I got it bad!!!!!11

I've been spending every minute obsessing over flying. I went to a really cool air museum last week with my family and just loved all the stuff there. The radial engines were my favorite. I'm hopefully getting to fly for the first time sunday or monday. I plan to knock out 3-4 hours per month and try to get my PPL in 12 months. Then I'll start working on my instrument rating. I plan to start a kit build late spring of 2018 and have my options narrowed down to a few planes. I'll post more about that shit later. Enjoy these amazing pics of awesome engines

20170812_115810.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, bussman said:

Seeing as every mechanical device you've ever operated has been totated do you think flying is the best idea?

that is not true and yes , flying is going to be swell

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Cool stuff Ben.  Flying is a lot of fun.   It will delay retirement a few decades but it's a lot of fun none the less.  

I cant wait , i think I'll be starting in a 152 in the next few days. Moving up to a 180. I plan to build a tail-wheel so after some hours in the trainers I will seek out a tail-wheel to start logging hours in.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

that is not true and yes , flying is going to be swell

My grandfather was a pilot and engineer for CW in Ohio during the war and his claim to fame was successfully redesigning the faulty tail of the SB2C Navy Helldiver. It came to at the end of the war though. He flew until he was 92. :bc: 

6 minutes ago, bussman said:

My grandfather was a pilot and engineer for CW in Ohio during the war and his claim to fame was successfully redesigning the faulty tail of the SB2C Navy Helldiver. It came to at the end of the war though. He flew until he was 92. :bc: 

You ever go up with him or were you skeered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

Do it Ben its fun! I have my solo certificate or used to but I never finished. One of these days Im going to get my ppl tho. :bc:

Its an awesome time to get into aviation. Especially the experimental end of it. The info you can get in a cockpit with a adsb in-out setup and a couple ipads would have cost you 25k just a few years ago , now its 3k. A fucking Ipad and varying apps can instantly figure out thei on your  closest airport , if you can glide to it in an engine out scenario , take over the AP via wifi and fly the plane all the way in if you desire. There is some awesome tech coming out almost daily it seems. The FAA is a fucking dinosaur and just drains the money out of anyone flying a certified AC. Engine tech is starting to get there too. I love the viking engines , aeromomentum looks very nice too. Or at the very least in the EAB you can go ahead and slap an SDS efi on your io-540 and not have to deal with 80 year old tech and carb icing and all the inefficient bullshit that the FAA wants to make you keep !!!!!!!!!!11

3 minutes ago, bussman said:

First time I was ever in the air was with him. I was around 8. :bc: 

awesome , I bet he lost 25 knots when you stuck your head out the window !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

Flying is expensive even if you own your own aircraft :) 

I sure as shit can be , but if you build yourself and register as an experimental you can get your repairmens certificate and perform your own annuals. That knocks out a ton of cost. 

I will be powering whatever I build with an engine that can burn mogas. I'd like to think I can fly XC in the right rig getting better mileage than most SUV's

Insurance will suck until I get some hours in but whatever , throw in hanger fees which are cheap around here , about $200 per month for a t-hanger

I figure I'll be flying back to MN twice a month or about 150 hours a year or so , when I move back to MN the plane will get floats and my mission will change !1

One of my HS buds used to fly his dad's plane. I went up with him once. It was a couple million dollar plane though, real nice. I think it was a Cessna.

15 minutes ago, Edmo said:

One of my HS buds used to fly his dad's plane. I went up with him once. It was a couple million dollar plane though, real nice. I think it was a Cessna.

Is there such thing as a couple million dollar cessna that isnt a jet?