Sad day in my house. Well not for everyone.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Today will become the first day since 1997 that we have not been boat owners.   My wife and boys are not happy but I'm elated.   Like the saying goes the two happiest days of you life are the day you buy your first boat and sell your last. :lol:   We've went from open bow run abouts to twin engine performance boat to a cruiser.   Now I just have a couple of Jet Skis and they are on the chopping block next.    

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Today will become the first day since 1997 that we have not been boat owners.   My wife and boys are not happy but I'm elated.   Like the saying goes the two happiest days of you life are the day you buy your first boat and sell your last. :lol:   We've went from open bow run abouts to twin engine performance boat to a cruiser.   Now I just have a couple of Jet Skis and they are on the chopping block next.    

Boats are awesome, the problem is they're a lot of work. If you don't use them all the time it's just not worth it. I used to have a speedboat, pontoon, and jet ski. Yeah, I miss the boats some days but life is so much easier now with just the sleds to tinker with. :bc: 

I miss boating. I lived on a lake most of my life until I moved to VT 4 years ago. I have been thinking about getting a small Boston Whaler or something to haul to the local lakes. I'm within a mile of two public launches. The lake that really intrigues me is Lake Memphremagog. It's about a half hours drive from here.

Physical characteristics

The lake is 31 miles (50 km) long with 73 percent of the lake's surface area in Quebec, where it drains into the Magog River.[2] However, three-quarters of its watershed, 489 square miles (1,270 km2), is in Vermont. The total is 687 square miles (1,780 km2), with 198 square miles (510 km2) located in Quebec.[3] In Vermont, the lake lies in parts of the towns of Derby and Newport, in addition to the City of Newport, all in Orleans County. In Quebec, the lake lies in parts of Austin, Magog, Ogden, Potton, Saint-Benoît-du-Lac, and Stanstead Township, all in Memphrémagog Regional County Municipality. The lake occupies most of what the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources calls "Basin 17."[4] At the very south end of the lake, there is the South Bay, connected by the narrowest part of the lake.

The lake elevation is 682 feet (208 m). Both ends of the lake are fairly shallow, with depth ranges of 20 feet (6.1 m) to 30 feet (9.1 m). The lake bottom takes a dramatic drop in Canada, starting opposite Mount Owl's Head and continuing that way north to Gibraltar Point, where it starts to climb back to the shallows of the north end. Its maximum recorded depth of 351 feet (107 m) is located in Canada, opposite Jewett Point (at approximately 45.111621, -72.278491). The lake is the third deepest in Vermont.[5][6] It contains 20 islands. Province Island, the largest, is divided by the international border.[7] The lake is irregular in shape, and along its shores are several striking indentations, in some places low, and in some other parts high and rocky.[8] Along the western shore of the lake are several mountains, prominent among which are Owl's Head, Elephantis, and the Hog's Back.[9]

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

I miss boating. I lived on a lake most of my life until I moved to VT 4 years ago. I have been thinking about getting a small Boston Whaler or something to haul to the local lakes. I'm within a mile of two public launches. The lake that really intrigues me is Lake Memphremagog. It's about a half hours drive from here.

Physical characteristics

The lake is 31 miles (50 km) long with 73 percent of the lake's surface area in Quebec, where it drains into the Magog River.[2] However, three-quarters of its watershed, 489 square miles (1,270 km2), is in Vermont. The total is 687 square miles (1,780 km2), with 198 square miles (510 km2) located in Quebec.[3] In Vermont, the lake lies in parts of the towns of Derby and Newport, in addition to the City of Newport, all in Orleans County. In Quebec, the lake lies in parts of Austin, Magog, Ogden, Potton, Saint-Benoît-du-Lac, and Stanstead Township, all in Memphrémagog Regional County Municipality. The lake occupies most of what the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources calls "Basin 17."[4] At the very south end of the lake, there is the South Bay, connected by the narrowest part of the lake.

The lake elevation is 682 feet (208 m). Both ends of the lake are fairly shallow, with depth ranges of 20 feet (6.1 m) to 30 feet (9.1 m). The lake bottom takes a dramatic drop in Canada, starting opposite Mount Owl's Head and continuing that way north to Gibraltar Point, where it starts to climb back to the shallows of the north end. Its maximum recorded depth of 351 feet (107 m) is located in Canada, opposite Jewett Point (at approximately 45.111621, -72.278491). The lake is the third deepest in Vermont.[5][6] It contains 20 islands. Province Island, the largest, is divided by the international border.[7] The lake is irregular in shape, and along its shores are several striking indentations, in some places low, and in some other parts high and rocky.[8] Along the western shore of the lake are several mountains, prominent among which are Owl's Head, Elephantis, and the Hog's Back.[9]

Contains 1 drone:stirthepot:

congrats I have gone through the same but am now missing it,  at one point I had 2 boats and 2 jet skis, then i shed a couple boats and bough another then shed them all when i sold the house at the lake and simplified my life.    

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Congratulations...what are you going to do with the thousands of dollars and the many hours of upkeep every year?

I love other peoples boats

Edited by Mainecat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Congratulations...what are you going to do with the thousands of dollars and the many hours of upkeep every year?

Me too. 

I just bring my cooler.

We live in the Kawartha Lakes and plenty of lakes a very short distance from the house. The runabout is tied up at my buddies dock 15min from here. The tinney we use for daily fishing trips. Need to have something for the wknds and eventually retirement

20170520_145148.jpg

20170520_145145.jpg

Edited by smokin george
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 0:19 PM, Mainecat said:

Not sure.   God know's I don't need more sleds. :lol:   I got 3 of those I'm gonna dump this fall. 

4 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Some good rocking chairs on kijiji lol

If we don't buy another boat I'd like to start traveling more.   Most traveling I do is for work and to the same main locations.  I want to see the National Parks of Utah.   Visit Glacier (both sides) and drive up the coast of Cali all the way to the Canadian border thru Oregon and Washinton state.  One year of summer dock lease and winter storage would pay for a couple of those trips.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1