Tire kicking today

I've got 7 trailers at present time, had many different brands and types through the years, open & enclosed, Sled, ATV,  drop ramp, stored ramp, Boat & utility, if I learned anything from all that it was NEVER buy a steel trailer if used in the Winter.

28 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I've got 7 trailers at present time, had many different brands and types through the years, open & enclosed, Sled, ATV,  drop ramp, stored ramp, Boat & utility, if I learned anything from all that it was NEVER buy a steel trailer if used in the Winter.

Ive got an aluminum enclosed and 2 steel enclosed....i would never buy an aluminum again.

1 hour ago, FAT DAVE said:

Ive got an aluminum enclosed and 2 steel enclosed....i would never buy an aluminum again.

? you are the only person I know who said that. I have Always sold my alloys for real close to what they cost me 5 to ten yrs down the road .the 2 steel enclosed I have owned were more or less give aways in less than 8 close to 75% loss.

I can only assume they don't use the hash chemicals where you use them ? I know out west they don't and a lot of guys have steel

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

? you are the only person I know who said that. I have Always sold my alloys for real close to what they cost me 5 to ten yrs down the road .the 2 steel enclosed I have owned were more or less give aways in less than 8 close to 75% loss.

I can only assume they don't use the hash chemicals where you use them ? I know out west they don't and a lot of guys have steel

Who keeps a trailer for 10 yrs? :lol:

I have owned 11 steel trailers through the years, only ones that held up real well were the 3 Snowbird's, they were thick Galvanized and 1 is still near me to this day and it looks fine, the other steel ones all rusted through including the last 4 place I sold to the bar owner, he has repaired the frame numerous times and now it's a waste of time, that one came from Tom's trailer sales in Menominee Falls, Wisc.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

I have owned 11 steel trailers through the years, only ones that held up real well were the 3 Snowbird's, they were thick Galvanized and 1 is still near me to this day and it looks fine, the other steel ones all rusted through including the last 4 place I sold to the bar owner, he has repaired the frame numerous times and now it's a waste of time, that one came from Tom's trailer sales in Menominee Falls, Wisc.

Most the people i know who had aluminum enclosed have had frame issues...mines a 2014 and is cracked in 3 places....

9 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It will be kept at the camp. Menards runs, kayaks,dirt bikes, ATV retriever etc. 61/2 x10 with a drop ramp for $950. I think I should take @racinfarmer advice and get the Twelve  so l could throw a sled on it.

I've learned over the years that buying a trailer is like building a shed or shop, always go bigger than you think you'll need.

It is also like buying golf clubs or a bike, get a well known brand name one.  

It may not need to be a top of the line $12,000 full carbon Specialized, but at least get the Specialized over the Schwinn.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, FAT DAVE said:

Were talking enclosed

I thought this thread was about utility trailers.

I had a steel enclosed sled trailer for 4 years. Sold it for less than half what I paid for it. It was rotten and heavy. I've had my aluminum enclosed for 7 years now with no intentions of selling.

I have a 6x12 Steel enclosed that I bought 7 years ago. Its rotten. Hoping I can scrape $500 out of it.

I bought a 7x12 aluminum last week to replace it.

For my utility trailers, I went steel because they get worked hard by employees who don't give a shit, and steel is harder to break and easier to fix.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I thought this thread was about utility trailers.

I had a steel enclosed sled trailer for 4 years. Sold it for less than half what I paid for it. It was rotten and heavy. I've had my aluminum enclosed for 7 years now with no intentions of selling.

I have a 6x12 Steel enclosed that I bought 7 years ago. Its rotten. Hoping I can scrape $500 out of it.

I bought a 7x12 aluminum last week to replace it.

For my utility trailers, I went steel because they get worked hard by employees who don't give a shit, and steel is harder to break and easier to fix.

My aluminum trailer looks like new.... :lol:

But the frames cracked....my steel ones are not cracked. :bc: