Bee identification?

From an ant problem to now having bees in my shed!

We have a very similar looking nest in our shed. They are getting through a very small crack/hole and the nest is getting bigger by the day. I seen this nest a while ago but I thought it was dormant as we seen no bees and no activity, but that has all changed.

I don't want to kill them if I can help it and especially if they are honey bees but I need to know what kind they are first?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Bees nest.jpg

Looking like Yellow Jackets. Hate to kill them even though they are not honey bees but I see no other option?

Our's is a smaller version of this but I know it will eventually get this big or bigger.

yellowjacketnest.png

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

They are not honey bees. Look like wasps

Yellow Jackets, I believe, Maincat? The nest is very similar, only our's is smaller, so far.

I guess the spray comes out tonight? 

Edited by irv

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Yellow Jackets, I believe, Maincat? The nest is very similar, only our's is smaller, so far.

I guess the spray comes out tonight? 

Use brake parts cleaner.  Works way better 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Use brake parts cleaner.  Works way better 

I have Wasp and Hornet foam spray, which I assume would also work, but I forgot about the Brake Cleaner option so maybe I'll give a try instead?

Thanks, I appreciate the help. :bc:

2 minutes ago, irv said:

I have Wasp and Hornet foam spray, which I assume would also work, but I forgot about the Brake Cleaner option so maybe I'll give a try instead?

Thanks, I appreciate the help. :bc:

I've used the foam as well, doesn't work anywhere near as good or as fast as brake cleaner 

:bc:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I've used the foam as well, doesn't work anywhere near as good or as fast as brake cleaner 

:bc:

Good to know!

Thanks again! :bc:

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I just hose'em good with water til the best is gone.  They'll move on.  Usually goes off without a problem.  Usually.  

Bees and nest were inside my shed in the rafters but were using a small hole/slot to come and go. I just came in from blasting them. The brake clean tube/hose was tough to get into the small opening and to be honest, I couldn't really tell if I was in the right one? I sprayed the hell out of them with brake clean then went in the shed and the nest was buzzing! A few were outside the nest not really paying much attention to me so I sprayed them and the nest down with the foam. The nest was still buzzing so through the foam I poked a hole in the nest and blasted some more. That did the trick! The nest started breaking apart and the combs with the larvae starting falling to the floor. This nest had the makings, going by the amount of combs and larvae, to turn into a big one! Glad to say I caught when I did before someone got stung bad! 

Pretty cool looking nests these sucker build.

Edited by irv

4 minutes ago, irv said:

Bees and nest were inside my shed in the rafters but were using a small hole/slot to come and go. I just came in from blasting them. The hose was tough to get into the small opening and to be honest, I couldn't really tell if I was in the right one? I sprayed the hell out of them with brake clean then went in the shed and the nest was buzzing! A few were outside the nest not really paying much attention to me so I sprayed them and the nest down with the foam. The nest was still buzzing so through the foam I poked a hole in the nest and blasted some more. That did the trick! The nest started breaking apart and the combs with the larvae starting falling to the floor. This nest had the makings, going by the amount of combs and larvae, to turn into a big one! Glad to say I caught when I did before someone got stung bad! 

Gotta kill the queen or they will rebuild.

5 minutes ago, FAT DAVE said:

Gotta kill the queen or they will rebuild.

They're all gone. Not a buzz anywhere and the nest is destroyed. 

Edited by irv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I just hose'em good with water til the best is gone.  They'll move on.  Usually goes off without a problem.  Usually.  

Ive used my hp sprayer....blows the shit out of the nest.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Use that white powder ant killer, rubber glove, toss a hand full at the nest, all the bees will carry it in and kill the Queen and everything in the hive.

11 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

What did you use? 

Brake clean then the bee killer foam. I detailed it above.