Rand Paul on new healthcare Executive Order

jtssrx

Rand Paul: Trump is going to have a big announcement on healthcare soon

Sep. 27, 2017 10:52 am by The Right Scoop

Rand Paul told MSNBC this morning that in the wake of the Graham-Cassidy failure, he believes the White House is going to have a big announcement on healthcare in the next two weeks:

Paul says that Trump intends to sign an executive order that will allow people to come together in large groups to bargain with insurance companies across state lines for the cost of healthcare. He said it’s part of an old Erisa law and he believes Trump can do this legally on his own without Congress. 

Here’s more:

DC EXAMINER – Paul said on MSNBC that he thinks Trump would move to reinterpret an existing law in order to make it easier for people to buy health insurance across state lines. That’s a goal Republicans have had after since the passage of Obamacare in 2010.

“I think there’s going to be big news from the White House in the next week or two, something they can do on their own,” Paul said. “This is something I’ve been advocating for six months.”

“I believe that President Trump can legalize on his own the ability of individuals to join a group or a health association across state lines and buy insurance,” he added.

Paul he has been pitching the idea of using the Employee Retirement Income Security Act to let people buy insurance across state lines. That law already allows corporations to buy insurance across state lines for their workers if they are located in several states.

Paul’s idea is to let individuals form associations and do the same thing, and he said Trump administration officials have been “enthusiastic” about the idea.

“It already exists,” Paul said. “What I’m trying to do is let individuals get into that marketplace, and this would be an enormous benefit.”

Paul said he believes Trump doesn’t need to issue an executive order to get this done, and simply has to reinterpret the ERISA law. He said the new interpretation would only have to be more expansive when it comes to who is allowed to form an association under ERISA.

“If these individuals can join large groups across state lines, I think they’ll get protection, less expensive insurance, and it’ll be able to solve a lot of the problems we have in the individual market,” he said. “I think President Trump’s going to do this on his own.”

Paul says the idea doesn’t cost any money and is bigger than any reform they’ve discussed to date in Congress on healthcare.

Ok so props to Trump for doing something when congress wont but... Does anybody really think this is going to save anybody any money? Premiums are based on local rates/risks/etc... Just because an out of state company is underwriting it why would the costs be any different? And its usually the same companies just in different states. 

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Ok so props to Trump for doing something when congress wont but... Does anybody really think this is going to save anybody any money? Premiums are based on local rates/risks/etc... Just because an out of state company is underwriting it why would the costs be any different? And its usually the same companies just in different states. 

Local companies have a monopoly because of the rules. This will force competition 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, Anler said:

Why is my insurance so much less than yours from what I recall I don't think what we offer is all that different and you pay double.  

3 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Local companies have a monopoly because of the rules. This will force competition 

That would have worked 20 years ago. Today there are less insurance companies. 

As Anler said local rates and laws will be the factor.

Just now, Highmark said:

Why is my insurance so much less than yours from what I recall I don't think what we offer is all that different and you pay double.  

The ride for treatment in the sticks is long.....therefore your dead when you get there....low cost!

:crazy:

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Someone has to pay for all those shot up negros. May as well be the locals. :bc:

Just now, Mainecat said:

The ride for treatment in the sticks is long.....therefore your dead when you get there....low cost!

:crazy:

Gotta admit whats funny and that is funny.  :bc:

Rarely does competition hurt costs.   

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

That would have worked 20 years ago. Today there are less insurance companies. 

As Anler said local rates and laws will be the factor.

Pretty much spot on the rates in Maine are much higher than neighboring states.

• Gold Member

Just sign up for a union and collectively you let the employer know that they will cover it as part of your compensation packages. 

News not to long ago news stated that employer sponsored plans increases have been non existence with very minor increases.

those on individual plans are seeing the huge increases not employer sponsored plans

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Because of cost of service. Where I live has the highest labor costs in the country. 

Just now, Anler said:

Because of cost of service. Where I live has the highest labor costs in the country. 

Well those doctors, nurses and lab tech's don't need to make so much money.   I think we should set wages for everyone in the medical profession.   BOOM.....problem solved.  

Just now, Highmark said:

Well those doctors, nurses and lab tech's don't need to make so much money.   I think we should set wages for everyone in the medical profession.   BOOM.....problem solved.  

I try to just stay out of the hospital. But thats the problem with everyone not being covered, you have to pay for the ones who arent anyway... 

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Even better they should work for nothing knowing that they are helping their follow man. That's enriching enough!!!!!:bc: 

10 minutes ago, Anler said:

I try to just stay out of the hospital. But thats the problem with everyone not being covered, you have to pay for the ones who arent anyway... 

You will no matter what system we have.  You have the two things against you that make it inevitable....business owner and successful.  At least this way the govt doesn't know or decide what you can and cannot have treated.   

Edited by Highmark

15 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Same here 

Well whose is the highest, Chicago or Mass?  Something tells me neither is as high as Alaska or Hawaii?  I'd bet some towns in Cali are pretty high as well.  

Edited by Highmark

Trump will sign some mostly meaningless EO and then claim that he has 

OVERHAULED THE ENTIRE HC INDUSTRY AND ITS NOW THE MOST TREMENDOUS HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY IN THE WORLD AND HE HAS MADE GOOD ON HIS CAMPAIGN PROMISES!!!

And his retard meat puppet supporters will lap it up 

• Thanks 1

Just now, f7ben said:

Trump will sign some mostly meaningless EO and then claim that he has 

OVERHAULED THE ENTIRE HC INDUSTRY AND ITS NOW THE MOST TREMENDOUS HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY IN THE WORLD AND HE HAS MADE GOOD ON HIS CAMPAIGN PROMISES!!!

And his retard meat puppet supporters will lap it up 

Its still a shitty system. He just thinks his turd is prettier. 

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

:lol: and then what? 

Have you ever seen a Hospital advertise "come to us we have the best deals in town"  

keep drinking the American Kool-aid

That is the most true statement ever made  N this site. The biggest problem is t cost if insurance its cost of care. I'm glad you agree there by ending the debate of a need for single payer

1 minute ago, jtssrx said:

That is the most true statement ever made  N this site. The biggest problem is t cost if insurance its cost of care. I'm glad you agree there by ending the debate of a need for single payer

The need or not isn't the issue with single payer, PROFITS  are the problem.

I don't advocate you guys going the way most of the world has gone, at this point its impossible to do in the USA.

But watching you guys claiming being able to buy cross border insurance will cure all your problems is hard to watch.  Competition will do nothing to help you out. 

Here the hospitals are owned by the people not corps. Never going to happen in the states.

Fees are set for procedures - Never going to happen in the states

I feel bad for you American's