Big rebound: 287,000 jobs added in June

I'm guessing that this is going to be a hot topic at the Democratic National Convention next week, I've been seeing this for a while as have other employers that I have talked too, and outlook continues to be optimistic for continued growth :bc:

No bullshit folks, if you are doing a bang up job at work and making your company money now is the time to ask your boss for a raise :music: :usflag:

The U.S. added 287,000 new jobs in June, according to the Labor Department report released Friday.

It's a massive rebound from May when the U.S. added a mere 11,000 jobs. Unemployment rose slightly in June to 4.9% (up from 4.7% in May). That's actually a good sign because it means more Americans are looking for work again.

The big boost in hiring in June alleviates fears that the U.S. economy is sputtering. It's especially welcome news after the Brexit shock that rattled markets. Stocks rallied Friday morning.

"The economy continues on a solid, but not spectacular path," says John Ryding of RDQ Economics.

What it means for the economy

Perhaps the best news from the jobs report is that wages are finally showing signs of life. Wage growth picked up to 2.6%. That's still below the 3.5% or so the Fed would like to see, but it's a healthy bump from earlier in the year when wage growth was barely above 2%. Finding "good paying jobs" has become a key issue on the 2016 campaign trail.

While the June jobs figure is eyebrow raising in a good way, it's unlikely to be enough to sway the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates at its July meeting.

"Nothing in this report that signals the Fed needs to hurry to raise rates," says Kate Warne, chief investment strategist at Edward Jones. "It's a first step, but we'll need to see many other positive signs before the Fed is likely to move."

Economists surveyed by CNNMoney predict one rate hike in 2016. It's possible that could come in September, but more likely in December.

The bigger picture on jobs

Many believe America is at -- or near -- full employment, although U.S. Labor Secretary Tom Perez is quick to say, "We're not there yet. We've got more work to do."

The overall share of Americans working is at its lowest point since the 1970s. The decline in the labor force is partly explain by Baby Boomers retiring, but there's also concern that some people just gave up looking for jobs after the Great Recession. Labor force participation did increase slightly in June.

America added millions of jobs in 2014 and 2015 in the biggest hiring spree since 1999. The U.S. was routinely adding well over 200,000 jobs a month. That rapid pace of job gains has slowed this year.

While the June figure was big, the three-month average for job gains is only 147,000.

"There's been a significant loss of momentum from the end of last year," says Lindsey Piegza, chief economist at Stifel Nicolaus. "The slower pace of the job creation matches the reduced pace of the economy."

The U.S. economy is only expected to grow about 2% this year, which is below the historical average and a slowdown from the 2.4% growth last year.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/07/news/economy/us-economy-june-jobs-report/index.html?iid=ob_article_hotListpool

• Like 1

We're getting close to the average economic life cycle where another recession would pop up, but maybe due to the very low and slow growth we might avoid it for a few more years. :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member

All the money is going to upper management and the Board of Directors it seems where I work. The phrase being trickled down from the top is "Do more with less"  :flush: It used to be a fantastic place to work, now it's diminshed to just a good place to work. No more OT, no more comp time, no more mid-year enhancements, bonuses are getting tied up in managerial bullshit now etc. Plenty of other jobs out there but not sure I want to jump ship.

Look at Vince trying to put frosting on a turd........287,000 jobs, whoopeeee!  The time to celebrate will be 6 months months from now when that turd leaves the White House.

SIMPLY THE WORST: Obama is First President Ever to Not See Single Year of 3% GDP Growth

This ranks Obama as the fourth worst presidency on record.

Obama’s just like Reagan… Except when he isn’t.

The rate of real economic growth is the single greatest determinate of both America’s strength as a nation and the well-being of the American people.

Ronald Reagan brought forth an annual real GDP growth of 3.5%.

Barack Obama will be lucky to average a 1.55% GDP growth rate. This ranks Obama as the fourth worst presidency on record.

Barack Obama will be the only U.S. president in history who did not deliver a single year of 3.0%+ economic growth.According to Louis Woodhill, if the economy continues to perform below 2.67% GDP growth rate this year, President Barack Obama will leave office with the fourth worst economic record in US history.

All crap part time shit and don't you need about 280k to break even???? apparently it's not enough when growth goes from 2.4 % to less than 2%, but that's awesome in Ballsack land :flush: 

1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

Look at Vince trying to put frosting on a turd........287,000 jobs, whoopeeee!  The time to celebrate will be 6 months months from now when that turd leaves the White House.

SIMPLY THE WORST: Obama is First President Ever to Not See Single Year of 3% GDP Growth

This ranks Obama as the fourth worst presidency on record.

Obama’s just like Reagan… Except when he isn’t.

The rate of real economic growth is the single greatest determinate of both America’s strength as a nation and the well-being of the American people.

Ronald Reagan brought forth an annual real GDP growth of 3.5%.

Barack Obama will be lucky to average a 1.55% GDP growth rate. This ranks Obama as the fourth worst presidency on record.

Barack Obama will be the only U.S. president in history who did not deliver a single year of 3.0%+ economic growth.According to Louis Woodhill, if the economy continues to perform below 2.67% GDP growth rate this year, President Barack Obama will leave office with the fourth worst economic record in US history.

short memory eh shortnut

Snoplumber is bitching....all the trades contractors I know are balls deep in work. 

Snoputz plumbing must not be a first rate contractor :snack:

If a Republican had this lackluster of economic growth for 7 years the libs on here would be pissing themselves with anger.

2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

All the money is going to upper management and the Board of Directors it seems where I work. The phrase being trickled down from the top is "Do more with less"  :flush: It used to be a fantastic place to work, now it's diminshed to just a good place to work. No more OT, no more comp time, no more mid-year enhancements, bonuses are getting tied up in managerial bullshit now etc. Plenty of other jobs out there but not sure I want to jump ship.

I would test the waters and see what is out there and what other employers are offering wage and benefit wise, and even do an interview or two, I would then ask for a meeting with my boss to discuss my situation at the company; for that you need to come armed with solid information of your contributions to the company and a report of what others in a similar position are earning in the industry as this will all validate your request for an increase in wage and or bennies that you know to be market value.

Now that meeting can go positive or negative, an immediate positive would be the boss saying you go it, or the boss saying I have to look into it and I will get back to you in a few days, in any event do not tip your hand that you have been out there testing the waters.

Good luck and have no fear asking for what you are worth, and have no fear in jumping ship to better your position in life economically :bc:

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

If a Republican had this lackluster of economic growth for 7 years the libs on here would be pissing themselves with anger.

Do you disagree that 287,000 will be the talk of the convention?

Do you disagree that if it continues into November that it becomes the juggernaut to carry Clinton in landslide to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

9 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I would test the waters and see what is out there and what other employers are offering wage and benefit wise, and even do an interview or two, I would then ask for a meeting with my boss to discuss my situation at the company; for that you need to come armed with solid information of your contributions to the company and a report of what others in a similar position are earning in the industry as this will all validate your request for an increase in wage and or bennies that you know to be market value.

Now that meeting can go positive or negative, an immediate positive would be the boss saying you go it, or the boss saying I have to look into it and I will get back to you in a few days, in any event do not tip your hand that you have been out there testing the waters.

Good luck and have no fear asking for what you are worth, and have no fear in jumping ship to better your position in life economically :bc:

Excellent advice and I thank you for it!

I've been here for a number of years and had hopes of staying for a long time but things are steadily decreasing for us worker bees while upper management has more and more big dollar parties, European cruises etc. All the little perks we used to get are gone. It is about time I check on my market value again especially when I know bigger companies like GM are hiring people at my level for a nice increase in $$$. I just don't want to put target on my back if/when things take a turn. I'm the youngest in my group and yet have surpassed a good portion of the senior people. I’m good at what I do so I will be fine one way or another. :bc: 

12 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Do you disagree that 287,000 will be the talk of the convention?

Do you disagree that if it continues into November that it becomes the juggernaut to carry Clinton in landslide to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

Who knows if it will be the talk of the convention.  I don't see it as anything special.

Now, the big question.  What does hillary have to do with it?

5 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Who knows if it will be the talk of the convention.  I don't see it as anything special.

Now, the big question.  What does hillary have to do with it?

Hillary will use it as a tool to explain that a vote for her is a continuation of a successful policy, and one that she plans on improving on, you have to be real dense to not understand that these unemployment numbers and especially a continuation of them thru November is a huge asset for Secretary Clinton.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Excellent advice and I thank you for it!

I've been here for a number of years and had hopes of staying for a long time but things are steadily decreasing for us worker bees while upper management has more and more big dollar parties, European cruises etc. All the little perks we used to get are gone. It is about time I check on my market value again especially when I know bigger companies like GM are hiring people at my level for a nice increase in $$$. I just don't want to put target on my back if/when things take a turn. I'm the youngest in my group and yet have surpassed a good portion of the senior people. I’m good at what I do so I will be fine one way or another. :bc: 

Good luck! :bc:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Hillary will use it as a tool to explain that a vote for her is a continuation of a successful policy, and one that she plans on improving on, you have to be real dense to not understand that these unemployment numbers and especially a continuation of them thru November is a huge asset for Secretary Clinton.

You know Doe Dumber.....and dense is an understatement...:D

You guys biased caused ignorance cracks me up.  I'll give you a hint, its summer these are not long term jobs.  

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 287,000 in June, after changing little 
in May (+11,000). In June, job growth occurred in leisure and hospitality, health 
care and social assistance, and financial activities.

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You guys biased caused ignorance cracks me up.  I'll give you a hint, its summer these are not long term jobs.  

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 287,000 in June, after changing little 
in May (+11,000). In June, job growth occurred in leisure and hospitality, health 

Predictable that a democrat POTUS would have job numbers shown as going up right before the DNC convention.  They need something to use

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Dude you can paint the negative all you want for political purposes, the reality is it makes you like a jackass.

And it's not only Chicago, business is a booming in most areas of the country. I make it a point to always ask folks in other industries and geographic areas how is business, the consensus is it's good.

Make hay folks the sun is shining, and remember accentuate the positive and forget the negative :bc:

These are real hard hat and engineering jobs that will create housing and office space for business.

Edited by Mileage Psycho

6 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm guessing that this is going to be a hot topic at the Democratic National Convention next week, I've been seeing this for a while as have other employers that I have talked too, and outlook continues to be optimistic for continued growth :bc:

No bullshit folks, if you are doing a bang up job at work and making your company money now is the time to ask your boss for a raise :music: :usflag:

How the fuck are we gonna make America Great Again if you keep posting this kinda stuff?

I have to twist arms to get EC's to bid on $1,000,000+ electrical packages.  Had 2 bidders on a larger project - low was $860,000, the other guy didn't really want it and was $1.05 million.  When W was in charge I'd have close to 15 bidders on a similar size project.  

Most jobs are in the $200,000 - $500,000 range and 3-4 bidders are usually all that bid because they have work lined up for the next 8-12 months.  Must be the bad economy :D

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

I have to twist arms to get EC's to bid on $1,000,000+ electrical packages.  Had 2 bidders on a larger project - low was $860,000, the other guy didn't really want it and was $1.05 million.  When W was in charge I'd have close to 15 bidders on a similar size project.  

Most jobs are in the $200,000 - $500,000 range and 3-4 bidders are usually all that bid because they have work lined up for the next 8-12 months.  Must be the bad economy :D

How many of these are publicly funded projects?