Propane furnace help please

stealth bomber

So I live in a two story home about 1800 square feet, plus the walk in basement.  House is about 30 years old, heated by a geothermal unit that's roughly the same age from what I can tell.  The unit is of the age that it's not reliable enough any more, and I'm done spending money on it.  Hard to find a tech to work on this older thing also.  It's like a carbureted car, but techs now days want to be able to plug a scanner in.  Due to high cost of replacement, the fact that we don't plan on staying in this house long term, I'm not considering replacing with another geothermal, but would like to switch over to a forced air propane furnace.  Looking for advice on good brands or brands to stay away from, unit size requirements etc.  Also need to know regulations on where the above ground tank can be placed.  I have a chimney available being currently used for an oil fired water tank which I plan to change to propane at the same time.                  

35 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

So I live in a two story home about 1800 square feet, plus the walk in basement.  House is about 30 years old, heated by a geothermal unit that's roughly the same age from what I can tell.  The unit is of the age that it's not reliable enough any more, and I'm done spending money on it.  Hard to find a tech to work on this older thing also.  It's like a carbureted car, but techs now days want to be able to plug a scanner in.  Due to high cost of replacement, the fact that we don't plan on staying in this house long term, I'm not considering replacing with another geothermal, but would like to switch over to a forced air propane furnace.  Looking for advice on good brands or brands to stay away from, unit size requirements etc.  Also need to know regulations on where the above ground tank can be placed.  I have a chimney available being currently used for an oil fired water tank which I plan to change to propane at the same time.                  

all should be direct vent now so chimney won't be used

Large tanks are to be like 30ft away from home or something close to that number.

You can however use the smaller tanks (connected together) and have them almost anywhere you wish.  My nieghbour does this he has 4 I think  300 lb tanks.

I would go for the large tank if you have the room

from my understanding there is no difference between natural gas and propane other than a regulator -  so you will be buying a natural gas furnace

47 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

Buy a Lennox. No ifs and or buts. If you staying in for the long term get the DC motor furnace. And the chimney will be all new on both accounts

On 9/5/2017 at 3:25 PM, Usedtoskidoo said:

Buy a Lennox. No ifs and or buts. If you staying in for the long term get the DC motor furnace. And the chimney will be all new on both accounts

Lennox makes a good furnace, but they are pricey and proprietary. Meaning, when something goes wrong, Lennox parts are the only ones that work/fit and you will pay through the nose for them unless you have a plan that will cover them. 

I searched "gas" furnaces earlier this year (Dec-Jan) and ended up going with a Daikin. So far so good, and the 12yrs warranty was a plus. My next choice would have been a Trane, but the warranty was 10 instead of 12.

Not sure the propane route, but would look into both of these to find out if they are available?