Snow Tires

Thinksno

13 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

I appreciate having the monitor.   Two times in my F150 the light came on while driving, sure enough I had a nail in a tire both times.  The newer systems that display the indivudual tire pressures are even better.  I'm in the habit of scrolling through and checking pressures on our cars as I'm pulling out of the driveway.  Drives the wife crazy, lol.  My old 2007 Impala put the light on, dinging and warning message as I was pulling into the driveway one night.  Sure enough, tire going flat.  Gave me warning to get up early and change it in the daylight, instead of leaving with a flat I wouldn't have seen.  I'm not one to circle check, lol.  But yeah, when the sensors start dying it can get expensive quick.  I hate having lights on the dash that shouldn't be on.  

I'm with you. My truck doesn't identify which tire but it does tell me when one is low. The warning light came on a couple of years ago and sure enough... a slow leak from a nail. It happened at the lake. It was nice to be able to top it off with air and drive into Midland to get it fixed rather than wait until the slow leak became too fast to get me to town. We had one similar time with my wife's Escape. A slow leak from the valve. Same thing... we were able to drive it to get it fixed because we had an early warning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 02sled said:

I'm with you. My truck doesn't identify which tire but it does tell me when one is low. The warning light came on a couple of years ago and sure enough... a slow leak from a nail. It happened at the lake. It was nice to be able to top it off with air and drive into Midland to get it fixed rather than wait until the slow leak became too fast to get me to town. We had one similar time with my wife's Escape. A slow leak from the valve. Same thing... we were able to drive it to get it fixed because we had an early warning.

My new Ridgeline shows individual tire pressures and highlights if one is low.  Love having it really.

19 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

Poncho, many trucks and some cars are programmable for the target air pressure.  So if you have a 3/4 ton rated for 80 psi in the rear tires you can program it to be happy with 60 or 50 or whatever.   Many tire monitors don't throw a light on untill the tire is 8 or more psi down.  None of them are going to over a couple pounds or even five.  With low profile tires being so common, it's harder to tell visually if a tire is low.  Yeah, some guys run around with pressure gauges but the reality is most don't.  How often do you guys check your wife's or kids tires?

Nope 2 lbs for my vehicle, way to sensitive.  A good driver can feel the difference in a low pressure tire especially in a smaller vehicle.....drivers nowadays need automatic trans, backup camera, side warnings, auto brakes and so on.....Yep for a big truck. which I have no problem. a tire monitor is nice but not needed..  I check my wife's pressure when she asks.....after all I'm a senior and don't miss a chance....  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

all this talk about nails, do you guys carry a flat repair kit?  You should as these kits are amazing for the price.  It might say Temp repair but it will last a life time.

5 minutes and you are up and moving again

81EGWOeH4KL._SL1500_.jpg

Yes I have a bunch.  They are great.....the tire monitor dudes will tell you they are not safe and the tire should be removed and patched internally or thrown out for garbage.  Those little plugs are awesome and last for the life of the tire.

Even my old 2000 showed actual pressures for each tire, so you knew which one was a problem.  Batteries are good for 10+/-  years.  Just need a healthy magnet to reprogram (learn) them, at least back then. 

I've driven with one runflat at zero pressure, and was impossible to tell from the driver's seat.  Technology.....

• Like 1

Was probably just all the lights going by at high speed...... hard to tell at 300 km/h.

I don't mind TPMS, have only had to change the batteries once.  I think my buddy's X5 works via the speed sensor (senses a speed/rotation delta to the other wheels).  Seems a smart way to do it. 

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

all this talk about nails, do you guys carry a flat repair kit?  You should as these kits are amazing for the price.  It might say Temp repair but it will last a life time.

81EGWOeH4KL._SL1500_.jpg

Mid to late 80's I worked at a gas station/repair station pumping gas, that was the only tire repair option the garage had/offered. I think it was maybe $5.00 a repair back than, did plenty of those with no issues.

All of my own tire repair jobs have been with those as well, never had an issue either.

We were on a bike trip to Lake Placid one year, and my buddy's R1 got a nail in his brand new back tire (right at the border..... Lol).  No shops would plug it (being a bike), but one guy had one of these patch kits. 

Needless to say, it worked, and the bike ran hard for the trip..... and the life of the tire..... 8-10k or so.   Awesome roads out there. 

Lake Placid.jpg

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

81EGWOeH4KL._SL1500_.jpg

I keep one in my shop, mostly for patching trailer tires. I know garages/tire shops won't do it that way any more. It always has to be an interior boot patch.

23 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I keep one in my shop, mostly for patching trailer tires. I know garages/tire shops won't do it that way any more. It always has to be an interior boot patch.

I believe it is due to they can/will cut the belts making the tire unsafe/unstable? Just a guess, but I believe that is what I heard? 

1 minute ago, stealth bomber said:

Not sure about the ram.  On the GM it's very simple with the scan tool to setup the module to accept a lower pressure.   As far as the knuckle draggers that hate the tpms system, you're probably driving beat junk that the tpms light on the dash is one of many.  

Apparently 2015 and up, Dodge made it no so easy to change the thresholds....read online that some can do it, but its not as easy as simply connecting the scan tool and making the changes. The fronts seem to have more of a variance to the recommended 80psi, the rear's, not so much...

11 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

Not sure about the ram.  On the GM it's very simple with the scan tool to setup the module to accept a lower pressure.   As far as the knuckle draggers that hate the tpms system, you're probably driving beat junk that the tpms light on the dash is one of many.  

love my beaten up 1500, no tpms - air bag light is on is that bad?  lol

7 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

I had 3 of my TPM's, on my Ram, on for the last few days, which I have seen before when the temps get colder. I installed my snowies yesterday and adjusted the air on them after I was done. A quick drive to an appt and when I came out an hour later, the TPM warning was out. Perfect, like usual. Like GM, I am sure it is not that way anymore as they've likely jumped on board thinking of the money they can make with these TPM tools or visits to dealerships. >:(

The vehicles that will auto learn are great for the owners that do their own tire swaps and such.  No tools needed and don't have to go to a shop.  Because we have the tools to do the relearn I don't mind the GM system as I don't have to road test the car to get the light to go out.  

10 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

The vehicles that will auto learn are great for the owners that do their own tire swaps and such.  No tools needed and don't have to go to a shop.  Because we have the tools to do the relearn I don't mind the GM system as I don't have to road test the car to get the light to go out.  

Good point, and I imagine it is quicker than releasing air from each individual tire waiting for the horn to beep like it use to be. 

Really can't see it mattering too much, if you hit your head in an accident, Steve. 

On 11/14/2017 at 10:46 PM, 1trailmaker said:

love my beaten up 1500, no tpms - air bag light is on is that bad?  lol

• Like 1