School Registration

All,

My kids registered for school and something I noticed was that if you signed up for "free or reduced lunches" you got 10 dollars off registration....

1.  Why would they do this?

2.  I can only imagine how they use this information to see how many families actually need "free or reduced lunches" when they come up with stats so more funding can be allocated for this program.

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

All,

My kids registered for school and something I noticed was that if you signed up for "free or reduced lunches" you got 10 dollars off registration....

2.  I can only imagine how they use this information to see how many families actually need "free or reduced lunches" when they come up with stats so more funding can be allocated for this program.

Well, I guess they assume if your child needs free lunches, maybe you need a break on registration fees.  Here's the real question....why are you getting charged a "registration fee" for public schools!!!!?????

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, racer254 said:

All,

correct, but there are kids who have parents that cant afford and some are just shitty parents..Its justified if you ask me.. All last year my daughter would share her lunch with her friend kaylie..Her mom works 2 jobs has 2 girls, and a deadbeat husband who plays on a computer all day refuses to work.. So I always would pack her an XL lunch..Sad what some of there kids are forced to live with. Her friend Kaylie comes over all the time, we take her on trips with us..Her mom is very appreciative..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Well, I guess they assume if your child needs free lunches, maybe you need a break on registration fees.  Here's the real question....why are you getting charged a "registration fee" for public schools!!!!?????

Good question and it varies from school to school around here.  Another school close by was charging 25, but they were waiving the fee if you filled free & reduced lunch application.   Why the incentive for doing that?  Are schools making up this money from somewhere?

For my kids it was $70 to register but you can get $10 off just for filling out free & reduced lunch application.  

Just now, Rigid1 said:

correct, but there are kids who have parents that cant afford and some are just shitty parents..Its justified if you ask me.. All last year my daughter would share her lunch with her friend kaylie..Her mom works 2 jobs has 2 girls, and a deadbeat husband who plays on a computer all day refuses to work.. So I always would pack her an XL lunch..Sad what some of there kids are forced to live with. Her friend Kaylie comes over all the time, we take her on trips with us..Her mom is very appreciative..

My daughter has a friend with loser parents also.  She just got emancipated last year and moved out into an apartment with some college kids that share rent.  She was 16!!!!!  Her father is a loser and mother is some crack head.  I go and help her out when she needs an adult in her life...like her father should be.  Fixed a main water leak she broke a few weeks ago.  I feel so sorry for her.  It's gonna be a tough run in the school of hard knocks..but I gotta be honest, she'll be better without her loser parents that still haven't learned anything.  

Just now, racer254 said:

Good question and it varies from school to school around here.  Another school close by was charging 25, but they were waiving the fee if you filled free & reduced lunch application.   Why the incentive for doing that?  Are schools making up this money from somewhere?

For my kids it was $70 to register but you can get $10 off just for filling out free & reduced lunch application.  

for a public school?? and every year you have to pay that?? I think i had to pay $25 when they went to kindergarten, but nothing since.. Even all their school sports are free

Just now, Zambroski said:

My daughter has a friend with loser parents also.  She just got emancipated last year and moved out into an apartment with some college kids that share rent.  She was 16!!!!!  Her father is a loser and mother is some crack head.  I go and help her out when she needs an adult in her life...like her father should be.  Fixed a main water leak she broke a few weeks ago.  I feel so sorry for her.  It's gonna be a tough run in the school of hard knocks..but I gotta be honest, she'll be better without her loser parents that still haven't learned anything.  

It is sad, My daughters friend is a sweetheart, super polite, yes please, thank you, ect.. i have talked with her mom about ditching the loser, she just wont leave him..Her and the kids would have a better life and he would be forced to work.. sad what people think they have to put up with, but I was there once..

The schools around here charge a lot to sign up. I think it was 350 per kid. I was shocked at first but we're  used to it now. If you make less than like 28k a year you pay nothing. I have no issue with that.

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

for a public school?? and every year you have to pay that?? I think i had to pay $25 when they went to kindergarten, but nothing since.. Even all their school sports are free

Yep, 70 for registration, middle school and HS sports fees, as well as a few other miscellaneous fees. 

Just now, racer254 said:

Yep, 70 for registration, middle school and HS sports fees, as well as a few other miscellaneous fees. 

Its actually against the law here for a public school to charge a sports fee. But then again we do pay crazy high taxes, like stupid crazy high

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

All,

Paying to register for school? :wtf: 

School lunches?  Whatever happened to taking your lunch to School?  I assume Farmer's kid is small since he still

plays with toys. 

13 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Paying to register for school? :wtf: 

School lunches?  Whatever happened to taking your lunch to School?  I assume Farmer's kid is small since he still

plays with toys. 

I think its pretty common in USA to buy your lunch daily

11 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Depends on the kid. One of mine likes to eat the school lunch, one insists on bringing theirs. 

Both of them have bought lunches for a friend at times that didn't bring one and have no money to buy one.

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

Depends on the kid. One of mine likes to eat the school lunch, one insists on bringing theirs. 

Both of them have bought lunches for a friend at times that didn't bring one and have no money to buy one.

What about Elementary school?  I don't think any have a cafe' up here.

Rural areas are grades 1-8 in one school and they don't have a cafe' either.

High school is different I would guess 50/50

14 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

What about Elementary school?  I don't think any have a cafe' up here.

Rural areas are grades 1-8 in one school and they don't have a cafe' either.

High school is different I would guess 50/50

Urban elementary are k-8 mostly too. None with a cafeteria that I know of. 

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

In some places like your city are, but most in Toronto are 1-5 or 1-6 depending on the area as some have middle schools and some have junior highs

And absolutely no cost to register at any public school in Canada -  fuck kids are supplied with i-pads now

44 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I have been making my kids their lunches everyday for years and years. I enjoy it, make them some pretty cool and healthy stuff..:yum:

But I am one kick ass Dad..

:true:

23 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

They cook everything at one school here and ship it out to the elementary schools. Some kids show up with nothing to eat and no money. Yeah their parents are fucked but the kid has to eat to be in a position to learn. Some of these schools even serve breakfast. 

4 hours ago, Edmo said:

They cook everything at one school here and ship it out to the elementary schools. Some kids show up with nothing to eat and no money. Yeah their parents are fucked but the kid has to eat to be in a position to learn. Some of these schools even serve breakfast. 

Some schools have breakfast program for needy kids. But they are funded by donations. My kid's school has one but they aren't allowed to use it. 

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Some schools have breakfast program for needy kids. But they are funded by donations. My kid's school has one but they aren't allowed to use it. 

Yes you have to qualify based on income. But they will not turn anyone away if you're hungry here, and don't have money to pay.

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Yes you have to qualify based on income. But they will not turn anyone away if you're hungry here, and don't have money to pay.

I should clarify. Everyone is eligible for our breakfast program. But it is designed for those in need or those with parents who don't insure their kids have a full tummy. Our kids are "not allowed" because we don't allow them to use it. They aren't in need and shouldn't be taking food from there. They can just eat more at home. 

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I should clarify. Everyone is eligible for our breakfast program. But it is designed for those in need or those with parents who don't insure their kids have a full tummy. Our kids are "not allowed" because we don't allow them to use it. They aren't in need and shouldn't be taking food from there. They can just eat more at home. 

Gotcha :bc: 

SMH no reg fees or sports fees for public schools here.  I would have no issue with sports fees but a reg fee to o to publci schools outrageous.  

I think if they qualify for free lunch they definitely should pay nothing,  as much as I know the programs abused there are many kids who really need it so I'll live with some waste.  Too bad theres no way to really take care of the kids without benefiting the shithead parents.  

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

SMH no reg fees or sports fees for public schools here.  I would have no issue with sports fees but a reg fee to o to publci schools outrageous.  

Our schools are fantastic so I can't bitch too much. I never even mentioned all the other fees. Sports fee. Parking fee. The list is long. A couple more years and I'll be out of this liberal shithole we call home. :lol: