Snow Tires

Thinksno

I need a set of 4 snows or simply tires with snow peak symbol for my truck, I have the rims already. My concern is wear as I commute 80kms+ per day, I am looking for opinions, here is what I have been looking at:

275/60 R20

1. Blizzaks $1200 all in at Costco. Soft and I think wont last

2. Nokian Hakkapeliitta. $1700!!

3. Cooper Discover A/TW. All season tire but winter rated $1200

4. bf goodrich ko2  All season tire but winter rated $1300

5. Michelin- no tire available

Thanks

• Platinum Contributing Member

I just burned off a set of Winterclaws in that same size. Finding a deal on 20" winters is tough. I picked these up used for $500. They were ok while they lasted. No idea how many miles I put on them but 5000 kms over the summer took them from 50% to bald....lol

I have Techno Alaska M-2's to replace them. They are probably Chinese garbage but they came on a set of wheel I bought. Almost no miles on them. The dude said they didn't work well.  He bought P rates and mounted them on an F350 that he was pulling a 28 foot trailer with.....lol

Edited by Blackstar

Total Terrain A/T2 Motomaster

These will last you a long long time, put almost 100k on them so far and tread is still good.

If you have 4x4 you will never have a problem being stuck

And very quiet on the highway

near puncture proof with E wall rating 11ply

Edited by 1trailmaker

Hey Bob, I've run both the coopers and Hercs, best value winters out there. Great traction, noise was fine.

Nokian  Hakkas  were on my latest ford,  really like these tires, wore well, super traction and noise was at a decent level.

My brother just put on K02's,  another of my employee's has them as well. Work great with some good tread depth, wear well, noise level is good but more so than his stock good years.  

He swears his gas mileage has dropped though. He likes them so far, good mud ripping at our farm last weekend. Brother has a 17 Ram, kid who works for me has a 16 chev diesel. Bro got the ko2's for under 1500 tax in. Aurora AT tire, owner was my neighbor once upon a time.

Let put together a ride this winter,

JB

Thanks for suggestions, I will call around this am. The Canadian Tire website is down right now and the one dealer close to me wanted to sell me Blizzaks only but he is listed as a Hercules dealer also- will try him again. 

Edited by Thinksno

10 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Hey Bob, I've run both the coopers and Hercs, best value winters out there. Great traction, noise was fine.

Nokian  Hakkas  were on my latest ford,  really like these tires, wore well, super traction and noise was at a decent level.

My brother just put on K02's,  another of my employee's has them as well. Work great with some good tread depth, wear well, noise level is good but more so than his stock good years.  

He swears his gas mileage has dropped though. He likes them so far, good mud ripping at our farm last weekend. Brother has a 17 Ram, kid who works for me has a 16 chev diesel. Bro got the ko2's for under 1500 tax in. Aurora AT tire, owner was my neighbor once upon a time.

Let put together a ride this winter,

JB

Hey John, I have heard the heavy lug tires can kill mileage. I am hoping there will be a lot more local riding this season than last, be good to get out riding with you. 

I have run lots of different snow tires, my favourite is micheline x ice2, next with about the same snow grip but just a little bit less dry road manners is yokohoma ice guard 51, currently running hankook I pike snows, last winter and this winter. they are just a step behind the yokohomas in snow and dry pavement traction. I found the hakapelietas not that good in dry/highway traction and didn't live up to snow traction hype. I tried the cooper snows and thought they were about the same as the hakas.  bfg winterforce snows lasted about a week on my  Yukon, before I sold them. took a loss on them just to get better tires. they were at least 2 steps behind the Michelin in dry and snow.  I have read and heard that the blizzaks are the best but wear fast. I would buy the xice in a second. I have used them on 3 different vehicles and think they are the best.  the dry road manners are great, they go through slush and snow great and they last.  sometimes the snows are a softer tire so it feels squishy, greasy or slippery. they  have lots of body roll in the corners, reduced grip, lock up easy in dry braking, 

12 hours ago, ZRSledhead said:

Neither the Hercules or Coopers made any appreciable difference in fuel mileage on my '03 GM. Buddy put KO2s on his '14 F150, claims to have lost approx 2-3ltrs/100km on same driving.

