Sanders: GOP healthcare bill 'barbaric and immoral'

What do you Sanders voters think about the Senate HC plan?

Sanders: GOP healthcare bill 'barbaric and immoral'

BY JORDAIN CARNEY - 06/26/17 09:02 PM EDT

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) ripped the GOP proposal to repeal and replace ObamaCare on Monday night, after the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated that an extra 22 million people would become uninsured over the next decade. 

"I know this is a very sensitive issue, but I'm going to raise it, and that is that the horrible and unspeakable truth is that if this legislation were to pass ... many thousands of our fellow Americans every single year will die, and many more will suffer and become much sicker than they should," Sanders said from the Senate floor. 

He added that the legislation, which was unveiled late last week, is "barbaric and immoral." 

Sanders's comments were part of a Democratic protest from the Senate floor on Monday night ahead of a vote on the GOP proposal, which leadership wants to take up before the July 4th recess. 

Another group of Senate Democrats sat on the steps outside the Capitol, streaming their comments about the bill live on social media.

In addition to predicting that an additional 22 million would become uninsured by 2026, the CBO analysis also found that lower financial assistance would make premiums unaffordable for many low-income people.

Sanders added on Monday night that the GOP bill "must be defeated" and "is not worthy of a great nation." 

"The Congressional Budget Office analysis ... gives us 22 million reasons why this legislation should not see the light of day," he said. 

GOP leadership has a narrow path to passing their bill. They have 52 seats, meaning they can only lose two GOP senators and still rely on Vice President Mike Pence break a tie. 

So far, four GOP senators have said they will vote against proceeding to the House-passed bill that is being used a vehicle for the Senate's legislation—enough support to kill the measure unless further changes are made. Several other GOP senator signaled on Monday that they are undecided. 

No Democrats are expected to support the Republican legislation.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/339589-sanders-gop-healthcare-bill-barbaric-and-immoral

2 hours ago, FAT DAVE said:

From what ive seen it will save billions.

It will be a very nice tax for me, but 22 million people will lose insurance.....you have to think that Bernie might be right when he says it's immoral.

Its a shit plan that gives the rich a massive tax break ......shocker 

Just like the ACA was a shit bill that shifted costs for those that dont work on to the middle class.......shocker

• Like 2

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Its a shit plan that gives the rich a massive tax break ......shocker 

Just like the ACA was a shit bill that shifted costs for those that dont work on to the middle class.......shocker

I know a number of small business people who the ACA gave them opportunity to start or continue a business because of ACA.

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I know a number of small business people who the ACA gave them opportunity to start or continue a business because of ACA.

And I know people that made 40k per month inspecting grounding systems in Iraq so we could stop electrocuting soldiers......what the fuck is your point.

Just because it helped a tiny amount of people and gave the lazy and poor some free healthcare does not mean it was worth the trillions it cost and the garbage care it foisted on those that could afford to pay

I say there is ultimately 2 solutions..

1. End the employer mandate. That will save businesses billions each year and cause the insurance companies AND the medical providers to compete for service.

2. UHC. Also saves businesses billions each year and everybody will have coverage and everybody will contribute. 

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

I say there is ultimately 2 solutions..

1. End the employer mandate. That will save businesses billions each year and cause the insurance companies AND the medical providers to compete for service.

2. UHC. Also saves businesses billions each year and everybody will have coverage and everybody will contribute. 

UHC is the only way forward and we need to think outside the box to avoid the typical pitfalls associated with government implementing things and fucking them up 

Like a rotating civilian oversight committee or something 

The republican clown posse in congress is more concerned with million and billionaires making MORE money than the health and day to day quality of life of Americans. WTF is wrong with these assholes?

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

UHC is the only way forward and we need to think outside the box to avoid the typical pitfalls associated with government implementing things and fucking them up 

Like a rotating civilian oversight committee or something 

Take the profits out. National plan just fuckin do it.

Just now, Mainecat said:

Take the profits out. National plan just fuckin do it.

National plan is fine but if we let the R and D assfucks hash out the details there will be just as much fraud as there is profit 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

National plan is fine but if we let the R and D assfucks hash out the details there will be just as much fraud as there is profit 

Until you take the private corp money out of elections it will never happen.

Politicians have lost their way.....they are supposed to be working for their constituents in their home state not some corp that gave them a million dollars to run for office as a hacky ass slave to them.

All politics should be local as it once was.