Winter 2018

dirtybeacher

32 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yes.  Don't know where your camp is, but there are open trails.  That's what trailers are for.  :)

Either way, too early to get all excited about it. 

Trails are actual pretty decent a few miles west of him. He prefers the comfort of a 50 mile loop though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

So trailer to where the snow is.  :)

I'll give you market price for that clapped-out XCR.  Do you want the $4000 in cash, or draught? 

Really the snow is not the issue with me. This is no different than any other year.  The issue, I’ve lost interest, after 50 years I’ve had enough.  I’m surprised you offered that much.....feeling generous?...

• Like 3

Lol.  I've had that exact same discussion a few times with a very good friend of mine up at his cottage.  I do think lacklustre winters play into the decision though, a little. 

It's a crazy ass sport, but there is nothing else like it.  Bikes are comparable in terms of performance (well, faster, lol), but you're still trapped in the concrete jungle.  I love the outdoors, and sleds have been in the family since childhood.  I took a break for a few years, but that was more to do with work, and a gf that liked to ski.  But there's nothing like the scenery sledding.  And I know from people that don't ski or snowmobile, winters are long and bleak!

I still like the machines themselves too, although somehow I've acquired too many vintage (looks at Stevie and his kijiji links....) Hanging out with friends at a cottage and having beers caps off a good trail day too. 

15 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Really the snow is not the issue with me. This is no different than any other year.  The issue, I’ve lost interest, after 50 years I’ve had enough.  I’m surprised you offered that much.....feeling generous?...

Didn't you say you have about a 5 hour drive to get to your place?  That's a good haul.

6 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Lol.  I've had that exact same discussion a few times with a very good friend of mine up at his cottage.  I do think lacklustre winters play into the decision though, a little. 

It's a crazy ass sport, but there is nothing else like it.  Bikes are comparable in terms of performance (well, faster, lol), but you're still trapped in the concrete jungle.  I love the outdoors, and sleds have been in the family since childhood.  I took a break for a few years, but that was more to do with work, and a gf that liked to ski.  But there's nothing like the scenery sledding.  And I know from people that don't ski or snowmobile, winters are long and bleak!

I still like the machines themselves too, although somehow I've acquired too many vintage (looks at Stevie and his kijiji links....) Hanging out with friends at a cottage and having beers caps off a good trail day too. 

What else are you gonna do in the winter?

37 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Didn't you say you have about a 5 hour drive to get to your place?  That's a good haul.

Yes it is about 400 kms door to door.  Not a straight line like driving the 400, but four highways later and the stop for food, gas and booze no matter how you cut it 4 - 5 hrs.  Definitely worth it for a three day weekend but I work for a living and with two days it’s a tough lug.

• Like 1

Trails are great from Kirkland north....lots of snow....got a full day of riding in today and a bit yesterday....plan is to head over near quebec tomorrow. Then ride there sat and sun when its free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reevester said:

Trails are actual pretty decent a few miles west of him. He prefers the comfort of a 50 mile loop though. 

I don't want to trailer every weekend to ride. I'd quit the sport if I was trailering all the time.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

I'm doing the vintage thing. Still love getting out in the cold just dont want 20 + K tied up in a 6 week sport

I hate trailers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAVE said:

Trails are great from Kirkland north....lots of snow....got a full day of riding in today and a bit yesterday....plan is to head over near quebec tomorrow. Then ride there sat and sun when its free.

You still here?  No wonder our trails are sucking right now, you brought the bad Karma with you.:lol:

23 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You still here?  No wonder our trails are sucking right now, you brought the bad Karma with you.:lol:

Yup....trails are great up this way...probably stay till end of month or so.

Now about this karma thing? :lol:

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I saw.  Doesn't change the fact we won't have good riding til first of Feb ish.  I don't think I've ever had a winter this bad. :bc:  I'm going to blame @DAVE for being here :lol: 

Edited by Kev144

Just now, Kev144 said:

I saw.  Doesn't change the fact we won't have good riding til first of Feb ish.  I don't think I've ever had a winter this bad. :bc:  I'm going to blame @DAVE for being here :lol: 

:lol: im out.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Next weekend should be OK.  This weekend is wife's birthday so gotta bite it regardless.

Yah it was all great until @DAVE decided to do a tour.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kev144 said:

I don't want to trailer every weekend to ride. I'd quit the sport if I was trailering all the time.  

Poor fella. All snow now up there. I might head up Tuesday Wednesday.if not I'm definitely going the first of Feb for a few days. 

Yes, that 5 minutes to hook up a trailer really eats into the day.... If I didn't have a trailer, I might quit the sport, as I like riding different trails, and visiting different places.  I've ridden almost everywhere in Ontario, and probably a good 40-50% of QC trails. 

I've trailered all my life- sleds, boats, Sea-Doos.  Truck does the work, not me.  :)

11 hours ago, Kev144 said:

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Haha 1

Yeah, same.  But still like to have a current rider.  Bought a wrecked 2016 this year and rebuilt it.  Might do the same in the future too, now that I know what's involved. 

2 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

I'm doing the vintage thing. Still love getting out in the cold just dont want 20 + K tied up in a 6 week sport

I hate trailers