Stepgate

Like there isn't a gravy train problem.

Man builds park stairs for $500 when city got quotes for 65K - 150K.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/20/canadian-man-builds-park-stairs-for-550-even-though-city-said-project-would-cost-65g.html

23 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/20/canadian-man-builds-park-stairs-for-550-even-though-city-said-project-would-cost-65g.html

Yes but Tory says they need to be properly engineered and also be suited for handicap access, even though there was nothing but mud before. He did admit the estimate MAY have been a little high... reminds me of the $500 pencil sharpener install for the school board.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Looking at the job from the picture sure looks unsafe and poorly built - no doubt contractors come in  high, this is very common.   But lets not try to compare the 2 jobs as I am sure buddy didn't put in footings or other things needed to be at code.......

I hope the old dude knows he can be held responsible for any injury that occurs

10 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Looking at the job from the picture sure looks unsafe and poorly built - no doubt contractors come in  high, this is very common.   But lets not try to compare the 2 jobs as I am sure buddy didn't put in footings or other things needed to be at code.......

I hope the old dude knows he can be held responsible for any injury that occurs

It's eight steps.  :lol:

Was the city being held accountable for not providing the steps in the first place?  Fucking scumbag lawyers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

8 steps built poorly

Cheat path?

DFHzexRXsAAid54.jpg

OK, you justifying $65K the city was prepared to blow on this?

On the bold, it certainly looks like it.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

OK, you justifying $65K the city was prepared to blow on this?

I have no idea what the plan entails.....  Dangerous probably wasn't in the plan.

I would assume medal of some kind and poured concrete 

wood rails are not allowed

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I have no idea what the plan entails.....  Dangerous probably wasn't in the plan.

I would assume medal of some kind and poured concrete 

wood rails are not allowed

It's a rail and deck kit from Home Depot.  

Sure it's not up to acceptable standards but it's functional and there is no way this should have cost more than 5-10K.  That is the point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's a rail and deck kit from Home Depot.  

Sure it's not up to acceptable standards but it's functional and there is no way this should have cost more than 5-10K.  That is the point.

That is not a kit, its pieces put together.  Railing in the pick is a finger breaker with all the stops you hit.  There is nothing legal about that build

LIke I said I have no idea what was going to be built - but ya its most likely over priced

One big rain and that is gone, look at the boxes he tried to make :lmao:  typical old guy that thinks he can build stuff

4 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

That is not a kit, its pieces put together.  Railing in the pick is a finger breaker with all the stops you hit.  There is nothing legal about that build

LIke I said I have no idea what was going to be built - but ya its most likely over priced

One big rain and that is gone, look at the boxes he tried to make :lmao:  typical old guy that thinks he can build stuff

Probably, but he made his point and that was likely all he was trying to accomplish.  City get your house in order.

Robbie must have turned a bit today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

Fail, you got one part of your statements right!

"You have no idea what was going on"

Thank you for clarifying 

11 minutes ago, Thinksno said:

65 grand is a budget where the city needs money on another project.  I do admire the intentions of the builder but the reality is they are poor . 

I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, Thinksno said:

On what?  

65K on this is insane anyway you look at it, the little guy exposed some of the BS happenings and I'm sure that was his overall intention.

I would shut my business down before I ever had to compete in the whores market these contractors do.

17 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

65K on this is insane anyway you look at it, the little guy exposed some of the BS happenings and I'm sure that was his overall intention.

I would shut my business down before I ever had to compete in the whores market these contractors do.

No contractors. Own forces and money is for other programs. $65 gs for geotech,  design and construction. No way, money left to pay for other projects that went over budget

5 minutes ago, Thinksno said:

No contractors. Own forces and money is for other programs. $65 gs for geotech,  design and construction. No way, money left to pay for other projects that went over budget

Have you actually quoted any government projects?  

3 hours ago, Thinksno said:

65 grand is a budget where the city needs money on another project.  I do admire the intentions of the builder but the reality is they are poor . 

I get the guy's point but look @ how close the risers are. I'm not a carpenter, but I'm pretty sure they should've been closer the the ends of the treads.

https://lowerdontrail.wordpress.com/

This project was supposed to be finished before the cycling season started this year. The job has been a complete clusterfuck. The 'trail' needs paving & landscaping isn't done. Now they find buried cable & have to deal w/ that before it's opened. On and BTW, the rail line in question is not active so it's not like they're dealing w/ passing trains during working hours.

Edited by revrnd

33 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I get the guy's point but look @ how close the risers are. I'm not a carpenter, but I'm pretty sure they should've been closer the the ends of the treads.

https://lowerdontrail.wordpress.com/

This project was supposed to be finished before the cycling season started this year. The job has been a complete clusterfuck. The 'trail' needs paving & landscaping isn't done. Now they find buried cable & have to deal w/ that before it's opened. On and BTW, the rail line in question is not active so it's not like they're dealing w/ passing trains during working hours.

I called the old guy that made the stairs and he has started his own underpass, but he says once he is finished he will whip over there to Belleville and finish the project up for under a 1000$

419D58CA00000578-4625900-image-a-3_14980