Weed killer

I made up a homegrown weed killer that I checked out on Google. 4ltrs of vinegar, 1 cup of salt and a cple tblsp of dish soap. I mixed it in a garden sprayer and sprayed a few weeds. They've gone from green to brown overnight and now that I see it's working I'm going to respray them and the rest will get a dble dose.

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading something wayyyyy back in high school about Rachel Carlson (a noted friend of the planet) making a weed killer that was made up of soap. This was before people saw the issues w/ herbicides.

Edited by revrnd

I've used the vinegar/salt for the last couple of years. It works good when weeds are between interlocking stones. Other areas not so good, the problem is it leaves the salt in the ground and nothing will grow there for quite some time. I still buy Roundup and it doesn't leave residue so I can reseed the areas I've killed a short time later. Just my 2 cents, something you may want to consider.

57 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

I've used the vinegar/salt for the last couple of years. It works good when weeds are between interlocking stones. Other areas not so good, the problem is it leaves the salt in the ground and nothing will grow there for quite some time. I still buy Roundup and it doesn't leave residue so I can reseed the areas I've killed a short time later. Just my 2 cents, something you may want to consider.

I'm using it between the concrete slabs and the gravel driveway

4 hours ago, smokin george said:

I made up a homegrown weed killer that I checked out on Google. 4ltrs of vinegar, 1 cup of salt and a cple tblsp of dish soap. I mixed it in a garden sprayer and sprayed a few weeds. They've gone from green to brown overnight and now that I see it's working I'm going to respray them and the rest will get a dble dose.

If you are just doing patios/interlock and the like there is no need for the salt (Epsom is the preferred salt but is also unnecessary) all you need is the soap and vinegar.

The soap allows the vinegar to stick and that's it's only purpose. The vinegar is what kills the weed. 

Just wish there was a natural solution that wouldn't kill the lawn/grass. Most lawns in my hood are covered in weeds and they get worse by the day! 

If I had of remembered, and if it was available, I would have grabbed some weed n feed or Killex when I was in Buffalo a couple years ago!

Fyi roundup was originally discovered by a soap company throwing failed products out the back door onto the grass yard.

And the shit they sell is stores is so watered down for what they charge it's a joke. Pure roundup in bulk is 6.50 a litre...

(Ps farmers can still buy lawn spray if they have a valid pesticides license. (Anyone with a commercial sized sprayer))

Edited by Glenn in Caledon

Yep, gas is the best.  Smells for a day or so.  The vinegar thing doesn't always work, either.  Have tried it. 

Just picked up a bunch of selective weed killer on a trip to Buffalo.  Still no issues at the border.  Guy only asked why I had so much of it...... Lol.  Still cheap over there too.  $8 a bottle. 

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Esso supreme works well:ashamed:

Yep, so can golf courses.  That's why the entire ban is a crock of shit. 

1 hour ago, Glenn in Caledon said:

Fyi roundup was originally discovered by a soap company throwing failed products out the back door onto the grass yard.

And the shit they sell is stores is so watered down for what they charge it's a joke. Pure roundup in bulk is 6.50 a litre...

(Ps farmers can still buy lawn spray if they have a valid pesticides license. (Anyone with a commercial sized sprayer))

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yep, gas is the best.  Smells for a day or so.  The vinegar thing doesn't always work, either.  Have tried it. 

Just picked up a bunch of selective weed killer on a trip to Buffalo.  Still no issues at the border.  Guy only asked why I had so much of it...... Lol.  Still cheap over there too.  $8 a bottle. 

Gas works good, so does paint thinner/mineral spirits.

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2017 at 11:42 AM, snowbear said:

was 50 bucks for a 1 liter concentrate. 20 bucks to ship. I will be using it wisely. 

Thanks Snowbear. That is pricey, but I'm at the point where I have no choice!

I appreciate the info. :bc:

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:38 AM, Puzzleboy said:

Golf courses have to document when/where/amounts they spray and are checked annually. Sure they can fudge the numbers, but not drastically fyi. The ban is a crock of shit because the government has no means of enforcing the ban imo.

On 8/1/2017 at 0:38 AM, Puzzleboy said:

That is there business, weeds would kill a course

same reason a sod company can use weed killers

Weed killer was banned from public parks over 30 years ago

You completely missed the point.  If golf courses can still use it and poison the water table, it can't really be that bad, right?  They could hire people or employ prisoners and welfare bums to pull weeds.  They don't "need" weedkiller any more than I do.  Are golf courses a staple of society?  Lol

Using your rationale, toxic waste should still be allowed to be dumped into the lake by industry because hey, that's business. 

Like I said, the entire ban is a crock of shit.  More people are suffering from weed allergens, than anybody ever was from the miniscule amount of weed killer that got into the water.  Kinda like DDT.

At least our brothers to the south still make it available to Canadians.  :)

9 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

That is there business, weeds would kill a course

same reason a sod company can use weed killers

Weed killer was banned from public parks over 30 years ago

39 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

You completely missed the point.  If golf courses can still use it and poison the water table, it can't really be that bad, right?  They could hire people or employ prisoners and welfare bums to pull weeds.  They don't "need" weedkiller any more than I do.  Are golf courses a staple of society?  Lol

Using your rationale, toxic waste should still be allowed to be dumped into the lake by industry because hey, that's business. 

Like I said, the entire ban is a crock of shit.  More people are suffering from weed allergens, than anybody ever was from the miniscule amount of weed killer that got into the water.  Kinda like DDT.

I AGREE is a crook

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, Puzzleboy said:

You are correct that it is a crock of shit, but golf courses have trained personal who know how to properly apply pesticides and herbicides. If a spill or accident would happen, they have the knowledge on how to deal with the situation. Most home owners can't even properly calculate the amount of herbicide/water ratio required to treat the acreage that they don't even know what it is? Also, golf courses would become extinct without the use of herbicides and pesticides fyi. I would be more worried about the vegetables you eat grown at hwy 9 and 400!!!!:stoned:

On 9/8/2017 at 9:23 PM, Puzzleboy said:

Easy, get rid of golf courses.  They're gay anyways.