Bee identification?

irv

From an ant problem to now having bees in my shed!

We have a very similar looking nest in our shed. They are getting through a very small crack/hole and the nest is getting bigger by the day. I seen this nest a while ago but I thought it was dormant as we seen no bees and no activity, but that has all changed.

I don't want to kill them if I can help it and especially if they are honey bees but I need to know what kind they are first?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Bees nest.jpg

Looking like Yellow Jackets. (pic of yellow jacket nest) Hate to kill them even though they are not honey bees but I see no other option?

Our's is a smaller version of this but I know it will eventually get this big or bigger.

yellowjacketnest.png

56 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

The kind that sting.  Kill 'em. 

Bees and nest were inside my shed in the rafters but were using a small hole/slot to come and go. I just came in from blasting them. The hose on the brake clean can was tough to get into the small opening and to be honest, I couldn't really tell if I was in the right one? I sprayed the hell out of them with brake clean then went in the shed and the nest was buzzing! A few were outside the nest not really paying much attention to me so I sprayed them and the nest down with the foam. The nest was still buzzing so through the foam I poked a hole in the nest and blasted some more. That did the trick! The nest started breaking apart and the combs with the larvae starting falling to the floor. This nest had the makings, going by the amount of combs and larvae, to turn into a big one! Glad to say I caught it when I did before someone got stung bad! 

We had a problem with yellow jackets and black wasps a couple of years ago.We called an exterminator and he took out five nests. We bought the imitation nests at crappy tire and hang them on the porch and back of the house and they keep the wasps away

2 hours ago, smokin george said:

We had a problem with yellow jackets and black wasps a couple of years ago.We called an exterminator and he took out five nests. We bought the imitation nests at crappy tire and hang them on the porch and back of the house and they keep the wasps away

I think those will be on the agenda, George. Every year we seem to have something going on around here with pests. The one end of the shed I have Mason bees. Those sukers are huge but non predatory/friendlier. They bore holes in my 1 by 2 fascia and lay eggs in there. I researched and they come back every year so I have to get rid of them while I still have a shed standing. I know I'm way late, but happy belated Birthday! 

9 hours ago, irv said:

I think those will be on the agenda, George. Every year we seem to have something going on around here with pests. The one end of the shed I have Mason bees. Those sukers are huge but non predatory/friendlier. They bore holes in my 1 by 2 fascia and lay eggs in there. I researched and they come back every year so I have to get rid of them while I still have a shed standing. I know I'm way late, but happy belated Birthday! 

Thanks Dale! It's amazing how the phony nests keep them away.

6 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Just convince the bees that Muslims have moved in next door.  They'll set up shop elsewhere..... works in most neighbourhoods. 

We only have WASPS in our area and without a bus route were safe for now

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 9:18 PM, Jschuess22 said:

I am finding bees all over my bedroom and have no idea what type they are. Can someone identify this bee/wasp for me? I took a picture... Thank you so much.

IMG_3415.pdf

IMG_3416.pdf

Hard to tell with your pics, but are they on the large size? If so, I'd say they are Mason bees? Might want to figure out how they are getting in, quick, as they bore holes and lay their eggs in those holes. 

Good luck, and welcome to the site.