Wife/we need a new car. What's good?

irv

Most know I am not a fan of GM trucks but when it comes to cars, I rarely think of another brand. My wife's 2001 Olds Intrigue, although it only has 108,000 KM's on it, is starting to cost us money. A/C is caput again, it has always used oil, wheels always leaked air, it is starting to rust by rear gas tank neck, and is currently leaking oil somewhere from the engine. There are more issues but they are minor comparatively. 

I really don't feel like pumping anymore money into it, it needs tires as well, so I am leaning towards getting something new(er) but I am unsure what to look at? She and I like the Impalas and Malibus and somewhat the Equinox's, but I don't know anything about them as far as reliability goes? My Buddy, who owns a garage and works on anything says it doesn't matter much anymore, with cars or trucks, what you purchase this day and age. He says most are junk as he sees them all quite regularly. My wife can get the GM discount, which is why I am leaning that way, but like my Ram, maybe we can get something else, despite the GM discount for the same or less money? 

Thoughts?

Edited by irv

6 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Chevy Cruze 1.4ltre. Good on gas, quiet, ride nice and pretty reliable. Also inexpensive

Thanks, George. My Niece just traded one in as she didn't quite care for the size (too small) and I know my wife said the same thing so that is why I am leaning toward the Impala/Malibu or a Equinox. I know if I find something that "I" think my wife will like (options, color, price, etc) she will find something about it that she doesn't like!! I just did a used vehicle search and I was pleasantly surprised to see the price of used ones. I was thinking I was going to be into a lot more. I am not sure what her car is worth, but after seeing these used ones, it is going to be a lot less than what I was thinking/hoping. 

39 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Mazda 3 is the only car on my rental profile to avoid.  Lol.

Haha.  Well I rec it for a few reasons.  My ex bought a low km one 5 yrs ago, and other than tires and brakes, it hasn't missed a beat. My bud is an auto robot engineer, and he claims the 3 is the best built compact in na.  

Anyways like anything with a motor, I research "problems", and go from there.  

16 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Haha.  Well I rec it for a few reasons.  My ex bought a low km one 5 yrs ago, and other than tires and brakes, it hasn't missed a beat. My bud is an auto robot engineer, and he claims the 3 is the best built compact in na.  

Anyways like anything with a motor, I research "problems", and go from there.  

Not knocking reliabilty.  Drove one for 5 hours and had a stiff back.

My wife has a 2016 Mazda 3 GS. She absolutely loves it and she usually only cares about a colour but she praises it all the time. I like it and the quality and comfort of seats makes it nice to be in IMO. The other car I would consider would be a 2017 civic but its a bit pricey for same options.