Winter 2018

dirtybeacher

AccuWeather is calling for 3 or 4 inches Friday night once winter returns. Then mostly clear and cold for next week.  Should freeze the lakes up good at least.

Edited by Pete Z

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Thats pretty cool.  I bet its not for the kids either.:lol:

daughters boyfriend just started playing hockey, tough to learn while playing league hockey.  He asked if WE could make a rink, I said ok but WE will have alot of work to do and I am not doing it by myself.  Well lazy fuck :lol:  I do most of the work.  He thought a rink was like make ice cubes.

how to make downhll ice :dunno:  I can show you

looks great in the yard, happy with it.  Last one though 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DAVE said:

We got on the green trails around novar last night and they were freshly groomed...snow was loose though...today we got as close to Powassan as we could....was thin around south river north...still ok though.

There was nothing green around novar and D north is still closed in almaguain and they were asking people to stay off. Your buddy must be a bit of goof taking you on all the closed trails eh? 

2 minutes ago, Reevester said:

There was nothing green around novar and D north is still closed in almaguain and they were asking people to stay off. Your buddy must be a bit of goof taking you on all the closed trails eh? 

Lots of goofs out there trying to make a loop. :lol:

11 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

daughters boyfriend just started playing hockey, tough to learn while playing league hockey.  He asked if WE could make a rink, I said ok but WE will have alot of work to do and I am not doing it by myself.  Well lazy fuck :lol:  I do most of the work.  He thought a rink was like make ice cubes.

Sounds like a great start.:lol:

14 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Lots of goofs out there trying to make a loop. :lol:

I know I know. it kinda sucks when stuff isn't open allowing for good loops. Soon enough I hope. Better than last year at this time.

Edited by Reevester

2 minutes ago, Reevester said:

I know I know. it kinda sucks when stuff isn't open allowing for good loops. Soon enough I hope. Better than last year at this to.e

Not sure why the green trails are not open by novar...they were real good...weird

12 hours ago, Reevester said:

Haha summer roads are the best. I was on them yesterday. I help the DYW guys when I can. 

Have you been across Kempenfelt bay yet this season. I'd think it's not safe yet. I know there are huts out at Johnson beach but all that ice that blew on shore at Gilford must have left some open water on the big lake.

51 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Have you been across Kempenfelt bay yet this season. I'd think it's not safe yet. I know there are huts out at Johnson beach but all that ice that blew on shore at Gilford must have left some open water on the big lake.

Yeah I've been all over the lake. Been fishing the middle of it since Jan 3rd. When ice pushes up on shore it doesn't mean there is open spots. It normally means that the ice is building and it has no where to go and pushes up on shore or it makes cracks somewhere. After this weekend if we get more snow it should be perfect. 

1 hour ago, 2strokemerc said:

It's an iffy time for ice. Some places have lots of good ice and others not so good. It seems some lakes the winds kept the snow blown off and they were able to build lots of ice in the deep freeze. Others didn't get the winds and the snow stopped ice from getting too thick. I saw on the news last week that Lake Erie was almost completely frozen over except for a small portion on the eastern end of the lake.

In front of our island there's lots of current and it's usually the last on the lake to freeze over and sometimes is never really good in the middle. This year the winds kept the snow off. It's thick and solid right across. Or it was. I don't know what this warm up will do.

16 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

you made a rink for your daughters boyfriend? wtf,

3 hours ago, 2strokemerc said:

2 hours ago, Reevester said:

Yeah I've been all over the lake. Been fishing the middle of it since Jan 3rd. When ice pushes up on shore it doesn't mean there is open spots. It normally means that the ice is building and it has no where to go and pushes up on shore or it makes cracks somewhere. After this weekend if we get more snow it should be perfect. 

I read on one of the forums that someone cut a whole off big bay point and there was 12" of ice.

Not on the northern end, but there are trucks running across the lake...

And I hear the ice road is open to the island.

17 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

you made a rink for your daughters boyfriend? wtf,

was suppose to be a joint adventure :lol:  

I don't mind I like to take shots and practice other hockey skills - Team party next week for everyone's family 

not looking forward to the day I don't play hockey anymore

3 hours ago, Reevester said:

I'm no expert when it comes to ice on Simcoe but this looks like it's more than expansion and contraction.

Quote on Jan. 8th from LSMB,

"I know a few buds out today, that were saying they were seeing open water from the cracks opening. Large openings."

Link, http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/forums/index.php?topic=20252.msg151838;boardseen#new

26195708_10213741863394503_283712920849111729_n.jpg.c326bfe5367ad7d2895d404c36f82798.jpg

29 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

I'm no expert when it comes to ice on Simcoe but this looks like it's more than expansion and contraction.

Quote on Jan. 8th from LSMB,

"I know a few buds out today, that were saying they were seeing open water from the cracks opening. Large openings."

Link, http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/forums/index.php?topic=20252.msg151838;boardseen#new

26195708_10213741863394503_283712920849111729_n.jpg.c326bfe5367ad7d2895d404c36f82798.jpg

It does it every year when the ice gets thick or it is making it quick like it did the previous 2 weeks. It was 5 feet high at the end of my road too we just knock it down with spud bars so we can get out. We don't call the news or put it on Facebook.

The area where the idiot on the atv drove into the water was from a crack and the ice push up one side and under the other side. Which there are a lot of this year off of every point from shore again because it's making ice. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I don't mind I like to take shots and practice other hockey skills - Team party next week for everyone's family 

My daughters boyfriend, when she has one will get a cold shoulder and a kick in the ass.

I think you meant to say: JOINT venture.

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said: