I got it bad!!!!!11

Those things burn 18-20gph and while they are awesome because of useful load they cost a shit ton more every year. Its not uncommon for a annual on a twin to be twice what a similar single is. If the A&P doesnt find much wrong bank on 4-5k for a twin with retractable gear. If somethings need fixing it can quickly turn into 10k+

Those are the numbers that scared me away from all the pipers and mooneys and bonanza from the golden age of aviation.

Plus if you wanna put any upgrades into the plane from what it was built with 40 years ago you have to pay the extortion tax (STC) to the fucking FAA.....complete garbage

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Those things burn 18-20gph and while they are awesome because of useful load they cost a shit ton more every year. Its not uncommon for a annual on a twin to be twice what a similar single is. If the A&P doesnt find much wrong bank on 4-5k for a twin with retractable gear. If somethings need fixing it can quickly turn into 10k+

Those are the numbers that scared me away from all the pipers and mooneys and bonanza from the golden age of aviation.

Plus if you wanna put any upgrades into the plane from what it was built with 40 years ago you have to pay the extortion tax (STC) to the fucking FAA.....complete garbage

Yeah they eventually found it not worth the cost and sold them...one of my dads buddy's flew a Bonanza back in the day...always thought they were a cool plane.

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

Yeah they eventually found it not worth the cost and sold them...one of my dads buddy's flew a Bonanza back in the day...always thought they were a cool plane.

they are super cool planes , totally capable of long cross country today. It just costs an arm and a leg to own them because the FAA wont even let you change the spark plugs on your own plane. Every year you have to pay the shit out of some A&P to spend 2 days going over every little thing and from the sounds of it unless he's your cousin you are forking over a months salary at best. I understand some of it and the safety aspect but for a guy like me that likes to spin a few wrenches a certified aircraft just isnt an option at all 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

they are super cool planes , totally capable of long cross country today. It just costs an arm and a leg to own them because the FAA wont even let you change the spark plugs on your own plane. Every year you have to pay the shit out of some A&P to spend 2 days going over every little thing and from the sounds of it unless he's your cousin you are forking over a months salary at best. I understand some of it and the safety aspect but for a guy like me that likes to spin a few wrenches a certified aircraft just isnt an option at all 

The guy that owned The Bonanza was an Orthopedic Surgeon from Lansing and this was back in the 70's....my old man had his license as well and some of the stories I heard about them flying to deer camp in shitty weather were priceless. :lol:

Edited by Biggie Smails

3 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

The guy that owned The Bonanza was an Orthopedic Surgeon from Lansing and this was back in the 70's....my old man had his license as well and some of the stories I heard about them flying to deer camp in shitty weather were priceless. :lol:

that is fucking awesome .......what sold me on this was listening to a guy talk about the first time you fly solo

He said its like that time you got your first bike and the size of your world doubled....or when you got your drivers license and you were totally free. He said most people never feel that feeling again but when you can fly it like that x10 ....the adventures waiting to happen are limitless

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

that is fucking awesome .......what sold me on this was listening to a guy talk about the first time you fly solo

He said its like that time you got your first bike and the size of your world doubled....or when you got your drivers license and you were totally free. He said most people never feel that feeling again but when you can fly it like that x10 ....the adventures waiting to happen are limitless

Absolutely....I always meant to get my license but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. I need to dig around my scrapbooks that my mom gave me because there are some great pictures of a trip that my parents took with a couple friend of theirs again back in the early 70's. They flew I believe a Cessna 172 from here to Mexico and my dads buddy Ward was speaking to the tower in some half ass pigeon Spanish and when they landed they were met by armed soldiers in a jeep...like you said  limitless adventures. :thumb:

36 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Absolutely....I always meant to get my license but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. I need to dig around my scrapbooks that my mom gave me because there are some great pictures of a trip that my parents took with a couple friend of theirs again back in the early 70's. They flew I believe a Cessna 172 from here to Mexico and my dads buddy Ward was speaking to the tower in some half ass pigeon Spanish and when they landed they were met by armed soldiers in a jeep...like you said  limitless adventures. :thumb:

holy shit that is awesome .......I was tuned in to a forum with a gentlemen that flew his single piston 4 seater mooney around the world last month......it seemed like a complete mind fuck. Men used to live that type of adventure every day .......now all we do is cry if our frapachino isnt warm enough or if someone cuts us off on a yellow light 

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, f7ben said:

holy shit that is awesome .......I was tuned in to a forum with a gentlemen that flew his single piston 4 seater mooney around the world last month......it seemed like a complete mind fuck. Men used to live that type of adventure every day .......now all we do is cry if our frapachino isnt warm enough or if someone cuts us off on a yellow light 

There's a guy on Youtube that's getting ready to fly around the world in a small plane. I'm not sure of the plane but the do a short test flight at the end of the video.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, f7ben said:

No Shit.....what the fuck has happened to us? :bashhead:

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Ever look in to what a overhaul on a helicopter cost?  

10 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Look at this fucking nimrod..........

first time my wife flew was with me to san diego. i convinced her it's perfectly safe, no worries. we're coming in for a landing in cincinnati and we suddenly accelerate and climb quickly. the plane is rocking back and forth, people are scared, start puking, etc. i look out the window and see a plane taking off underneath us. i'm really surprised we don't see more crashes from this.

22 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

first time my wife flew was with me to san diego. i convinced her it's perfectly safe, no worries. we're coming in for a landing in cincinnati and we suddenly accelerate and climb quickly. the plane is rocking back and forth, people are scared, start puking, etc. i look out the window and see a plane taking off underneath us. i'm really surprised we don't see more crashes from this.

I'd pay extra for that kind of fun. :lol: 

21 hours ago, bussman said:

My grandfather was a pilot and engineer for CW in Ohio during the war and his claim to fame was successfully redesigning the faulty tail of the SB2C Navy Helldiver. It came to at the end of the war though. He flew until he was 92. :bc: 

The Curtis Wright museum is 45  mins from me in Hammondsport NY

22 hours ago, Edmo said:

Check this boat out Ben, custom built for Henry Ford by Hacker boats in the 20's. It has an old WW1 12 cylinder airplane motor in it. The sound is incredible.

That is a super cool boat.  I would love to hear that thing sing as it sped full tilt across the lake.  Bad Ass.

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

That is a super cool boat.  I would love to hear that thing sing as it sped full tilt across the lake.  Bad Ass.

X2

I love the sound of Unlimited Hydros running Merlins and Allisons.....pure sex.

Edited by Biggie Smails

5 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

The boat name is Evangeline. Named after his long time secretary and supposed mistress. She had a kid and never was married...hmmm. Also was the name of the street I grew up on.

11 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

Me too , I've found TONS of close calls / runway incursion incidents just with with a little snooping around online , pretty scary stuff .  :bc:

On 8/18/2017 at 3:50 PM, Edmo said:

Check this boat out Ben, custom built for Henry Ford by Hacker boats in the 20's. It has an old WW1 12 cylinder airplane motor in it. The sound is incredible.

there are a few hackers running around my house with the old 12 cyl mustang motors . they do sound pretty bad as with the pipes just out the ass. few old chris craft with military plain motors also and a few  with old bell souix chopper motors Korea war era I believe . they sound real cool. there are a few vintage boat shows on the lake every yr . a bud had a shop restoring and selling them for about 10 yrs so I have gotten to ride in a few dozen . you have to have real deep pockets to have some of those . Christ most of the mecanical parts have to be hand made in the shop  you can have 500 bucks in some little cover or a grand in a 1 off motor mount . you never see that money again . but you do get the looks when pushing h20 in one . 

I spent a lot of time in small bush planes as a kid in the summers . I honestly dont think most of my dads buddy's even had a license to fly just grandfathered in or saying fuck it . some crazy shit when I look back good thing I was a kid because you could not pay me to re live some of that stuff as a adult .  

On 8/18/2017 at 5:39 PM, bussman said:

You know that goofy looking fucker in Mad Max that flew that gyrocopter?

That's how I'm picturing Bhen now. 

Haahaaahaaaha!!!!

i'am thinking more like the boozed up crop duster pilot in Independence Day:dunno: