• 9 months later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member
20 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

maxresdefault-1_1.jpg?itok=xxmZBOPx

NASA Completes Webb Telescope Review, Commits to Launch in Early 2021

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-completes-webb-telescope-review-commits-to-launch-in-early-2021

Neal

Watched a show on this.   While the potential images it could get capture the imagination the risk/reward on an un-repairable telescope make me scratch my head.    

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Watched a show on this.   While the potential images it could get capture the imagination the risk/reward on an un-repairable telescope make me scratch my head.    

they said the hubble was unrepairable too ......until someone figured out how to repair it. 

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

That is why I am not concerned with budget and timeframe for the satellite.  Get it done properly, no rushing it.

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Hubble was in LEO, JWST is going to be very far away (relatively speaking).

Neal

Right......but its stupid to speak in definitive terms regarding this stuff with how incredibly fast our ability to execute technological marvels evolves. I am 100% for expanding budgets for space exploration and all tech related to the endeavor .....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Right......but its stupid to speak in definitive terms regarding this stuff with how incredibly fast our ability to execute technological marvels evolves. I am 100% for expanding budgets for space exploration and all tech related to the endeavor .....

I agree on all fronts.  

There is nothing that would hold us back now from running a service mission out to L2, other than the time in space, which we have accomplished on the ISS.

Neal

15 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

That is why I am not concerned with budget and timeframe for the satellite.  Get it done properly, no rushing it.

Neal

I'm concerned that a satellite that costs billions and billions could be made obsolete by a piece of space debris.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I'm concerned that a satellite that costs billions and billions could be made obsolete by a piece of space debris.  

It could happen.  That's not a reason to forgo the operation though.  Again, a concern like that must be addressed with time and money.

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

It could happen.  That's not a reason to forgo the operation though.  Again, a concern like that must be addressed with time and money.

Neal

Not sure how time an money will resolve some things in a trip 900,000+ miles from earth.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Not sure how time an money will resolve some things in a trip 900,000+ miles from earth.  

Design, protection of systems as best we can from space debris.  Those kinds of things require lots of testing, prototyping and whatnot.  Time and $$.

We can't be 100% certain of protection, but we can do things to mitigate it.

Neal

Design, protection of systems as best we can from space debris.  Those kinds of things require lots of testing, prototyping and whatnot.  Time and $$.

Neal

We spend 10's of billions on missile defense systems and when they show abysmal success rates at shooting down incoming objects everyone just moves on to the next trillion worth of boondoggles. I'd rather see the cash literally burned in an incinerator than spent on fancy new bombs to kill poor brown people 

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 1

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Yes again I'm not 100% against the project but I have to wonder if the benefit outweighs the cost.

Honestly I don't think the human race will ever travel to another naturally inhabitable planet.   Money spent on it can be a waste.   

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yes again I'm not 100% against the project but I have to wonder if the benefit outweighs the cost.

Honestly I don't think the human race will ever travel to another naturally inhabitable planet.   Money spent on it can be a waste.   

The benefit absolutely does outweigh the risk.  No question.

I think Mars living will be a reality, and possibly some of the moons with warm interiors.

Neal

• Like 1

The benefit absolutely does outweigh the risk.  No question.

I think Mars living will be a reality, and possibly some of the moons with warm interiors.

Neal

Naturally inhabitable means with its own breathable atmosphere.   

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Naturally inhabitable means with its own breathable atmosphere.   

Finding a planet that is similar to Earth for atmosphere and having liquid water and a magnetic field is indeed a long way off.  Not something that is an immediate concern.

Neal

Necessity is the mother of invention. Task people with living on other planets and they will overcome obstructions and excel .........we need other places to live. Earth will not be enough in the coming years and given some type of ELE may occur we should have colonies in place ensuring the survival of the species.