***Official FSCE daily thread -

ckf

18 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

7 this morning outside. Damn @ckf what do y'all heat with up there? Your oil/propane/etc bills must be astronomical?? :fool:

We keep the heat set to 65 day and night and last year we went through a little over 400 gallons of kerosene.

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

We keep the heat set to 65 day and night and last year we went through a little over 400 gallons of kerosene.

Is it expensive there?  Is that 400 for the whole  year or just winter.  Just curious as to what everyone is paying to heat their homes.

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Morning- Currently -17.6F here in VT. It's not even Christmas ans I'm already tired of this below zero shit :lol:

1.jpg

whats the long range weather outlook up there?? need a little more snow to go with the cold! things must be firming up with those kind of temps :Bc:  

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

60 overnight and during the day.... 67 for an hour when I get up and from 5-9pm.... keeps the bills down!

• Platinum Contributing Member

I use wood. Oil backup. Usualy 3/4 of a tank in winter and 3/4 of a tank in summer. Oil is also my hot water. 

Use less oil for water in winter because when I bought the house the hot water feed used to come right from the well to the boiler. Now I plumbed it so it draws from side of basement where wood stove is and does a lap above the wood stove in 1-1/2 " pipe then goes to boiler. Instead of going into boiler at 52 degrees it goes in at 75-80 degrees.

Probably use 5 cors a winter, but I wear shorts yr round when Im home

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Is it expensive there?  Is that 400 for the whole  year or just winter.  Just curious as to what everyone is paying to heat their homes.

It's been running right around $3/gallon. Yes we bought 438 gallons of Kero for the winter last year. It may have been a little more depending on start and finish amounts in the tank.

6 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

whats the long range weather outlook up there?? need a little more snow to go with the cold! things must be firming up with those kind of temps :Bc:  

60 overnight and during the day.... 67 for an hour when I get up and from 5-9pm.... keeps the bills down!

Most of the rain from the next storm is supposed to stay to our south. Local clubs have started packing / grooming to get ready for opening day on Sunday.

image.png

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

It's been running right around $3/gallon. Yes we bought 438 gallons of Kero for the winter last year. It may have been a little more depending on start and finish amounts in the tank.

So about $12-1300/year to heat your home.  Hell, that's not bad at all compared to some of the costs I hear about.  The last house we rented while building ran $400/month to keep heated.  :wall:

We use 5-600 gallons of propane for the year for in floor heat and all of our hot water.  I built this house efficiency being a top priority.  LP runs me $1.20-1.50/gal.

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Hard to tell here, never bothered to do the math. Electric mini splits are used as main source, when it gets cold I feed the wood stove, and if I'm feeling lazy I use the pellet stove or propane monitor heater... lol

Just now, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Hard to tell here, never bothered to do the math. Electric mini splits are used as main source, when it gets cold I feed the wood stove, and if I'm feeling lazy I use the pellet stove or propane monitor heater... lol

Yeah...we love our woodstove.  My wife never used one (from the south) so she wanted a regular fire place for "ambiance" I suppose.  I told  her I wasn't gonna get laughed at for putting a waste of firewood in my house in N. MN.  lol....she loves that wood stove now.  Just something about the smell and warmth it puts out.

• Like 1

Have any of you that heat with wood tried the bio bricks? That's what we burned the last year or two that we had a wood stove in NH.  At the time the bricks were running about the same as a cord of wood. The bricks worked great! Very easy to deal with compared to firewood. They stack nice and neat, burn clean with much less ash to deal with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Have any of you that heat with wood tried the bio bricks? That's what we burned the last year or two that we had a wood stove in NH.  At the time the bricks were running about the same as a cord of wood. The bricks worked great! Very easy to deal with compared to firewood. They stack nice and neat, burn clean with much less ash to deal with.

Yup! I like them! You can even use them during summer months , I use enivro blocks they weight like 6 pounds per brick. 

2 minutes ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

Yup! I like them! You can even use them during summer months , I use enivro blocks they weight like 6 pounds per brick. 

We used to get ours at Tractor Supply. There were 6 bricks in a pack.

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

Never heard of them.  I've got more firewood than I can use before it rots though.  Are they like the pellets but brick form?  Can they be used in any wood stove?

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Never heard of them.  I've got more firewood than I can use before it rots though.  Are they like the pellets but brick form?  Can they be used in any wood stove?

Yes, compressed wood like the pellets. We used to burn them without any issues in our soapstone woodstove that had the epa crap in it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/redstone-3-pack-fuel-block

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

yes, basicly sawdust formed into a log

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

yes, basicly sawdust formed into a log

it's amazing how clean the stovepipe was after a seasons use. because they are made of sawdust there isn't hardly any moisture in them to cause creosote.

We heated with coal for years in NH.  Unlike a wood stove you don't get the up and down heat spikes with a coal stove. It will be burning at the same temp 12 hours after you fill it. Ours was a stoker stove. Very similar to a pellet stove. There was a hopper on the back to put the rice coal. The feeder pushed the coal down a waterfall type plate where are was forced through from the bottom. Want more heat? Turn up the thermostat. Worked great. It got to the point where it wasn't worth heating with coal when the shipping costs from PA went through the roof.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Yes the cost did spike hard a few yrs back. I will mix some in with wood and used to pay like $5.50 a bag . Now its over $9

When I first started using it back in the early 90's we could still get bulk delivery. They would show up with a scissor truck and chute 2 tons of nut and 2 tons of stove coal in to my basement. A years worth of heat for under $600.

18 minutes ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

I can get a ton of coal for around $325 it’s blashak with Santa Claus label in it 

That used to be the best bagged coal you could get. I think it was around $260 a ton when I stopped burning it. I was getting Kimmels at the time for around $220 ton because it was available in town.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

So about $12-1300/year to heat your home.  Hell, that's not bad at all compared to some of the costs I hear about.  The last house we rented while building ran $400/month to keep heated.  :wall:

We use 5-600 gallons of propane for the year for in floor heat and all of our hot water.  I built this house efficiency being a top priority.  LP runs me $1.20-1.50/gal.

shit i'll spend 3-3500k on natural gas this year.  thats just under a buck a sf which honestly to me isn't bad.  68 in the family room,  60 in my game room and garage and 62 in the bedrooms.  

51 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes, compressed wood like the pellets. We used to burn them without any issues in our soapstone woodstove that had the epa crap in it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/redstone-3-pack-fuel-block

I may look into those for the fire place. Good fire wood is spendy around here and they are always trying to mix junk wood in. I do buy a few cases of those saw dust logs that burn for 4 hours.