Do any of you guys even ride anymore? Looking for opinions on skidoo 900 ace

steve6

Looking to get into something newer, anyone have a 900 ace that can comment, good enough power, does it compare around a 600 two stroke? Don't really want to pay the premium for a 1200.

No Arctic Cats or Yamaha suggestions please

I haven't ridden since March ;)

I've driven and rode with a few, by far the quietest and smoothest thing out there but it's no rocket or 600 2S with a 200 lb or more driver. It'll top out at 75-80 MPH typically. A friends wife is only 90 lbs and it'll damn near go 100mph with her on it, it's 120" TNT. Feels almost electric to drive with linear power everywhere. An older friend who was scared of his Apex bought a 900 Renegade and loves it, easiest sled he's ever driven. 

I agree with Tinker. 

The guy I ride with the most has one.  Were both over 200lbs and 85mph is all it's got.  But he can wind it through the tight trails pretty good.  On the big trails or lakes, it's waaay behind.  He wants more power and will probably be sending it down the road soon.  If you're used to 2 stroke power you probably won't be happy for long.  Just get the 1200, you only live once.   

My buddy had one and I drove it a number of times, he dumped it for a 1200.  With the Cudney Kit it radared at 73 mph.   On ice, you would be lucky to get 80 but if you are buying a 900 it is not for speed or handling. They are for long straight trail rides and are no comparison to a 600ETEC or any 600 2 smoke available, 600's are 80lbs lighter and much much faster.  As a low power cruiser they are fine.  No excitement on the trail and as all 4 strokes no oil worries....that is nice.  I had a 1200 from 2010 until 2014.  No bashing, but that is the truth, if you are coming off a 600 2 smoke it is a completely different ride.  And Mike, "Tinker" that is a ridiculous statement and you know it, it will not do 100mph with a 90lb person on board....come on.....for that logic your 1200 will 125 mph....lol

FYI, my wife tried the 900 and liked the quiet ride.  She said it was fine for wide trails, too heavy for the tight trails in my area.  Also very under powered expecially on the lake......you would not like it after coming off any one of the current 600 2 smoke currently available 

Well I had a 09 1200 for 3? seasons, It was nice. Have a 2015 600 Polaris right now. IDK I just want something newer, 2017 or newer. If I go two blowup maybe ill just get the xcr , but I really don't want a 800.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/barrie/2017-polaris-800-xcr-demo-full-warranty/1272866248?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Question1, Yes I ride.

Question 2, The ace 900 is a safe but certainly boring choice. If you are the safe boring type "good pick".  If you are just riding with your "wife" I'd say you'll have no issues. If you have "buds" you ride with you should expect to have your man card revoked instantly. Likely constant ribbing at every opportunity!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

Yep.  Expect to be made fun of and called names like "Ace Ventura" 

LOL...  great...  we (company I work for) are looking at moving to the 900 ACE as we phase out the 550 fanners...

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I know where there's a minty '15 Viper LTX DX going for a great price if that's of interest.

You said no Cats or Yamahas but maybe its time you upgraded.  

They're a bit slow in "limp mode" though...... :)

But as others have said, go for the 1200.  Quite a bit torquier.... and can't be much more expensive.  Still good on gas, and a great trail sled. 

On 10/3/2017 at 10:51 AM, Usedtoskidoo said:

600 etec. will last forever, great fuel economy.

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

They're a bit slow in "limp mode" though...... :)

But as others have said, go for the 1200.  Quite a bit torquier.... and can't be much more expensive.  Still good on gas, and a great trail sled. 

I love the 600 etec. If I find one at a decent price I'm all over it for me. 

1200 is a heavy tank. But good for flat trails

A couple friends haven't sledded in years and are starting again this year. He picked up a 600 e-tec( fairly new) for the wife and a 1200 Blizzard that belonged to a friend of ours for himself as well as a new enclosed. I guess the permit is pretty cheap lol since they need all new gear as well

I had a 600 Etec.  After a few overheats, it went into limp mode (self preservation).  Late season, hardpack, etc. 

I'm on my third 1200.  It weighs 28 pounds more than my ZX did.  I don't find it heavy at all, and way more fun than a 600.  Handles great too. 

7 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

I love the 600 etec. If I find one at a decent price I'm all over it for me. 

1200 is a heavy tank. But good for flat trails

Edited by Puzzleboy

38 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Where did you buy it Steve

Quinns. I bought the long track, i guess that is not a mxz, its renegade adrenaline. 

Will look like this 2000000001.thumb.png.8ec774074f20a7609aaab76b1bd1ec3b.png

Edited by steve6

On 10/7/2017 at 3:02 PM, steve6 said:

Quinns. I bought the long track, i guess that is not a mxz, its renegade adrenaline. 

Will look like this 2000000001.thumb.png.8ec774074f20a7609aaab76b1bd1ec3b.png

Congrats Steve! Definitely a sled I am also interested in. We'll see how this winter goes? Keep us updated on how you like it. :bc: