CNN can identify a random reddit user in minutes, and this is a problem

They could identify THIS user, there are plenty of active accounts they could never trace. This person made no attempt to cover their tracks, I'm pretty sure Russia is better at that.

20 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

They could identify THIS user, there are plenty of active accounts they could never trace. This person made no attempt to cover their tracks, I'm pretty sure Russia is better at that.

Why would he think that he should have ?   

18 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

Why do you say he made no attempt?  Did he have a screen name other than his real name?  And that's really beside the point.

Fact is, actually tracking people down for their real identities isn't all that hard.  Even here, members divulge all kinds of shit that could get them in real trouble if they run into the wrong sorts.  It's actually quite amazing to me too. Amazingly stupid.

The fact that CNN did this is even more amazingly stupid though.  Damn near unbelievable.

3 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Why would he think that he should have ?   

Why do you all keep saying he? We don't know their age, we don't know their sex, we don't know their race, we don't know their gender.... And they were making public statements! Since when do you get to do that with any expectation of privacy?

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Why do you say he made no attempt?  Did he have a screen name other than his real name?  And that's really beside the point.

Fact is, actually tracking people down for their real identities isn't all that hard.  Even here, members divulge all kinds of shit that could get them in real trouble if they run into the wrong sorts.  It's actually quite amazing to me too. Amazingly stupid.

The fact that CNN did this is even more amazingly stupid though.  Damn near unbelievable.

You guys could absolutely link Wildboer to the real person typing this, but I'll defend everything Wildboer says if you do that lol

• Platinum Contributing Member

CNN is taking a beating like no other media organization has.   I'd say 1/3 of the random Instagram feeds I get are anti-CNN.   Advertisers beware.  America is fed up.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

CNN is taking a beating like no other media organization has.   I'd say 1/3 of the random Instagram feeds I get are anti-CNN.   Advertisers beware.  America is fed up.  

NOW it's really viral :lmao: