***Official FSCE daily thread -

ckf

Morning.  Currently 65° with the sun starting to break through the fog. We've been having mostly cloudy days with on and off showers with temps in the low 70's all week. Today is forecast tro be mostly sunny with a high around 80°.  I got the neighbor's lawn and our lower lawn mowed yesterday between showers. I got soaked once :lol:    I'll finish ours at some point today.

Have a GREAT holiday weekend EVERYONE  :bc:

Don't loose any fingers  :lol:    :fireworks:

• Like 2

Good Friday afternoon gents. Huge difference between yesterday and today as far as tourists go. It is now full on summer. I guess everyone was waiting for the holiday this year. :dunno:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

These hot temps are kicking the shit out of me. Poured concrete at noon Thursday. Bad idea. The shit kicked off quick even with retarder in it. Scrubbed my ass off for half an hour. Felt a chill a couple times. Sat down once we finished and I was done. Went home and crashed. Gave my guys yesterday off.

I cut the concrete in the morning then installed a couple sand filters in the afternoon. Damn pool sheds were hot and no air moving.

Another week of this crap coming. Not sure how we are going to get anything done.

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

These hot temps are kicking the shit out of me. Poured concrete at noon Thursday. Bad idea. The shit kicked off quick even with retarder in it. Scrubbed my ass off for half an hour. Felt a chill a couple times. Sat down once we finished and I was done. Went home and crashed. Gave my guys yesterday off.

I cut the concrete in the morning then installed a couple sand filters in the afternoon. Damn pool sheds were hot and no air moving.

Another week of this crap coming. Not sure how we are going to get anything done.

Eesshhhh....I was hoping for a little cool down next week but my wife just informed that it's going to be even hotter. :groin:

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Morning! Damn it's hot for an old guy like me lol. We have a 30ft cruiser coming in Mon the guy wants slicked up that has to be done outside. He was told with the heat next week to not be in a rush lol. We have a guys boat to pick up on my trailer($200 pkup/rental) and two more boats to do onsite in a boathouse. I'm gonna retire someday lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Morning! Damn it's hot for an old guy like me lol. We have a 30ft cruiser coming in Mon the guy wants slicked up that has to be done outside. He was told with the heat next week to not be in a rush lol. We have a guys boat to pick up on my trailer($200 pkup/rental) and two more boats to do onsite in a boathouse. I'm gonna retire someday lol

at 45 I thought I'd never retire, now at 55 its starting to cross my mind. The wife is planning our addition for the kitchen. Looks like I'll be working for a while yet whether I want to or not.

Who would have thought kitchen cabinets would be $35k and a stove would be $15-20k. I thought I'd do the whole thing for $100k.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

at 45 I thought I'd never retire, now at 55 its starting to cross my mind. The wife is planning our addition for the kitchen. Looks like I'll be working for a while yet whether I want to or not.

Who would have thought kitchen cabinets would be $35k and a stove would be $15-20k. I thought I'd do the whole thing for $100k.

It never ends lol. The wife wants ac installed and I don't want to spend the money lol. We don't have a furnace or vents so it'll have to go on a wall in the main room. The basement is nice n cool and I said we can sleep in the bdrm down there and you can use the nice bathroom that I redid lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokin george said:

It never ends lol. The wife wants ac installed and I don't want to spend the money lol. We don't have a furnace or vents so it'll have to go on a wall in the main room. The basement is nice n cool and I said we can sleep in the bdrm down there and you can use the nice bathroom that I redid lol. 

This should be my last large expenditure on the house for some time. I'm changing out the furnace at the same time (Its 27 years old). All the floors on the main floor will be replaced too since it all ties in. Replacing the shingles too as they are 20 years old now. Still look ok but wont match the addition so might as well do it all and be done.

All the siding and windows have been done. Might replace a couple of doors while everything is torn up.

This is where the arguments start. When the floors come out I want to remove the fireplace. The brick work was shit from day one. The front row of brick was not tied in and it pulled away. She wants to leave it and paint.

80C1CC5C-AA1E-4F0F-9B9C-88F43FA2EAAF.jpeg

92FE222B-4446-4374-9DA9-B26801A3358A.jpeg

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is where the arguments start. When the floors come out I want to remove the fireplace. The brick work was shit from day one. The front row of brick was not tied in and it pulled away. She wants to leave it and paint.

80C1CC5C-AA1E-4F0F-9B9C-88F43FA2EAAF.jpeg

92FE222B-4446-4374-9DA9-B26801A3358A.jpeg

I would resurface it with cultured stone and add a nice mantel.  That looks very similar to our cottage fireplace.

Well Thursday work called, asked if I could come in early, it was 2pm and shift starts at 5:30pm.

Guy I relieve had to leave because of an emergency.

Come to find out his only child, a 19 year old boy, had shot himself.

He didn't make it. Everyone is in disbelief, heavy hearted and at a loss for words.

Great guy, great wife, great kid.

Terrible

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6

On 7/4/2020 at 8:25 PM, awful knawful said:

Well Thursday work called, asked if I could come in early, it was 2pm and shift starts at 5:30pm.

Guy I relieve had to leave because of an emergency.

Come to find out his only child, a 19 year old boy, had shot himself.

He didn't make it. Everyone is in disbelief, heavy hearted and at a loss for words.

Great guy, great wife, great kid.

Terrible

Just got back from funeral. They seem to be holding out ok.

It will hit when it all calms down.

Sad all around.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Sad all around.

I can't imagine how anyone can deal with something like that.

16 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Sad all around.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I can't imagine how anyone can deal with something like that.

No kidding...just awful. One of my best friends committed suicide in his dads basement two years after High School...I’ll never forget that funeral.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

No kidding...just awful. One of my best friends committed suicide in his dads basement two years after High School...I’ll never forget that funeral.

Yep.

I've experienced a few. 

Guy I graduated/ worked with. Hung himself at work, raincoat in the bathroom.

My cousin, two years apart, like brothers. Hung himself from the garage door rail at his parents in 2013 at 41.

My wife's cousin, same age as me, hung himself 2 years ago at 44.

Guy from work this spring, few months to retirement, walked behind his house and shot himself.

Another guy I used to work with, two years older and actually used to chum with my cousin quite a bit, hung himself 3 years ago at 45.

All these guys were, seemingly, very happy. Very well liked. Well off. 

Just WTF! 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Last day of work for the week tomorrow and don't have to go back next week! 

Don't remember the last time I took a week and a half off work.

Enjoy. :bc:

Good morning. Currently 69 with a thunderstorm passing over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Sunny and hot here...rain possibly in a day or two..we need it.

it was supposed to be raining here today,  seen nothing.  i'll prob turn my sprinklers on and then get a downpour like last week.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

We just had a thunderstorm roll through. Downpour and very breezy. I thought my little greenhouse was going to fly away, LOL.

Just dumped here too. Temp dropped 10 degrees in 1/2 an hr.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

We just had a thunderstorm roll through. Downpour and very breezy. I thought my little greenhouse was going to fly away, LOL.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Just dumped here too. Temp dropped 10 degrees in 1/2 an hr.

Lucky sons a guns....hotter here tomorrow but rain possible and a little less humidity by the weekend.