Winter 2018

dirtybeacher

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Correct. At least it wasn't a piston as I left my tow rope at home.

How many rides do you get from a used Ptek motor? 

Now that you have one in I would say your on borrowed time already !

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

After a blown belt on a Doo.....a few more miles of sucking air through the primary and she is done like dinner....

On the other hand, happy to hear the Cat is keeping the belts on....some would suggest that is not possible!

Is that the factory wind screen on the Cat, if not, any idea which one you ordered....and I assume the mirrors would be an add on?

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, Stoney said:

After a blown belt on a Doo.....a few more miles of sucking air through the primary and she is done like dinner....

On the other hand, happy to hear the Cat is keeping the belts on....some would suggest that is not possible!

Is that the factory wind screen on the Cat, if not, any idea which one you ordered....and I assume the mirrors would be an add on?

Its a stock LXR windshield with the added wind deflectors. They aren't supposed to fit according to Cat but they work fine for me. If I was ordering I'd buy the windshield for a Crosstour. Mirrors are the regular Cat accessory units.

Edited by Blackstar

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Not many before the crank snaps in 2?

Rode 190 miles yesterday. Shelburne to Durham to chesley through Tara to Owen sound for lunch and back down the rail line to shelburne. There is so e serious fresh snow southwest of Owen sound 

Edited by Glenn in Caledon
  • Like 2

Yesterday the models showed a warmup with rain for the south central and south regions for next Thursday  Today the mainstream networks are now forecasting the same.  If you're in the south, ride your ass off this week if you can.  Just a heads up. Hopefully they're wrong.  

Edited by dirtybeacher

11 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Yesterday the models showed a warmup with rain for the south central and south regions for next Thursday  Today the mainstream networks are now forecasting the same.  If you're in the south, ride your ass off this week if you can.  Just a heads up. Hopefully they're wrong.  

Ya, just looked at that myself. Warms up next week and again in 2 weeks is what they show now. The forcasted snow for Sunday would have gotten us open here.

12 hours ago, Stoney said:

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Its a stock LXR windshield with the added wind deflectors. They aren't supposed to fit according to Cat but they work fine for me. If I was ordering I'd buy the windshield for a Crosstour. Mirrors are the regular Cat accessory units.

It looks like it is the same size as I have on my Cat ZR7000. Mine came with a windshield similar to what is on the Doo so I swapped it out. I discussed the mid and full windshields with the dealer and sat on a couple with different windshields. I'm 5'9" with a long torso and short legs. The full height windshield wasn't that much taller than the mid height but I found the top of the windshield seemed to run right through the middle of my typical line of vision. The  mid was just at the bottom. That also changes relative to how far forward you position yourself on the seat which changes the distance to the windshield.

For me I went with the mid height Cat windshield and the Cat mirrors which it looks like Stoney has as well. One thing I did find was that the shape of the side panels allowed the wind to curl back in and made my thighs cold. The heated seat helped a bit. There are wind deflectors that Cat makes that go on the rear edge of the side panels that actually seem to work well at keeping the legs warmer.

I was a lot warmer....lol

He was frozen by the time we had lunch. He's out today buying a real windshield.

He had just bought a Gmax modular at the end of last season. What a piece of crap. He had ice hanging from his eyelids/brows and his face was beet red. He said when he followed me it was snowing inside.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He was frozen by the time we had lunch. He's out today buying a real windshield.

He had just bought a Gmax modular at the end of last season. What a piece of crap. He had ice hanging from his eyelids/brows and his face was beet red. He said when he followed me it was snowing inside.

Although we ride Cats we have been using the BRP Modular 2 helmets for years and love them. We will likely be using them for a long time. The breath deflector works really well for us.

Capture1.JPG.4a263ac53521911d2c9282ccc34a881d.JPG

There is a removable reusable moisture absorbent sort of felt that fits inside. The breath is exhausted out the side tubes. You can see the holes in the picture. They line up with shielded holes on the side of helmet when the front is down. We never have fogging problems. I thought I did once until I realized there was a tiny bit of warm air escaping by my nose and it wasn't fogging the face shield it was fogging the bottom corner of my glasses closest to my nose. A quick adjustment of the mask on my face and never again had a problem.

It also comes with a neck and face protector for those extra cold days. It extends down under the collar of your coat and protects your cheeks right up to your temples. It works quite well.

Capture1.JPG.39d72ece13d82910437b55c78e0b7a96.JPG

I have looked at the newer BRP where there is a dial on the front of the helmet that adjusts the fit of the breath deflector against your face but it seems you don't have a choice of not using the breath deflector unless you want to leave it flipped down and out in front of your chin.

I’m a freak about stuff touching my face. First thing I do when I buy a helmet is rip out the breath box.

Electric shields work great. As long as it’s working I have no problems with fog at any temp.

Ive had my Nolan N90 modular for several years now. Very comfortable, no drafts, plenty of vents that are easy to tell if open or closed while wearing. I wear a Dickie I bought at Royal that closes in nicely around the bottom of the helmet. Only complaint I had was that the electric sheild used an unconventional plug so the cord was Nolan specific. They changed this the following year.

id buy another but I think they have been discontinued now. I can’t find them on the dealer website.

My windshield is the stock LXR unit, very close in height to the mid height.E44909CA-36E9-4CF0-99EC-E0886393E1B7.thumb.jpeg.1e091b39e1200edb873f2078d639388c.jpeg

And the wind deflectors.

AE21BB97-6B91-465B-90A1-BE2676616715.thumb.jpeg.410864e5ee3d5fab2a24a3807e9a9498.jpeg

They also make a Mid height touring sheild which basically incorporates the deflectors into the sheild itself. It’s what comes on the Crosstour. Next time I’ll go that route.

Edited by Blackstar

For Christmas my son got the CKX Titan he was ogling in the dealership every time we went in. Got it for him against my feelings regarding some less than stellar reviews on the 280 goggles that come with it. ie fogging and leaking air.

He has been out now quite a bit now in sub -15c and has had no problems whatsoever, even on the new El Tigre with a low shield.  He likes every thing about it so far, much more than the modular full he was wearing last year. He installed his helmet speakers in it last night, so I know it must be a keeper. :)

Kid needs a bigger Tekvest than the youth model  he has now,  if anyone has or knows of one for sale.

Edited by lastzrt

I've had good luck with my HJC Hellion full face with an E-Shield, I do wear a balaclava under it though. Not really sure why I waited so long to get an e-shield but I'll never go back!.

IMG_0096 (Medium).jpg

4 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

And those temps will only go higher as they closer, they always do this time of the year....maybe this year, they will not though !!

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I bought a GMAX mod many years ago, before a Northern ON trip, what a mistake and what a piece of crap.....ended up buying a Ski Doo mod at our second stop on the trip, Kirkland Lake if I am not mistaken, paid a premium back than, but such is life!

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I’m a freak about stuff touching my face. First thing I do when I buy a helmet is rip out the breath box.

Electric shields work great. As long as it’s working I have no problems with fog at any temp.

Ive had my Nolan N90 modular for several years now. Very comfortable, no drafts, plenty of vents that are easy to tell if open or closed while wearing. I wear a Dickie I bought at Royal that closes in nicely around the bottom of the helmet. Only complaint I had was that the electric sheild used an unconventional plug so the cord was Nolan specific. They changed this the following year.

id buy another but I think they have been discontinued now. I can’t find them on the dealer website.

My windshield is the stock LXR unit, very close in height to the mid height.E44909CA-36E9-4CF0-99EC-E0886393E1B7.thumb.jpeg.1e091b39e1200edb873f2078d639388c.jpeg

And the wind deflectors.

AE21BB97-6B91-465B-90A1-BE2676616715.thumb.jpeg.410864e5ee3d5fab2a24a3807e9a9498.jpeg

They also make a Mid height touring sheild which basically incorporates the deflectors into the sheild itself. It’s what comes on the Crosstour. Next time I’ll go that route.

When I go to the dealer to grab some oil and they have one of these mid height wind shields, I will buy one....if I have to order in, I am 50/50.....

My trail permit on my Crosstrek looks like that after I mucked it on this year.

Bought a  mid height wind shield for a new El Tigre 6 when I picked it up thinking the bikini windshield and hand guards would be coming off for sure.

I left the windshield right on the new sled seat sitting in the shop. Wife thinks she can do a better job of sticking the permit on and goes ahead and sticks it right on the bikini windshield...

Bright side is she did do a great job of getting it on with nary a wrinkle.

Edited by lastzrt

1 hour ago, lastzrt said:

My trail permit on my Crosstrek looks like that after I mucked it on this year.

Bought a  mid height wind shield for a new El Tigre 6 when I picked it up thinking the bikini windshield and hand guards would be coming off for sure.

I left the windshield right on the new sled seat sitting in the shop. Wife thinks she can do a better job of sticking the permit on and goes ahead and sticks it right on the bikini windshield...

Bright side is she did do a great job of getting it on with nary a wrinkle.

Last years was like that too. The windshield curves in 2 directions right there and I was in a hurry.

You boys are slipping. No comments about the XP with 2016 permit.....lol

He had it in his pocket. Couldn't find his ownership or insurance.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Last years was like that too. The windshield curves in 2 directions right there and I was in a hurry.

You boys are slipping. No comments about the XP with 2016 permit.....lol

He had it in his pocket. Couldn't find his ownership or insurance.

LOL....look at that!

Surely if you post that on OC, no way that would have been missed.

The famous excuse, it is in my pocket....was that Di's that he had, that was not put on yet...

2 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Nothing like being stuck at work and your buddies sending riding shots.  

IMG_3321.JPG

Pricks! :sarcasm1:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Nothing like being stuck at work and your buddies sending riding shots.  

IMG_3321.JPG

Some people are just plain evil.... I had a friend of mine do the same type of thing. It was an ideal summer day. I was in my office with a nice view out the window and got an emailed picture. He was out fishing and had a picture of the nice large mouth bass he sent. To really rub it in.... he was using my boat and one of my rods. He tacks on to the picture.... nice rod & reel... works well.

10 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Fire up the grill lol. I already cleared the deck/grill off and now ready for round two before any rain comes and it becomes a block of ice

20180106_134410.jpg

That's my excuse to head up to camp for a few days of sledding and "snow clearing"

:lol:

8 minutes ago, Reevester said:

That's my excuse to head up to camp for a few days of sledding and "snow clearing"

:lol:

Hehe! We had a 4ft frozen mess on the back deck last season after all the rain. I normally say let's go for a ride and that's my ticket off the do list lol