Snow Tires

Thinksno

21 minutes ago, irv said:

Other than less than stellar tread wear, they seem like a decent tire. How many miles did you put on them in the summer months, Stoney? Leaving winter tires on after winter, especially in the heat of the summer, is a sure way to shorten their life very quickly. http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Goodyear/Wrangler+DuraTrac

Around 25k...tires still look good considering I do tow a travel trailer in the summer months and my truck is a 3/4 ton, we will see how they are this snowy & cold winter.

I used to have a winter set of coopers just for my old truck and ran TOYO's in the summer, when I decided to buy new tires for my current truck, i decided not to go with the 2 sets of tires for this one, and out of all the folks that I talked too before buying these tires, I could not find a person that did not leave the DT on all year.

Personally I have hated GY tires for a long time, but other than people complaining of uneven wear on the DT tires, there is not a lot of bad reviews on them. The uneven wear is more times than not a lack of tire rotation or maintenance to the vehicle, not the tires fault.

The other 2 on my short list were the TK02's, but they seem to have "reported" side wall issues, so that was a concern and the TOYO AT2's were the other one on my short list for an all season/winter LT truck tire.

11 hours ago, Sksman said:

Are Duratracs any good?

There is a huge Goodyear plant in my town.  I know quite a few of the employees, and despite getting a massive discount they never buy Goodyear.  They won't really say anything bad about the tires...they just won't buy them..  Always found it interesting.  My own experience with Goodyear...not Duratrac has been decent tire but poor tread life.  Best tread life I've ever seen came from a set of Michelins on my 2008 Ridgeline.  They were the OEM tires and actually had good tread through 164000km!!!!!!!!  Had to replace as the rubber was just too hard and glazing.  

Im running toyo at 2 extremes on my truck. 

Ice is pretty well like having hockey pucks for tires.

Rain and snow is unreal. Snow covered frozen roads its actually a challenge to break them loose compared to other tires I've had.

Not too happy with the price of them but they have preformed pretty well. i think they were 17 or 1800 bucks installed.

next year ill be running 305 hercules trail diggers for the dry season and probably 245 duractracs in the winter

Yep, GoodYear today is not like they used to be.  I have had too many issues with them.  On one truck, two tires bulged in the tread.  At slow speeds, it felt like the truck was shaking it's ass.  No more Goodyears, and no more Fords for me.  :)

14 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

Anyone know a good source for Ford TPMS sensors?  Two are dead on my '09 F150 and I would like to change all four when I put new tires on shortly.  Dealer wants $75 each, seems kinda pricy.  

I think they are all the same just need to be programmed for the car.  I paid 60 each for sons car, programming incl at Simply Tire.

I know GM ones won't work on a Ford, but some aftermarket ones will work on both.  

Has anyone had luck with the ones on eBay from China?  Can be had for about $60 for four.  It's cheap enough I just might take a chance.

Have to be careful with eBay.  Many listed are "pre owned".  Used sensors with new valves.   

If you go online, you can see how guys replace the batteries.  If you're so inclined.... on my old car, they were just glorified watch batteries soldered in.  Changed 'em for $3, and filled with sealant.  Worked like a charm. 

2 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

Anyone know a good source for Ford TPMS sensors?  Two are dead on my '09 F150 and I would like to change all four when I put new tires on shortly.  Dealer wants $75 each, seems kinda pricy.  

Going through my wife's new car manual today, I seen a special tool is needed to reset the TPM 's on her car. We had a wheel/tire exchanged with another Impala as I found the one rim scratched to much for my liking. Needless to say, the dealer (Ford) didn't reset them (don't know if they could being a Ford dealer?) and we had the dreaded light air warning on our way home.

I was hoping to reset them today like I did on my 09 Sierra, but found out I couldn't. I checked PA and they only sell one, which is pricey. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/maxitpms-ts401-tpms-diagnostic-service-tool/A-p8454365e Will dealerships do this for you, which I am sure wouldn't be free, but at what cost?

I was hoping I could find another way but that hasn't been the case yet, other than I was given something on bitog.com, but won't be able to try it out until tomorrow. I am not holding my breath.

E-Bay has some a lot cheaper but I see some are from China. GM's is $60, which I assume is $60 U.S.? https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=EL-50448

9 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

We reset them free of charge all the time. It takes less than a mimute.  Our service advisors do it in the drive through.

Our new snowies and rims are hopefully going on this week so I won't need them readjusted/relearned until some time in the spring, Stealth, but that is good to know!

Thanks. :bc:

13 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

If you go online, you can see how guys replace the batteries.  If you're so inclined.... on my old car, they were just glorified watch batteries soldered in.  Changed 'em for $3, and filled with sealant.  Worked like a charm. 

Just watched a video of a guy doing that on a Corvette sensor.  I may attempt it, nothing to loose really.  If it doesn't work out I found a guy on Kijiji selling sets of four for $110 shipped. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 hours ago, irv said:

Going through my wife's new car manual today, I seen a special tool is needed to reset the TPM 's on her car. We had a wheel/tire exchanged with another Impala as I found the one rim scratched to much for my liking. Needless to say, the dealer (Ford) didn't reset them (don't know if they could being a Ford dealer?) and we had the dreaded light air warning on our way home.

I was hoping to reset them today like I did on my 09 Sierra, but found out I couldn't. I checked PA and they only sell one, which is pricey. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/maxitpms-ts401-tpms-diagnostic-service-tool/A-p8454365e Will dealerships do this for you, which I am sure wouldn't be free, but at what cost?

I was hoping I could find another way but that hasn't been the case yet, other than I was given something on bitog.com, but won't be able to try it out until tomorrow. I am not holding my breath.

E-Bay has some a lot cheaper but I see some are from China. GM's is $60, which I assume is $60 U.S.? https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=EL-50448

My mechanic resets mine for me. Just a regular garage.

20 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

I know GM ones won't work on a Ford, but some aftermarket ones will work on both.  

Has anyone had luck with the ones on eBay from China?  Can be had for about $60 for four.  It's cheap enough I just might take a chance.

Have to be careful with eBay.  Many listed are "pre owned".  Used sensors with new valves.   

I bought a set of those from a guy in Brampton who had an add on Kijiji. $90 for a set of 4. In a year and a half I'm down to one left working. 

For my son's car, I had the tire shop supply them when they mounted up the used tires and wheels I bought. A set of 4 was $80 and they are all still working 6 months later. No idea on a brand or what ever.

He closed his business last month or I'd go ask him where they came from.

I appreciate having the monitor.   Two times in my F150 the light came on while driving, sure enough I had a nail in a tire both times.  The newer systems that display the indivudual tire pressures are even better.  I'm in the habit of scrolling through and checking pressures on our cars as I'm pulling out of the driveway.  Drives the wife crazy, lol.  My old 2007 Impala put the light on, dinging and warning message as I was pulling into the driveway one night.  Sure enough, tire going flat.  Gave me warning to get up early and change it in the daylight, instead of leaving with a flat I wouldn't have seen.  I'm not one to circle check, lol.  But yeah, when the sensors start dying it can get expensive quick.  I hate having lights on the dash that shouldn't be on.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I hate those tire monitors

39 minutes ago, Poncho said:

For once we agree.... little fackers drive me nuts. I've been driving since 1976 and never worried about a 2 psi difference between tires.

They suck!

What they should offer is a way for the driver to adjust the min setting on them so the warning light goes away if you choose to run a lower than recommended PSI.... 

54 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

I appreciate having the monitor.   Two times in my F150 the light came on while driving, sure enough I had a nail in a tire both times.  The newer systems that display the indivudual tire pressures are even better.  I'm in the habit of scrolling through and checking pressures on our cars as I'm pulling out of the driveway.  Drives the wife crazy, lol.  My old 2007 Impala put the light on, dinging and warning message as I was pulling into the driveway one night.  Sure enough, tire going flat.  Gave me warning to get up early and change it in the daylight, instead of leaving with a flat I wouldn't have seen.  I'm not one to circle check, lol.  But yeah, when the sensors start dying it can get expensive quick.  I hate having lights on the dash that shouldn't be on.  

if an oil light comes on you are very close to no oil, so why do tire monitors care about a few pounds. seems odd

Let me know at 10 pounds better yet check your tires

Poncho, many trucks and some cars are programmable for the target air pressure.  So if you have a 3/4 ton rated for 80 psi in the rear tires you can program it to be happy with 60 or 50 or whatever.   Many tire monitors don't throw a light on untill the tire is 8 or more psi down.  None of them are going to over a couple pounds or even five.  With low profile tires being so common, it's harder to tell visually if a tire is low.  Yeah, some guys run around with pressure gauges but the reality is most don't.  How often do you guys check your wife's or kids tires?

• Like 1

Everyone should check their tires visually often, takes no extra time.  Walk past the front of car look at the wheel, next your going to get gas look a the tires.

pressure gauge doesn't tell you your tire is wearing hard on the inside - this is a gas savings measure and zero to do with safety.

do people check their sled track every now and then?  I do

8 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Everyone should check their tires visually often, takes no extra time.  Walk past the front of car look at the wheel, next your going to get gas look a the tires.

pressure gauge doesn't tell you your tire is wearing hard on the inside - this is a gas savings measure and zero to do with safety.

do people check their sled track every now and then?  I do

Image result for shut up flanders gif

10 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

Poncho, many trucks and some cars are programmable for the target air pressure.  So if you have a 3/4 ton rated for 80 psi in the rear tires you can program it to be happy with 60 or 50 or whatever.   Many tire monitors don't throw a light on untill the tire is 8 or more psi down.  None of them are going to over a couple pounds or even five.  With low profile tires being so common, it's harder to tell visually if a tire is low.  Yeah, some guys run around with pressure gauges but the reality is most don't.  How often do you guys check your wife's or kids tires?

Can you do a 2015 RAM 2500?

If so, where are you and is there a fee?