Winter 2018

dirtybeacher

On 2/28/2018 at 10:08 PM, Puzzleboy said:

Looks good!  How do you like the 900?

Love it! Coming from 3 600s & very limited experience w/ 4 strokes (buddy has a 40th Ann' Apex that he wrestles around on the trails) I'm very impressed w/ the handling & speed. 79 on Piston Alley north of Timmins & that wasn't fully shifted out LOL.

11 hours ago, Poncho said:

Kanata Sled show tonight....850

2018 XC 850.jpg

Our group of 5 were at the show yesterday as well. Only 1 will be buying a new sled. We kinda all admitted that it was probably the worst display of new model sleds that we could remember. Tons of mountain sleds on display, with colors that only Stevie Wonder could love. And the list prices of all the new stuff was kinda shocking instead. I,ll gladly ride my old sled another season, or 10. These new colors seen to cater to teens and 20 somethings, who really cann,t afford or have the interest in sledding. Will be interesting to see where this goes in the next 10 years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Our group of 5 were at the show yesterday as well. Only 1 will be buying a new sled. We kinda all admitted that it was probably the worst display of new model sleds that we could remember. Tons of mountain sleds on display, with colors that only Stevie Wonder could love. And the list prices of all the new stuff was kinda shocking instead. I,ll gladly ride my old sled another season, or 10. These new colors seen to cater to teens and 20 somethings, who really cann,t afford or have the interest in sledding. Will be interesting to see where this goes in the next 10 years.

EXACTLY!

We've said the same thing after checking the new 'doos when their tour hit Ptbo. They'd have 1 Grand Touring for the 'couch' crowd, 1 short track for the flatlanders & the rest were long tracks.

I think 1 year there had a Blizzard (which as you know has decent graphics), but the MSRP looked pretty steep, mind you I paid around 9 Gs in the spring of '07 for my MXZ, so you'd have to expect some increase over 11 years.

On the colours, was this:

Camions%20avec%20boites.jpg

the inspiration for this:

ren_XRS_greenstudio.jpg

Can ANYONE explain this colour combination?

MY18_Summit_X-154_850-ETEC_BGS-ManGN_34v

Then you have the this for gear:

squadronlite_monosuit_w_aqua-wnbry-white

shop-ski-doo-riding-gear-button.jpg

• Haha 1

Featuring mountain sleds for a flatlander show is a joke.  The same sleds will appear at the Barrie show, so not much sense in going now.  The manufacturers have done this for a few years now, although the mountain sled technology and features are nice, and ultimately some of that tech appears on flatlanders. they really need  a relook.  You can see that the decision of what to show is done at the executive level and not the working level.  Sign of the times I guess....., but then again, one ride to the Ganny having a 163 track, backpack, shovel and spare fuel can is a prerequisite.

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Featuring mountain sleds for a flatlander show is a joke.  The same sleds will appear at the Barrie show, so not much sense in going now.  The manufacturers have done this for a few years now, although the mountain sled technology and features are nice, and ultimately some of that tech appears on flatlanders. they really need  a relook.  You can the decision of what to show is done at the executive level and not the working level.  Sign of the times I guess....., but then again, one ride to the Ganny having a 163 track, backpack, shovel and spare fuel can is a prerequisite.

LOL

Isn't the shovel necessary when you blow a corner? Would it be possible to put enough miles on to run out of gas on a round trip from the Port Perry clubhouse to Rhino's?

• Like 1

Some pics from north of Sudsville.  Trails were perfect, fast as hell.  They'll be good up there until April, lakes have 3' of ice, lots of snow. 

Radar runs at Rocky's.  The Mini Z ran 64mph.  A Mach ran 178.   Some guy in North Bay ran 203. 

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

Wolf Mountain.jpg

IMG_2176.JPG

• Like 4

You would think with a new engine, they could have spent a couple more bucks and designed a sled that looks good.  Or at least a normal windshield. 

16 hours ago, Poncho said:

Kanata Sled show tonight....850

2018 XC 850.jpg

Well, the trespassers will always be out.  They don't care if trails are closed.  Then they'll sue the OFSC when they get swallowed up in a washout, claiming "there was no sign!" lol

Here's a pic I took near Pointe au Baril on the way up.  South of North Bay, there is almost no snow.  A little in the bush. 

As for why are they grooming a closed trail?  Talked with a club Pres this weekend.  He says the way the OFSC is structuring dollars now, they are heavily incentifying grooming.  So operators will go out, even on closed trails.  They're paid to go.   Seems like a waste of diesel, equipment damage, etc. 

How was the keyboard sledding in your basement this weekend? 

17 hours ago, Poncho said:

I'm heading up to my place this weekend.  These were taken northeast of my place on Trail A Calabogie on Sunday, March 11...now why is the OFSC guide showing closed??....and FTR they have been riding for the last few weeks at my place conditions good.  Looks good

snow.JPG

Edited by Puzzleboy

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Some pics from north of Sudsville.  Trails were perfect, fast as hell.  They'll be good up there until April, lakes have 3' of ice, lots of snow. 

Radar runs at Rocky's.  The Mini Z ran 64mph.  A Mach ran 178.   Some guy in North Bay ran 203. 

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

Wolf Mountain.jpg

IMG_2176.JPG

Kevin is a good guy, I figured it was you when he said had a buddy from the city coming up for a tour. :bc:

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

Wolf Mountain.jpg

IMG_2176.JPG

You sure can get thirsty riding.....even a Heiney will taste good!

Conditions do look good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Well, the trespassers will always be out.  They don't care if trails are closed.  Then they'll sue the OFSC when they get swallowed up in a washout, claiming "there was no sign!" lol

Here's a pic I took near Pointe au Baril on the way up.  South of North Bay, there is almost no snow.  A little in the bush. 

As for why are they grooming a closed trail?  Talked with a club Pres this weekend.  He says the way the OFSC is structuring dollars now, they are heavily incentifying grooming.  So operators will go out, even on closed trails.  They're paid to go.   Seems like a waste of diesel, equipment damage, etc. 

snow.JPG

Good to see you finally got out this year. You can put it away for another year now. Installed a new icom in the airplane this past weekend. Wings are in at the end of month.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Good to see you finally got out this year. You can put it away for another year now. Installed a new icom in the airplane this past weekend. Wings are in at the end of month.   

Another from my area, Calabogie, this afternoon. Looks good. 

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

Third time out actually.  But then, I only ride on open trails. 

Wings are certainly beneficial to lift.  We put the slim little Icom in the 140, works well. 

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

Grolsch.  :)  And a few canned Caesars might have been consumed....

5 hours ago, Stoney said:

You sure can get thirsty riding.....even a Heiney will taste good!

Conditions do look good.

Ask him to post pics of the not so good areas..... lol

All kidding aside,  it's a money thing this year.  Club financing is linked to their grooming hours directly.  And because they're grooming closed trails, the shit's gonna hit the fan.  So much for the honour system. 

IMG_6024.JPG

Edited by Puzzleboy

Previous visitors forgot starter fluid at the Wolf Mountain lookout..... but looks like they survived, having brought some nourishment.   

IMG_2141.JPG

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

Wolf Mountain.jpg

IMG_2176.JPG

You forgot to mention the TD Cat turbo sled running 163.5mph on a stock engine/turbo

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

snow.JPG

Looks like the Powassan area when we drove home from Timmins on the 4th.

Ask him to post pics of the not so good areas..... lol

All kidding aside,  it's a money thing this year.  Club financing is linked to their grooming hours directly.  And because they're grooming closed trails, the shit's gonna hit the fan.  So much for the honour system. 

IMG_6024.JPG

Well there are no bad areas in my area most of the season.....the guide did not reflex that....lately it couldn’t be better with the nor’easters pounding the east coast over the last while the over run dumps snow in eastern areas.  Like I’ve always said it’s a guide.....and now it’s confirmed by you it is a political guide at best..pretty useless in the big picture......especially if people plan trips around the guide...

How is the guide a political one?  If it was a political one, based on grooming dollar allocation, the groomer operators would want the trails to be green, not red.  The fact that they are grooming red trails unlikely to be green again this year, is the issue.  And there will be lots of controversy over that. 

It is a guide, and is much easier to update in real time, than to go to specific trails and put up gates.  Is it perfect?  No, but to mark a trail red, there is a liability risk.  Not sure why you find it useless.  For example, one lake trail across Wahnipitae is marked red right now.  Huge pressure crack, but it's healed over and frozen.  But the liability is there. 

Maybe they've just been lax in your area about updating the guide properly (and not reflecting the actual conditions)?  If so, having that corrected would be good for all.  It is a good resource.  I'd focus on THAT, as opposed to just claiming an electronic guide is useless.  In the old days, we would call hotels etc. to see how the trails were..... no bias there, of course.  :)  My only issue with the ITG, is it's reliance on data for map drawing- stupid in a sport where we're often out of cell range.  For green/yellow/red updates, sure, use data.  But the maps should be stored locally on the device.  Then all that's needed is a fix, and you know where you are (relative to trails.)

Bottom line is.... why not just ride open trails?

51 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Well there are no bad areas in my area most of the season.....the guide did not reflex that....lately it couldn’t be better with the nor’easters pounding the east coast over the last while the over run dumps snow in eastern areas.  Like I’ve always said it’s a guide.....and now it’s confirmed by you it is a political guide at best..pretty useless in the big picture......especially if people plan trips around the guide...

Edited by Puzzleboy

We didn't watch all the runs.  But 178 was the high number we heard. 

And we certainly didn't hear about any stock sleds running 163..... lol

1 hour ago, 007Rob said:

You forgot to mention the TD Cat turbo sled running 163.5mph on a stock engine/turbo