Stepgate

8 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

you love spending other people money :lmao: 

how about walk around to the entrance that has been there for decades?

Come on Fail, when the fuck do we get this kind of efficency from the city.  I'm sure them thinking about it and commitees to study it would have cost 6 times more than just getting it done.

#winning.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Come on Fail, when the fuck do we get this kind of efficency from the city.  I'm sure them thinking about it and commitees to study it would have cost 6 times more than just getting it done.

#winning.

Sergio - I know it was speeded up since they had to tear down the horrible job the old man did before someone got hurt, so they built the stairs.   I agree it was done quickly and I am sure they had zero intention of ever building a stair there.  That is why when the old man called, someone said 65k can't do it.  I can guarantee there was never a tender on the job that said 65k to 150k

reminds me of the guy that was calling about speeders on his street, he took matter into his own hands and put in huge speed bumps which ended up killing a driver.   Of course many here support doing any work you wish to do on city property.  For the most part I don't support it.

Stairs look great now as we can agree

10 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Sergio - I know it was speeded up since they had to tear down the horrible job the old man did before someone got hurt, so they built the stairs.   I agree it was done quickly and I am sure they had zero intention of ever building a stair there.  That is why when the old man called, someone said 65k can't do it.  I can guarantee there was never a tender on the job that said 65k to 150k

reminds me of the guy that was calling about speeders on his street, he took matter into his own hands and put in huge speed bumps which ended up killing a driver.   Of course many here support doing any work you wish to do on city property.  For the most part I don't support it.

Stairs look great now as we can agree

No i don't encourage people taking matters into their owns hands and agree the existing entrance was more than adequate.  I do have to tip my hat to the old guy though, who got a wrench into the system and was able to pry out a resolution in record time.  We have to give him that.  I also never thought he wanted to see his stairs still in place a week after he built them.

Edit

Stairs look good.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

No i don't encourage people taking matters into their owns hands and agree the existing entrance was more than adequate.  I do have to tip my hat to the old guy though, who got a wrench into the system and was able to pry out a resolution in record time.  We have to give him that.  I also never thought he wanted to see his stairs still in place a week after he built them.

Edit

Stairs look good.

yes it did  work out well for him,  I hope this isn't the start of "do what you want and the city will act on it"  this type of trend can have a bad outcome.

I also hope that people don't get the idea that stairs can be built for 550$ on city property

• Platinum Contributing Member

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Raise a stink in the media and the city is forced to act.

The old guys stairs were terrible.

No fucking way the city is building those new stairs for for $10,000. They aren't capabilbe of that kind of efficiency. 

Those are Grande wall stones at $40 a piece and I count 36 in the video that I see.With delivery that's $2000.

2 excavators and a Dump truck in the video. 3x $100/hr x 8 hr day = $2400 per day.

Fill charges, temp fence, backfill materials, and labour at city rates. Then clean up and a handrail to meet code.

lol

If they spend a week at it they will be $20,000 but we will never hear about that.

27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Raise a stink in the media and the city is forced to act.

The old guys stairs were terrible.

No fucking way the city is building those new stairs for for $10,000. They aren't capabilbe of that kind of efficiency. 

Those are Grande wall stones at $40 a piece and I count 36 in the video that I see.With delivery that's $2000.

2 excavators and a Dump truck in the video. 3x $100/hr x 8 hr day = $2400 per day.

Fill charges, temp fence, backfill materials, and labour at city rates. Then clean up and a handrail to meet code.

lol

If they spend a week at it they will be $20,000 but we will never hear about that.

Still better than the 65 Gs+ that started the whole exercise :whistle:

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Still better than the 65 Gs+ that started the whole exercise :whistle:

I'm with Trail. That was just a number to shove the old man out the door.

30 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

You okay?  pretty active in your area overnight

Vaughan?  Parry Sound?  Bought a generator last time i was up.  Hydro one did an amazing job restoring power from the last carnage.  Heading up in the morning.

30 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Vaughan?  Parry Sound?  Bought a generator last time i was up.  Hydro one did an amazing job restoring power from the last carnage.  Heading up in the morning.

lol At home,  I was referring to the HITs going on by the non existing mob :lmao:

I find Hydro1 is very good at repairs for the most part, quick even in rural areas

Edited by 1trailmaker

41 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

lol At home,  I was referring to the HITs going on by the non existing mob :lmao:

I find Hydro1 is very good at repairs for the most part, quick even in rural areas

Fucking lol.

Heard about it.

What's the bad outcome, exactly?  We're not talking suspension bridges here.....I think the old guy might be on to something.  Remember, your union brothers who were fielding his initial request for stairs did fuck all about it, except provide another likely unionized quote for 65-100k.  Had he not done something, and got it on the 6:00 news, fuck all would still be done about it.  Tory had it done in 2 days.  Now that's efficiency. 

Problem is, workplaces like yours are so full of bureaucratic nonsense, that nothing gets done. 

On 2017-07-27 at 5:24 PM, 1trailmaker said:

yes it did  work out well for him,  I hope this isn't the start of "do what you want and the city will act on it"  this type of trend can have a bad outcome.

I also hope that people don't get the idea that stairs can be built for 550$ on city property

24 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

What's the bad outcome, exactly?  We're not talking suspension bridges here.....I think the old guy might be on to something.  Remember, your union brothers who were fielding his initial request for stairs did fuck all about it, except provide another likely unionized quote for 65-100k.  Had he not done something, and got it on the 6:00 news, fuck all would still be done about it.  Tory had it done in 2 days.  Now that's efficiency. 

Problem is, workplaces like yours are so full of bureaucratic nonsense, that nothing gets done. 

so your suggestion is for the City of Toronto to act and do all requests?  :lmao:

Oh Union boys have nothing to do with  tenders, nor is the actual Union' involved in any aspect of the job. 

Well, they certainly need to address requests regarding public safety via access to parkland. 

Please.  The union affords them inaction, at every level. 

Of course, Fail would be the one exception - a hard working, non drug-using, focused, educated, municipal unionized employee, who doesn't use corporate networks to surf snowmobiling websites.....

Edited by Puzzleboy

• 2 weeks later...

Boy - you don't have any clue how things work so stop pretending you do.   TENDERS do not go to any union member PERIOD.  Try some research first

Puzzle's stair case hero is now costing Toronto 100's thousand as Toronto looks to replace more stairs.  Just saw one project on the News (will try to find link), I believe it was 85 steps down.

You get what you ask for Puzzle

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

Boy - you don't have any clue how things work so stop pretending you do.   TENDERS do not go to any union member PERIOD.  Try some research first

Puzzle's stair case hero is now costing Toronto 100's thousand as Toronto looks to replace more stairs.  Just saw one project on the News (will try to find link), I believe it was 85 steps down.

Jobs, jobs, jobs.

How is it costing the city more money?  If the guy gave visibility to other safety issues, so be it.  He did not create them. 

On 8/11/2017 at 6:15 PM, 1trailmaker said:

• 3 months later...