended up putting the sleds away before the season was over,

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't mind trailering an hour or so to ride for a day or trailering 4-5 hours to ride for a weekend but doing it for the entire season is tiring and costly.

We did a 3 hour drive for 5 weekends in a row a few years ago and I ended up putting the sleds away before the season was over,

That's why we got out of sledding a few years ago, to much time driving somewhere to go, plus the cost of staying over night also. It all adds up

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'm ok to drive up and ride from up north, but would not want to trailer the whole season from there.

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yeah, same.  But still like to have a current rider.  Bought a wrecked 2016 this year and rebuilt it.  Might do the same in the future too, now that I know what's involved. 

Riding a single cylinder Elan around in the backyard downtown Toronto doesn’t count...lol

7 hours ago, 02sled said:

Do some say they suddenly turned vegan?

Edited by ArcticCrusher

Went up to Stanhope Airport (Halliburton) to check on my aircraft wings, they are being recovered with new fabric  Anyway, plenty of sleds and activity beside the 118 and 35 intersection

The Wings striped and ready for new fabric, couple of pictures for who is interested.  I Should add they will be covered with a material called ceconite and then repainted white  I will reinstall the wings in the spring.

21B06682-EEBC-4601-8238-71BFA2C738C8.jpeg

3707AAA8-5788-45E6-A372-9952902A4E6C.jpeg

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, smokin george said:

We can ride from home if we have snow. Right now we are in Cochrane and the parking lot is full of trucks with travel trailers lol

We ended up at rollys in KL. 

How's the Ganny?

Looks good.  Any  corrosion or other issues?  If that's all original primer, looks pretty good.  Did you ever consider aluminum reskinning, or want to keep it original? 

Don't forget the reg.!

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

Went up to Stanhope Airport (Halliburton) to check on my aircraft wings, they are being recovered with new fabric  Anyway, plenty of sleds and activity beside the 118 and 35 intersection

The Wings striped and ready for new fabric, couple of pictures for who is interested.  I Should add they will be covered with a material called ceconite and then repainted white  I will reinstall the wings in the spring.

21B06682-EEBC-4601-8238-71BFA2C738C8.jpeg

3707AAA8-5788-45E6-A372-9952902A4E6C.jpeg

Edited by Puzzleboy

12 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

How's the Ganny?

Looks good.  Any  corrosion or other issues?  If that's all original primer, looks pretty good.  Did you ever consider aluminum reskinning, or want to keep it original? 

Don't forget the reg.!

No, it will stay rag wing.  Aluminum  skin degrades performance and value.  Wing reg not required with fuselage reg as per the CARs

Edited by Poncho

So how will anybody be able to identify you if you're buzzing treetops then?  :)

What's that wing adjacent to yours in the one pic?  Looks like an oldy; big chord, too. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

9 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

So how will anybody be able to identify you if you're buzzing treetops then?  :)

What's that wing adjacent to yours in the one pic?  Looks like an oldy; big chord, too. 

A very old 182 from Skydive. In for some minor rework.