GOP Lawmaker: Allegations Against Jane Sanders Were ‘Hearsay’

GOP Lawmaker: Allegations Against Jane Sanders Were ‘Hearsay’

Vermont House Rep. Don Turner confirmed he was the source for allegations by President Donald Trump's state campaign chair.

Jul 8th, 2017

In July 2017, a top Republican state lawmaker in Vermont confirmed that he was the source for allegations of impropriety concerning both Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) and his wife Jane O’Meara Sanders, but added that he did not realize that the “hearsay” spurred a federal investigation.

The probe concerns allegations by state party vice-chair Brady Toensing to investigators that Sen. Sanders pressured a bank to approve an application for a $6.5 million loan his wife filed in 2010, when she was president of Burlington College. Toensig also accused O’Meara Sanders of loan fraud in January 2016, saying that she overstated the amount of donations the college received by $2 million while applying for the loan. The college closed in May 2016.

State House Minority Leader Don Turner admitted in an interview published on 30 June 2017 that Toensig’s allegations were based on a conversation with him in May 2016.

According to Turner, the allegations he related to Toensig were based on a conversation he had with three local bankers. But he described that conversation as “hearsay” and added, “There’s no way I’d file a complaint or anything like that.” He said that he could not identify the person who made the initial allegation about Sanders, and that he has not been contacted by investigators.

Toensig, who was also President Donald Trump’s campaign chairperson in Vermont, said in a statement that Turner approached him on 21 May 2016 saying that a former executive for People’s Bank had told him that Sanders’ office “had pressured the bank to make the loan and he felt it was improper.” Toensig also said:

At one point, I asked Mr. Turner if he would reconsider giving me the banker’s name and he said he would get back to me. When he got back to me he said he had checked with the other two people at the lunch and said he did not feel comfortable sharing the executive’s name because he did not want to get him involved.

Turner, though, said that none of the bankers he spoke to had “firsthand knowledge” of the loan in question, or whether the Democratic presidential candidate contacted the bank:

They said that they were aware or had heard that Bernie’s office had helped get that loan — and that was it. It was just a hearsay, general conversation.

Toensig’s statement, Turner said, was “a lot more pointed than anything I said based on a conversation.”

Sanders’ office did not respond to a request for comment as of press time. But he has called Toensig’s complaint “nonsense.” In an interview with CNN aired on 2 July 2017, he claimed that Turner “refuted” Toensig’s allegations.

Edited by Mainecat

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Anyone with a brain knew it was a mainstream smear campaign against the Sanders. They arent crooks and that scares those in Washington to death.

Not everyone is smart like we are Ben....lmao

Just address and explain where the $2.5 million in donations that were GUARANTEED to the banks, and that donors 'gifts' were not exaggerated and I'll believe it. :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The DNC FUCKED SANDERS OVER FOR THE 50TH FUCKIN TIME. PAY ATTENTION OLD MAN

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

And you still voted for Hillary.

Exactly.....but hey he's an independent....right? :lol:

16 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Exactly.....but hey he's an independent....right? :lol:

He didn't like Hillary at all, but he's pissed people voted for trump. Hmmmmm. :slapping:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snake said:

And you still voted for Hillary.

The MSM and the DNC stole the primaries from Sanders, it was infuriating, it was disheartening, it was complete and utter bullshit. I still voted for Hillary though. I'm still bitter about the DNC/MSM bullshit, I don't let my mainstream liberal friends forget about the fact that Bernie would be president right now if it wasn't for that. At the end of the day though, there was a despicable piece of shit we were trying to keep out of the Whitehouse, and thank fucking goodness he's really been too stupid to fuck shit up all that badly yet.

Just now, Wildboer said:

The MSM and the DNC stole the primaries from Sanders, it was infuriating, it was disheartening, it was complete and utter bullshit. I still voted for Hillary though. I'm still bitter about the DNC/MSM bullshit, I don't let my mainstream liberal friends forget about the fact that Bernie would be president right now if it wasn't for that. At the end of the day though, there was a despicable piece of shit we were trying to keep out of the Whitehouse, and thank fucking goodness he's really been too stupid to fuck shit up all that badly yet.

We certainly did keep that despicable piece of shit out of the WH despite your efforts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

We certainly did keep that despicable piece of shit out of the WH despite your efforts.

She really bothers you that much more than all the other career politicians in DC who are equally shady? Like explain why you guys hate her so much compared to everyone else in politics...

4 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

She really bothers you that much more than all the other career politicians in DC who are equally shady? Like explain why you guys hate her so much compared to everyone else in politics...

Did they run for President? Are they married to a creepy predator? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

That women, hilliary  is the complete and total glaring  package of what is wrong in our body of politics . Corrupt to her inner core of life on this earth.

• Like 3

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

Did they run for President? Are they married to a creepy predator? 

If you're worried about using political influence to enrich their family look no further than the Bush family, if you're worried about creepy predators there's one in the White House right now. Again, what makes Hillary worse than the other people who do the same shit in Washington?

Just now, hwytohell said:

That women, hilliary  is the complete and total glaring  package of what is wrong in our body of politics . Corrupt to her inner core of life on this earth.

Funny you mentioned her gender because WB is convinced she is disliked only because she is a woman.

3 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

If you're worried about using political influence to enrich their family look no further than the Bush family, if you're worried about creepy predators there's one in the White House right now. Again, what makes Hillary worse than the other people who do the same shit in Washington?

Who said I like any of them? Why are you bringing up The Bush Family? Seems to me we are discussing Sanders and Hillary.

Edited by Biggie Smails

2 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Who said I like any of them? Why are you bringing up The Bush Family? Seems to me we are discussing Sanders and Hillary.

I've basically resorted to guessing why you guys get more upset over Hillary than other politicians because none of you every actually explain the unique level of hatred she's stirred up amongst the right.

Just now, Wildboer said:

I've basically resorted to guessing why you guys get more upset over Hillary than other politicians because none of you every actually explain the unique level of hatred she's stirred up amongst the right.

Where have you been the last yr or so?

• Like 1