Winter 2018

dirtybeacher

4 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Interesting info Pete. What is the best way to put a new battery into service ?

I,ve always fully charged it, and installed it.

Depends on the battery,  but you are most of the way there by fully charging it before using. You would be surprised at how many times I have heard people (even dealers) say "it's dry charged" or "the sled will charge it". Completely wrong on both counts.  Additionally with maintenance free sealed batteries you need to let them sit and soak for at least an hour after filling with the provided acid pack before you put them on charge. I have also found that a long initial charge on a lower amperage seems to yield a better performing battery as well.  Most dealers and many people rush them into service and they wind up half way to being scrap before they leave the dealership. 

• Like 1

Is winter & the accompanying cold temps a new development in Canada? Last winter we had a short winter & the previous 2 were typically cold.

I wish the media would shut the fuck up about the weather NOW! Dave Devall must be shaking his head & Percy Saltzman is rolling over in his grave over the nightly reports of the winter horrors of snow & cold that we have to endure nowadays. Most of the winter the lead story on the 6 PM news is somehow related to the weather.

You'd almost think we were in Brownsville TX.

16 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Is winter & the accompanying cold temps a new development in Canada? Last winter we had a short winter & the previous 2 were typically cold.

I wish the media would shut the fuck up about the weather NOW! Dave Devall must be shaking his head & Percy Saltzman is rolling over in his grave over the nightly reports of the winter horrors of snow & cold that we have to endure nowadays. Most of the winter the lead story on the 6 PM news is somehow related to the weather.

My Dad , who’s 86 , would always tell me how he would say to my grandfather . 

“ It’s cold out .... “

his response in broken German 

“ Well , it’s winter ...... “

everday is now snowmageddon, or extreme arctic cold ! 

Meanwhile .....     “ It’s winter ..... “

🙄

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

My Dad , who’s 86 , would always tell me how he would say to my grandfather . 

“ It’s cold out .... “

his response in broken German 

“ Well , it’s winter ...... “

everday is now snowmageddon, or extreme arctic cold ! 

Meanwhile .....     “ It’s winter ..... “

🙄

People have truly forgotten what winter used to be, then we get one once in a while, and they come up with all these new fancy words for it....

A bunch of us got together for New Years, kids were tobogganing off the back deck down a snow hill that was made just off of it.....a couple of the moms INSIDE the house were going all stir crazy about the kids out in the cold having some fun! 

• Like 2

Must have been a Polar Vortex in your yard....

17 minutes ago, Stoney said:

People have truly forgotten what winter used to be, then we get one once in a while, and they come up with all these new fancy words for it....

A bunch of us got together for New Years, kids were tobogganing off the back deck down a snow hill that was made just off of it.....a couple of the moms INSIDE the house were going all stir crazy about the kids out in the cold having some fun! 

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Must have been a Polar Vortex in your yard....

I think that is one of the new catch words being used now a days by the yougens.....

It was just cold, apparently too cold for the great Kim to play......but if you actually wear some decent clothes, it ain't too bad....go figure...

Edited by Stoney

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

I think that is one of the new catch words being used now a days.....

It was just cold, apparently too cold for the great Kim to play......but if you actually wear some decent clothes, it ain't too bad....go figure...

Welcome to Canada.  

43 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

That's what I said, I figured they'd be all ass-hatted out.  But they said they were good. 

Hope everybody rides safely this weekend!

No not about the trail condition , that you wrote buddies , I thought I was the only one ..........  😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

The cold snap we are having is actually a remarkable weather event.  While we certainly experienced temperatures this cold in the good old days since polar air has always spilled into the provinces and northern states, it's the duration of the cold weather that is unusual. Look into weather history for your lifetime and you will see what I mean. A half month plus duration of extreme cold is not normal, so while definitely overblown, it is news worthy to some degree. 

BTW - the last two winters were shit. Last year we had snow followed by torrential downpours several times and the season before that winter forgot to show up at all. 

Interesting weather year for sure. Major flooding along the St. Lawrance River this spring and summer, and now this stretch of severe cold is certainly out of the norm for us in Eastern Ontario. Very interested to see what we get for water levels this spring and summer.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Got out for my first ride today. Dropped in Varney and went to Markdale for lunch.

Guess which one blew a belt.

56850A7A-AB64-4255-9B80-D483CC945580.thumb.jpeg.35e28518b153f671138ce775870999b2.jpeg

Natural answer is the CAT, but I will go with the Doo Doo....

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Natural answer is the CAT, but I will go with the Doo Doo....

Correct. At least it wasn't a piston as I left my tow rope at home.

How many rides do you get from a used Ptek motor?