Bhent Airways , first flight

On 9/27/2017 at 4:40 PM, f7ben said:

watermark.jpg?modified=1506182117

This thing just gives me an absolute raging boner !!!!!!!!!!1111

That's the nicest looking airplane I've ever seen. Is that a Shoestring, A buddy of mine built a Shoestring.

Edited by 2strokemerc

• 2 weeks later...

Flew another .9 hours today ....worked on slow flight , turns etc. Worked on effects of flaps and trim and their associated impact on attitude and speed etc. A lot to learn and a ton of info to retain.... 3rd time up today and getting much much more comfortable in the plane. Got to spend a few minute checking out their 182RG just to get an idea of the size etc.....damn nice plane. A 182 would fit my needs perfectly. I wouldnt deal with the retract for the extra 15knots of speed. I just wish the fixed gear 182's were 5-10 knots faster....oh well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Flew another .9 hours today ....worked on slow flight , turns etc. Worked on effects of flaps and trim and their associated impact on attitude and speed etc. A lot to learn and a ton of info to retain.... 3rd time up today and getting much much more comfortable in the plane. Got to spend a few minute checking out their 182RG just to get an idea of the size etc.....damn nice plane. A 182 would fit my needs perfectly. I wouldnt deal with the retract for the extra 15knots of speed. I just wish the fixed gear 182's were 5-10 knots faster....oh well.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of things. A 182 with just a few mods should be able to cruise 125knots easily. Getting the plane cleaned up is the first order of business. Clean up the gear and make the fuselage fly at a more level attitude.  With a little HP a 182 will fly 135+ pretty easily, maybe even more. 

In AK we're more concerned with slow flight because of all the super short strips we try to get in to.. Getting a cessna to fly +/- 40mph on the slow end and +135 on the top end on 15gpm makes for the perfect plane.  

25 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Sounds like you're getting the hang of things. A 182 with just a few mods should be able to cruise 125knots easily. Getting the plane cleaned up is the first order of business. Clean up the gear and make the fuselage fly at a more level attitude.  With a little HP a 182 will fly 135+ pretty easily, maybe even more. 

In AK we're more concerned with slow flight because of all the super short strips we try to get in to.. Getting a cessna to fly +/- 40mph on the slow end and +135 on the top end on 15gpm makes for the perfect plane.  

From what I'm reading everyone with a well rigged 182 flight plans for 130-135 knots....that would be 75% power with wheel pants and cruising at 8000ft + or - .......I could live with that but for that fuel burn a bo or a mooney or a comanche will fly 160+ kts  ....the mooney will do that on 10gph and the comanche and bo on 11-12  ... in reality though that would only be an additional 45 minutes travel time for me to make my 480nm cross country to home from here in 182 vs the retracts. Obviously the retracts are going to cost an additional 2-4k per year in annuals and insurance so there is a lot of sense in sticking with a fixed gear.

I chatted a little with my CFI today about buying a plane...she recommended that I just work through getting my license in the 172 so I am as familiar as possible with the plane for my checkride. She said certainly if I found a plane I liked to jump on it but she said it would take more time flying to get used to a new plane and ready for taking a check ride in it. Makes sense. The first thing she said when I brought up buying a plane was "182" .....of course she is biased to cessna's and high wings as she trains with them but it makes sense. She knows why am getting my license and her recommending the 182 makes sense just like it did when you recommended it.

The nice thing about a P and older model 182 is you can get a mogas stc and run pump 87 in them if you can find it without ethanol which is no issue for me here. That is certainly an attractive option. I could get a 250 gallon tote and mix say 80/20 mogas to avgas and I would burn that in 60-75 days so no worries about it getting old. Over the course of an a TBO I would save the cost of an engine in fuel and mogas is way way better for an engine if it is run properly and the fuel system doesnt mind it.

Edited by f7ben

1 minute ago, RJM said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=glenn+curtiss+museum&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

some of my buddies and I flew here last week ten planes in all a Stearman, Waco, 152, 2-182, L-19 and some home builts 

Awesome ....there is an aviation museum at the airport I am training at. We went there in August....it was really cool for a small place

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2017 at 10:40 PM, f7ben said:

I'd be willing to bet less than 1 in 10 GA planes flying cross country has a paper sectional in it today ....maybe less than that. Nobody uses them at all as far as I can tell. They are all but worthless. Fuck flying around trying to figure out railroad tracks and landmarks. That is what a fucking GPS is for.....I learn to use them to pass my checkride and then never think about them again like every other pilot in the civilized world.

I dont know about planes but boating off shore, all good captains have charts on board. Do what the standard is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, s pump said:

I dont know about planes but boating off shore, all good captains have charts on board. Do what the standard is.

I will do what the standard is and that is use the technology that is available and learn to use it well. !!!!1111

Flying on the 31st this month......will be doing stalls so it should be exciting 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, s pump said:

I agree I used my paper chart while flying this past weekend 

24 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I will do what the standard is and that is use the technology that is available and learn to use it well. !!!!1111

Flying on the 31st this month......will be doing stalls so it should be exciting 

Ahhhhhhh you don't need no stupid charts anywayz  :bc:

29 minutes ago, f7ben said:

is it because you gps and backup gps and both Ipads all failed at the same time :lol: 

When the NORKS explode that EMP bomb that is what's going to happen, but it won't matter cuz both magnetos will also be dead :flush: 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

is it because you gps and backup gps and both Ipads all failed at the same time :lol: 

Just an fyi, sometimes gps signal just drops. Anything running on sat signal is not fool proof. I have two antennas on my Garmin and had a drop out last weekend for about 10 minutes. 

• Like 1