That's what my brother is claiming.

KO's are a huge lug , anyone not surprised there getting worse mileage . That's like putting Dick Cepek 33's and saying there noisy ......

JB , CB drives like monkey on cocaine , maybe if he slows down a bit , like 30 over the limit , he may get better mileage . :) 

I had all terrain KO's , great tire , grippy as F , got noisy for a bit went away . 80,000 , the last 20 ( at 100 thou was not much left ) 

Wrangler SRA 's , use them because there cheap and plentiful  on Kijiji , always find sets for 150-2 . There crap , but , they are what they are .

had a set of Herc's , all terrain , great tire , lots of meat , 

Michelin , hit or miss , bought a set of latitudes , had almost no km , still nubbies on the  , bald at 60 thou , and yes the net says the same thing . 

Bridgestone duellers , meh , 

Firestone Winterforce right now , mediocre at best , but when it's bad I put it in FOUR WHEEL , guess what , there fine .

And that's Stevie's tire review for the night ... 

5 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

winter tires are like studs, overrated 

I'm using the Wrangler Duratracs and don't plan on putting the winters on.  See how it goes.

Gas mileage?  Who the fuck looks at that besides 02?:lol:

Edited by ArcticCrusher
  • Like 1

4x4s get stuck plenty easily..... just further in. 

In any case, winters/snows are about ice and snow traction, braking, and control.  Not so much about getting stuck.  

On 9/18/2017 at 6:31 PM, 1trailmaker said:

Total Terrain A/T2 Motomaster

These will last you a long long time, put almost 100k on them so far and tread is still good.

If you have 4x4 you will never have a problem being stuck

And very quiet on the highway

near puncture proof with E wall rating 11ply

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the input. Not all of the recommended tires were available in the size I needed. The one tire shop felt the Blizzak would wear out on the dry pavement that I would likely see a lot of. The idea of an all terain with a winter rating seamed like best option. I found Cooper AT/ W that are a harder compund with a good tread wear rating that had the peak symbol. 

$1100 tax balance etc installed on freshly black chromed winter wheels 

20171008_104307.jpg

1 hour ago, Thinksno said:

Thanks all for the input. Not all of the recommended tires were available in the size I needed. The one tire shop felt the Blizzak would wear out on the dry pavement that I would likely see a lot of. The idea of an all terain with a winter rating seamed like best option. I found Cooper AT/ W that are a harder compund with a good tread wear rating that had the peak symbol. 

He's what I like to call wrong.

23 hours ago, Thinksno said:

20171008_104307.jpg

Another great deal, Bob. Keep us informed on how you like them and how well they last. :bc:

Anyone have any experience with Toyos? Specifically the Observe G3-ICE?  Have package deal 245/65R/17 $1528 all in and mounted with black steel rims through my Honda dealer (includes TPMS sensors)

Oh...  My last Ridgeline I ran the Nokian all weather/winter rated tires.  Little bit louder than the factory Michelins and bit shorter life span but great tire for the price.

Lots of info out there on what is the best but it is not surprising to hear Michelin's get top marks most of the time. These are just someone's opinions of course, but I have always had great luck with Michelins. I am currently running Hercules winters, I believe, and I am happy with them (great price and wearing good, imo) but when the time comes to upgrade my factory tires on my Ram, I'd have no issue purchasing Michelin M&S again. Although not a true snow tire, I ran them year round on my 97 Sierra and I thought they worked excellent. Of course, if Ontario ever implements a snow tire law like they have in Quebec, then these won't cut it. https://www.auto123.com/en/news/meilleurs-pneus-hiver-2017-2018-vus-camions/64056/

http://www.wheels.ca/news/popular-winter-tire-brands-for-2017/ 

https://pmctire.com/en/info/evaluations/rating-winter.tire

Edited by irv
  • Like 1